Australia vs India - Test Series

Mild hammy injury, he passed a fitness test yesterday apparently, all good for first test (if needed).

Well there might only be XI guys fit at this rate. I reckon India might be more than a fair chance for the first test.

What's the justification for Head keeping his spot while Wade misses out?

In 19/20 test season, Wade averaged 43.4 while Head averaged 39.5. They both played 5 tests.
In the only test of 2020, Wade scored 22 and Head scored 10.

If you look at their shield performances over the last two seasons
2019/20:
Wade, 4 matches, 58.8 average, 3 50s
Head, 6 matches, 40 average, 3 50s, 1 100

2018/19:
Wade, 10 matches, 60.05 average, 8 50s, 2 100s
Head, 7 matches, 37.15 average, 5 50s

The difference between the two in test cricket is that Wade scored two centuries in the Ashes in England (series in which Head was dropped) whereas Head plundered runs at home against Sri Lanka and scored a ton v New Zealand.

Wade's form in white ball cricket recently hasn't been bad either.
I like Wade, and I can’t really make a case for Head on numbers alone, but I think he’ll end up the better batsmen of the two and he has no excuses but to start now. He averages over 40 while still managing to frustrate everyone with the way he’s played, I think there’s a lot of upside with him. If he stops getting caught at 3rd man once he’s set it’d go a long way to solving his problems. Couldn’t really complain if they went Wade instead though.

I like Wade, and I can’t really make a case for Head on numbers alone, but I think he’ll end up the better batsmen of the two and he has no excuses but to start now. He averages over 40 while still managing to frustrate everyone with the way he’s played, I think there’s a lot of upside with him. If he stops getting caught at 3rd man once he’s set it’d go a long way to solving his problems. Couldn’t really complain if they went Wade instead though.

Head does have time on his side, if Wade gets dropped, he might not get back in and out of the two, Wade has done less wrong.

Head does have time on his side, if Wade gets dropped, he might not get back in and out of the two, Wade has done less wrong.
It's a 50/50 call if you had to drop one but I think Ashes centuries in England count for more than runs at home v SL.

I'm all for the youth argument but I just think Wade is in the top 6 bats in the country. He's been the best shield batsman over the last 3 seasons and the fact he forced his way back into the test side without the gloves should count for something.

It's a 50/50 call if you had to drop one but I think Ashes centuries in England count for more than runs at home v SL.

I'm all for the youth argument but I just think Wade is in the top 6 bats in the country. He's been the best shield batsman over the last 3 seasons and the fact he forced his way back into the test side without the gloves should count for something.
Wade deserves his place. He is a no.6 or no. 5 to me. Should not open.

I originally said bring in Marsh and Kawaja for a test but I have a feeling it will be more than one test so Renshaw and Harris. I would not play green after his head knock.

Last edited:
Deadset, you guys just see that first ball from Sangha to Lynn? Put him in the test team, that was Warne-like! Beautiful, way too good for a 20/20 tournament.

Langer confirms Green will debut if he passes the concussion test!

Langer confirms Green will debut if he passes the concussion test!
I think they're going to get cute and put Labu at the top of the order.

India at 2.85 are great odds.

Langer has said that won't be happening, they don't want to move the order around. It will either be Wade to open or Wade dropped by the sounds of it.

Langer has said that won't be happening, they don't want to move the order around. It will either be Wade to open or Wade dropped by the sounds of it.
So they don't want to move the order around but they're considering Wade up to open?

Haha sounds like they genuinely have no idea.

So do I and I think it's a massive mistake.

Number 3 and 4 should be your best batsmen and they're happy to **** around with our most rock solid pair instead of picking a makeshift opener for 1 match.

It's like they've forgotten how long it's taken to find a replacement for Ponting and think let's just move our second best up to open because he'll probably come in so early anyway.

Even if the make shift can see out 10 overs at least that would provide some sort of protection, but nah **** that let's put our best batsmen in at 2 and 3 and hope for a miracle.

Imagine if Marnus gets out in the first couple overs and Smith comes in at 1/5 or something

Yeah would be dumb to move the entire order up a spot.

I think they'll open with Wade.

Wade averages 45.5 in test cricket batting at 5 and has never opened. His resurgence in this format has been batting at 5/6 for Tasmania.

If one of he or Head have to move up he's the better option because of his ODI experience but in all honesty it feels as if we're compromising our order by doing this.

Unless Head goes big, I would like to hope that if Wade fails at the top of the order in this test that he's not dropped for Warner off the back of it - he deserves another crack batting at 5.

Wade averages 45.5 in test cricket batting at 5 and has never opened. His resurgence in this format has been batting at 5/6 for Tasmania.

If one of he or Head have to move up he's the better option because of his ODI experience but in all honesty it feels as if we're compromising our order by doing this.

Unless Head goes big, I would like to hope that if Wade fails at the top of the order in this test that he's not dropped for Warner off the back of it - he deserves another crack batting at 5.
They're basically weighing up whether it's better to go with any one of the openers who have completely failed and preserving the middle order or picking a promising middle order player and hoping a make shift opener can do a job.

Crazy how bad all the openers have been... Marcus Harris is a shoe in at the moment despite modest scores in the trial matches because he made a double century in shield cricket a few weeks back... desperate times

I'm not sure where all the calls for Wade to open have come from.

Opening in ODI's and T20's is completely different prospect to opening in Tests... Paine opens in T20's for Hobart, Gilly opened in ODI's. It's not like they're out there seeing off the new ball in limited overs they're out there smacking it around.

I think they should probably just go SMarsh or Usman for one test. They open in ODI's and whatnot, but they dont really go out there to smack it around. They still have the temperament of an opener.

The only thing I'd say about Uzzy is that he had a pretty shithouse start to the shield season with only decent scores in the last match or so

Last edited:

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Nightwatchman
  • Muros
  • Battler
  • Manofoneway
  • heartly87
  • Jedhead
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Wild Horse
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • mrtij
  • Big Del
  • marw
  • Gaz
  • Dexter
  • BroncosAlways
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.