vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up singing the same national anthem as James. I'm very much Australian.

I suppose it depends on what age you moved to Australia. I wouldn't personally class anyone as Australian who spent the first 15 years of their life in another country.

(I have no idea how old Tamou was when he moved here)

I suppose it depends on what age you moved to Australia. I wouldn't personally class anyone as Australian who spent the first 15 years of their life in another country.

I think the article says 13.

I think the article says 13.

True, that's borderline. Been in NZ the first half of his life and been in Australia the second half - I'd still classify that as Kiwi.

If he truly "felt" Australian and had pride in playing for Australia he'd have that citizenship done the second he could, not making a shitty excuse that's it's like half a day's pay.

You move to a country if you want to live there and be part of the culture and what not. I was born here and I don't sing the stupid anthem, that has nothing to do with it. I don't believe there is a minimum amount of time you have to live here to be considered Australian. It's pretty simple - if you live here, you are Australian. You should be able to play for whoever you want - not forced into anything. That said, I think Semi is just doing it for the money. If he wanted to be the 'greatest Fijian player ever'...he would play for Fiji. I doubt he'll pass Petero in 'greatness' anyway..

I was 14. Slight difference is I was actually born here and hold an Australian passport, and have always identified as Australian even when I was a kid. But I'll happily sing the NZ anthem too. And by god, I will fucking wish loss on the Kangaroos over the Kiwis any day of the week. Because just like Union, the Australians just ooze arrogance and bullshit IMO. This crap of playing two players who aren't from their country are the reason that only Australians like Australian national teams. They tried it on for years back in the day in Union too.

You move to a country if you want to live there and be part of the culture and what not. I was born here and I don't sing the stupid anthem, that has nothing to do with it. I don't believe there is a minimum amount of time you have to live here to be considered Australian. It's pretty simple - if you live here, you are Australian. You should be able to play for whoever you want - not forced into anything. That said, I think Semi is just doing it for the money. If he wanted to be the 'greatest Fijian player ever'...he would play for Fiji. I doubt he'll pass Petero in 'greatness' anyway..

No you shouldn't. Living here doesn't make you Australian at all. When you have a bit of paper that says you went through the rigmarole to become an Australian, that's when you can call yourself an Aussie. But we have eligibility rules for a reason, well, at least I thought we did.

I was 14. Slight difference is I was actually born here and hold an Australian passport, and have always identified as Australian even when I was a kid. But I'll happily sing the NZ anthem too. And by god, I will fucking wish loss on the Kangaroos over the Kiwis any day of the week. Because just like Union, the Australians just ooze arrogance and bullshit IMO. This crap of playing two players who aren't from their country are the reason that only Australians like Australian national teams. They tried it on for years back in the day in Union too.

Obviously you're not on Twitter much. The amount of Kiwis claiming their greatness after beating 2nd string Aussie teams selected by Tim Sheens was cringe-worthy. Also I'm fairly sure the Kiwis and the All Blacks have been using players from every island close to them since their inception.

Obviously you're not on Twitter much. The amount of Kiwis claiming their greatness after beating 2nd string Aussie teams selected by Tim Sheens was cringe-worthy. Also I'm fairly sure the Kiwis and the All Blacks have been using players from every island close to them since their inception.

Yep.Don't know about twitter but I used to feel sorry for NZ until they actually started winning a few games then I saw how over-the-top their fans are when they win. Declaring how shit Australia is and how great they are. Never felt sorry for them since. No matter how many times you try telling them that private school boys are the only people who care about Union in Australia they don't accept it. Can't wait for tomorrow night and here's hoping Australia smash them.

No you shouldn't. Living here doesn't make you Australian at all. When you have a bit of paper that says you went through the rigmarole to become an Australian, that's when you can call yourself an Aussie. But we have eligibility rules for a reason, well, at least I thought we did.

Living in a country makes you a citizen of that country...no need for the bullshit politics we currently live with. Anyone should be able to get said piece of paper and then consider themselves Australian from that moment on - and if they so desire, represent the country in a football game.

Players should be free to represent the place they live in and consider home - regardless of where they were born (a choice they had no say in).

Living in a country makes you a citizen of that country...no need for the bullshit politics we currently live with. Anyone should be able to get said piece of paper and then consider themselves Australian from that moment on - and if they so desire, represent the country in a football game.

Players should be free to represent the place they live in and consider home - regardless of where they were born (a choice they had no say in).

James doesn't even have the bit of paper. So how bad does he really want to be an Australian? None.

The reason we're meant to have the eligibility rules in the game, is to progress the game. It's laughable that Australia would rather see the competition reduced, than attempt to grow the game and possibly have to worry about more than just one team.

Yep

Pacific islanders have been crucial to New Zealand Rugby for decades. One of their greatest players of all time is Samoan and I wouldn't be surprised if half the players in the domestic competition are Samoans, Tongans, Fijians, Cook Islanders etc.

Edit: Michael Jones is his name and he even played for Samoa as well

Last edited:
Not to mention, half their league team (maybe exaggeration) were born in or grew up in Australia. Their last test captain (Foran) speaks with a perfect Australian Occa accent.

That said, Tamou should be playing for NZ and Radradra Fiji.

As for where you live you are a citizen of there, well you are a resident of there but not a citizen. I have lived in other countries for a number of years in my life and I never considered myself to be from there or identify as Chinese/Canadian/Korean etc.

Not to mention, half their league team (maybe exaggeration) were born in or grew up in Australia. Their last test captain (Foran) speaks with a perfect Australian Occa accent.

As for where you live you are a citizen of there, well you are a resident of there but not a citizen. I have lived in other countries for a number of years in my life and I never considered myself to be from there or identify as Chinese/Canadian/Korean etc.

Foran definitely has a kiwi twang. Nightingale though...

Yes, but rather than impose some arbitrary time requirement for eligibilility - those that come here and choose to make it their home should be able to represent their chosen home. Like I said, I think Semi is just doing it for the money and fame, probably the same with Tamou. Resident/citizen gets into nationalistic non-sense that I hate. It's a game of footy...not a war. If I move to America - from the day after I moved there, I would consider myself an American. Like I said, you don't get to choose where you are born, but you do get to choose where you live and where you consider your home...and everyone should have the opportunity to represent the place they call home, imo.

Foran definitely has a kiwi twang. Nightingale though...

What do you mean? Look how happy he is do be performing his nation's traditional war dance. Spirit fingers!

1366477200000.jpg

James doesn't even have the bit of paper. So how bad does he really want to be an Australian? None.

Maybe he doesn't, but it's also possible that he just doesn't feel like he needs a bit of paper to be Australian. I've known many people who have come here to live, some felt Australian only after they were granted citizenship, some felt that way after getting PR and went on to get citizenship anyway and some felt PR was enough and never bothered to become citizens for various reasons. All of these people consider themselves Aussies, it just varies from person to person.

I'll never take the International game seriously as long as players HAVE to play for Australia if they want to play origin. Any player would be silly to not choose to play origin, there's more money and publicity in origin than anything else. For Tamou it's a business decision to play for Australia, not a passion. He's full of shit. At least you know with the Kiwi team, everyone who chooses to play there (that have the option of playing for AU, and most do) are making a real sacrifice to play for their country. It's much more believable.

Go the Kiwis...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Strop
  • Pablo
  • Allo
  • bb_gun
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.