Australia vs India - Test Series

Again, I disagree. His head is over the ball, has a beautiful hand / arm position and gets to the pitch of the ball. He can create angles with his footwork and at the moment he hits the ball, he is technically perfect. People get his quirkiness mixed up with lack of technique. Yes, he can and does improvise a lot but he is still a beautiful batsman to watch when he wants to be. Again, because of his quirkiness, he is never going to look like a Kohli or a Laxman. If I was teaching a kid how to bat, I would have zero hesitation showing him Smith, why wouldn't you model after the second best test batsman of all time?
If anything it shows you don’t have to be a drone to technique, get a solid base and then work out different ways to play the ball that in itself achieves a bunch of things, including everyone getting the shits trying to get you out.
watching smith is a god dam privilege and I love every minute of it, He’s a wizard!

Again, I disagree. His head is over the ball, has a beautiful hand / arm position and gets to the pitch of the ball. He can create angles with his footwork and at the moment he hits the ball, he is technically perfect. People get his quirkiness mixed up with lack of technique. Yes, he can and does improvise a lot but he is still a beautiful batsman to watch when he wants to be. Again, because of his quirkiness, he is never going to look like a Kohli or a Laxman. If I was teaching a kid how to bat, I would have zero hesitation showing him Smith, why wouldn't you model after the second best test batsman of all time?

I don't think you understand my point at all, where his head finishes is one aspect of technique. His head has to be perfect because of the other things. If he gets that wrong which he never does it opens up a gap to be bowled.

What about his bottom hand grip, his bat faces point, His arc that starts wide, because of his arc he has a gap between bat and pad- he has a perfect impact point to counter it, walking across his stumps, his first movement is always back and across outside off. He hits ball that should traditionally go through cover on the leg side.

So much about him is different to the norm. His head aside you won't find any of that written down at Lords.

If anything it shows you don’t have to be a drone to technique, get a solid base and then work out different ways to play the ball that in itself achieves a bunch of things, including everyone getting the shits trying to get you out.
watching smith is a god dam privilege and I love every minute of it, He’s a wizard!

100% he's a terrific study but saying he follows the book 100% is just plain wrong. If he did follow convention he wouldn't be so interesting to pull apart and work out how he gets runs despite doing so much different.

Like I said earlier the National coaches now, don't change technique if it's working and you aren't hurting yourself this normally applies to bowling actions.

They worked out that trying to get every kid to have their elbow to the sky and all that can take away skill.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand my point at all, where his head finishes is one aspect of technique. His head has to be perfect because of the other things. If he gets that wrong which he never does it opens up a gap to be bowled.

What about his bottom hand grip, his bat faces point, His arc that starts wide, because of his arc he has a gap between bat and pad- he has a perfect impact point to counter it, walking across his stumps, his first movement is always back and across outside off. He hits ball that should traditionally go through cover on the leg side.

So much about him is different to the norm. His head aside you won't find any of that written down at Lords.

This is just one video but what is wrong with his technique in here:

This is just one video but what is wrong with his technique in here:

Nothing wrong with it- It's his and that's great.

See previous comment about you not understanding.

The blurb on the video.

The Australia skipper is being compared to the great Don Bradman, but Steve Smith has his own unique style that make this video a must-watch.

I see all those things in that video that I just told you about. I am not saying it's wrong or should be changed I am just saying it's not the norm and it's not text book.

Last edited:
Green is one of the most talented and composed batsmen I have seen at his age in a long time. I just really hope our sports scientist guys don't take any unnecessary risks with him.

I don't doubt his ability to be a genuinely top bowler but I think for the sake of his body we shouldn't be pushing him to bowl too many overs in red ball cricket. He's comfortably in the top 5 batsmen in the country and if having him fit and batting consistently means sacrificing his bowling I wouldn't be phased about that.

Green is one of the most talented and composed batsmen I have seen at his age in a long time. I just really hope our sports scientist guys don't take any unnecessary risks with him.

I don't doubt his ability to be a genuinely top bowler but I think for the sake of his body we shouldn't be pushing him to bowl too many overs in red ball cricket. He's comfortably in the top 5 batsmen in the country and if having him fit and batting consistently means sacrificing his bowling I wouldn't be phased about that.

I don't think you need to sacrifice the bowling, just have him to short bursts, he is VERY effective at that already.

100% he's a terrific study but saying he follows the book 100% is just plain wrong. If he did follow convention he wouldn't be so interesting to pull apart and work out how he gets runs despite doing so much different.

Like I said earlier the National coaches now, don't change technique if it's working and you aren't hurting yourself this normally applies to bowling actions.

They worked out that trying to get every kid to have their elbow to the sky and all that can take away skill.
Yep!
I was one of those kids growing up around 14/15 where I was told to change my elbow action, played first drop to then quitting. It took away my natural action and ruined me.

but that my fault for not realising, I’m glad to hear they aren’t pushing that so much anymore 👍.

I don't think you need to sacrifice the bowling, just have him to short bursts, he is VERY effective at that already.
I agree completely that's how he should be used.

My concern is that playing across the three formats he would still be bowling quite abit even if its only 5-10 overs each innings that does add up. Mitch Marsh when batting 6 would usually bowl between 10-20 overs. Green would need to be rolling the arm over in the nets too.

I know this example may be the exception but take a look at the Bird injury and lets see how many overs he bowls in this innings. It is not out of the realms of possibility for any of our front line quicks to go down and Green's overs increase, especially if we don't have an option like Head or Marsh in our middle order.

Last edited:
Phil Hughes had a wonky technique that everyone criticised, yet he continued to make runs for fun at all levels right until the end. Batting technique doesn't matter if you're making runs, simple as that. If it works for you, it works.

I think the 8 or so they bowled him in the first innings was about right for the moment. Not much more than that

Last edited:
I think the 8 or so they bowled him in the first innings was about right for the moment. Not much more than that
Yeah 8 in the 1st innings.

And the 4 he’s bowled this innings is it for him apparently, he’s done.

I agree completely that's how he should be used.

My concern is that playing across the three formats he would still be bowling quite abit even if its only 5-10 overs each innings that does add up. Mitch Marsh when batting 6 would usually bowl between 10-20 overs. Green would need to be rolling the arm over in the nets too.

I know this example may be the exception but take a look at the Bird injury and lets see how many overs he bowls in this innings. It is not out of the realms of possibility for any of our front line quicks to go down and Green's overs increase, especially if we don't have an option like Head or Marsh in our middle order.
I think we treat him like a batsman at this stage who might bowl some overs now and then. I agree if a bowler goes down the temptation is to use him like Shane Watson was used when this happened. But we would have to avoid that this season at least I think. Head or Labuschagne and even smith could share some of the load.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • ezpz
  • Culhwch
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Dexter
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • bert_lifts
  • Griffo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.