Australia vs India - Test Series

Burns has been picked over Harris. Wade opening with Green in at 6.

Selectors. Wow.

What is wrong with that? Wade is a gamble sure but I am ok with Burns being given one more shot, particularly given if he fails, he will be replaced by Pucovski anyway. Harris hasn't done enough to earn a recall either and Green is just so good you can't leave him out.

The more I think about it the more I want to load up on India for the first test. It was very shrewd of them to ensure it wouldn't be at the Gabba and I think they'll have done their homework on the pink ball under lights. Adelaide will suit their strong batting line up.

Going 1v1 down the team lists they comfortably have the better XI. Even the world class guys we have like Smith, Labu and Cummins are matched by the combined quality of Kohli, Rahane, Pujara and Bumrah.

I'm usually quite optimistic about any home series but I just feel they will get us this test. The one big thing we do have in our favour is Steve Smith is a genuine freak. If we get anywhere near winning this test it will be on the back of his bat.

It is pretty close to be honest, I'd go something like:

1. Gill / Shaw (If Warner was playing he is in hands down, opener is a problem for both sides)
2. Agarwal
3. Labushagne *JUST ahead of Pujara on the fact it is Marnus's home country, this is a toss of the coin
4. Smith
5. Kohli
6. Jadeja (Green is an unknown quantity at test level and Jadeja is a bonafide star)
7. Pant/Saha *This is another coin toss, Pant has the big score in him, Saha and Paine cancel each other out
8. Cummins
9. Shami
10. Hazlewood
11. Bumrah

It is pretty close to be honest, I'd go something like:

1. Gill / Shaw (If Warner was playing he is in hands down, opener is a problem for both sides)
2. Agarwal
3. Labushagne *JUST ahead of Pujara on the fact it is Marnus's home country, this is a toss of the coin
4. Smith
5. Kohli
6. Jadeja (Green is an unknown quantity at test level and Jadeja is a bonafide star)
7. Pant/Saha *This is another coin toss, Pant has the big score in him, Saha and Paine cancel each other out
8. Cummins
9. Shami
10. Hazlewood
11. Bumrah
So even with a generous coin flip at first drop its still 7 out of 11 in India's favour.

I really rate Marnus and would take him over Pujara but there's no way he can be considered better at this point in his career. Pujara has done it all.

Pant easily gets the gloves in a combined XI - his FC batting average is just shy of 50 and his test average is a fair few runs better than Paine's or Saha's. He could easily bat at 6.

So even with a generous coin flip at first drop its still 7 out of 11 in India's favour.

I really rate Marnus and would take him over Pujara but there's no way he can be considered better at this point in his career. Pujara has done it all.

Pant easily gets the gloves in a combined XI - his FC batting average is just shy of 50 and his test average is a fair few runs better than Paine's or Saha's. He could easily bat at 6.

But all of that is irrelevant when you have unproven guys playing away from home, ala Agarwal, Gill and Shaw. Plus both sides are two batsmen with a supporting cast and two gun pacemen with a gun spinner. It will be close and that is what you want in a test series isn't it?

But all of that is irrelevant when you have unproven guys playing away from home, ala Agarwal, Gill and Shaw. Plus both sides are two batsmen with a supporting cast and two gun pacemen with a gun spinner. It will be close and that is what you want in a test series isn't it?
Well we can agree to disagree on that last bit...but I certainly think it will be a cracking series!

I think we win it 2-1 after bouncing back from an upset in Adelaide and there will be a draw in there too. What's your prediction?

Last edited:
Well we can agree to disagree on that last bit...but I certainly think it will be a cracking series!

I think we win it 2-1 after bouncing back from an upset in Adelaide and there will be a draw in there too. What's your prediction?

Yeah I reckon 2-1 sounds about right. I also wouldn't be surprised if it ended up a flogging either.

Oh dear at Burns being picked with a single figure FC average this season, and in batting conditions (aka highways) where huge scores have been put on. He’ll probably score a scrappy 50 and people will go on about it being a good selection, but there’s no way he should be there.

I genuinely view this as a last hoorah for Burns & Wade. I think this is the last match they play for Australia regardless of what they score (Unless it's like a match-winning 100 in the 2nd innings or something), assuming Warner & Pucovski are both passed fit for the Boxing Day match.

The only way I see either of them surviving is if Langer for some reason wants to hold Pucovski off for another 12 months due to the latest concussion, which doesn't really make sense, given the form he's in.

I genuinely view this as a last hoorah for Burns & Wade. I think this is the last match they play for Australia regardless of what they score (Unless it's like a match-winning 100 in the 2nd innings or something), assuming Warner & Pucovski are both passed fit for the Boxing Day match.

The only way I see either of them surviving is if Langer for some reason wants to hold Pucovski off for another 12 months due to the latest concussion, which doesn't really make sense, given the form he's in.
Crazy post. What if Wade scores a 50 and Head doesn't pass 10 in either innings?

I'd be bringing Puco and Warner in for Boxing Day and I think Green deserves a shot at the 6 long term but I'm not sure Wade is completely out of the picture if he fails batting out of position.

Crazy post. What if Wade scores a 50 and Head doesn't pass 10 in either innings?

I'd be bringing Puco and Warner in for Boxing Day and I think Green deserves a shot at the 6 long term but I'm not sure Wade is completely out of the picture if he fails batting out of position.

They're not dropping Head to give Wade an extra 12 months in the side. Wade is 33 in a couple of weeks, Head is 26, touted as a future captain and has the superior test record, FC record and recent FC form.

They're not dropping Head to give Wade an extra 12 months in the side. Wade is 33 in a couple of weeks, Head is 26, touted as a future captain and has the superior test record, FC record and recent FC form.
Langer has brought stability and confidence. I back his decisions. If he sticks with Burns I can accept that. No way Wade goes. He has been good. I am glad they are giving Head some time to settle in rather than chopping and changing.

They should be picking the better player. I rate Head but he's by no means got that position locked down and I think it's unfair that we judge Wade opening when he's piled up the runs lower in the order.

Anyway this is something I'm sure we can discuss after the first test and will be a talking point throughout the summer.

India XI:

1.) Prithvi Shaw
2.) Mayank Agarwal
3.) Cheteshwar Pujara
4.) Virat Kohli (c)
5.) Ajinkya Rahane
6.) Hanuma Vihari
7.) Wriddhiman Saha (wk)
8.) Ravichandran Ashwin
9.) Umesh Yadav
10.) Mohammed Shami
11.) Jasprit Bumrah

India XI:

1.) Prithvi Shaw
2.) Mayank Agarwal
3.) Cheteshwar Pujara
4.) Virat Kohli (c)
5.) Ajinkya Rahane
6.) Hanuma Vihari
7.) Wriddhiman Saha (wk)
8.) Ravichandran Ashwin
9.) Umesh Yadav
10.) Mohammed Shami
11.) Jasprit Bumrah

Wow Saha over Pant, Ashwin over Jadeja and Shaw over Gill, I would have gone the other way with all three.

Wade confirmed to open and Green gets his debut:

1. Wade
2. Burns
3. Labushagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Oh great, another Matt Nable video, asked for by no one ever.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Painin the Haas
  • Rah88
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Big Del
  • Old Mate
  • Gaz
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • Astro
  • pennywisealfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manofoneway
  • ezpz
  • Wild Horse
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skyblues87
  • theshed
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.