Australia vs India - Test Series

Ashwin’s record is incredible for an off spinner.. I know he’s had the benefit of home conditions tailor made for his craft but what he’s done out here in Australia has proven just how good he is. I believe he averages about 30 with the ball outside of India which is outstanding in itself for an offie
I didn't think he was all that successful in Australia outside of this series, where he has been much better.

His previous tours from cricinfo are below and prior to this series he was averaging 48.07 (27 wickets in 12 innings). Granted he's averaging 28.8 this series, but including his 2020 tour to his all time Australian record his average is 42.15.

Only played 1 game in 2018/19 (guess he got injured??), but there was no Smith or Warner... batting lineup of Finch, Marcus Harris, Ussie, Smarsh, Handscomb, Head & Paine.

TourNameMatInnsOversMdnsRunsWktsAveEconSR5-wick inn10-wick match
2011/12R Ashwin (INDIA)
3​
5​
168​
20​
565​
9​
62.77​
3.36​
112​
0​
0​
2014/15R Ashwin (INDIA)
3​
5​
171.4​
27​
584​
12​
48.66​
3.4​
85.8​
0​
0​
2018/19R Ashwin (INDIA)
1​
2​
86.5​
22​
149​
6​
24.83​
1.71​
86.8​
0​
0​
2020/21R Ashwin (INDIA)
3​
6​
134.1​
19​
346​
12​
28.83​
2.57​
67​
0​
0​

Ashwin’s record is incredible for an off spinner.. I know he’s had the benefit of home conditions tailor made for his craft but what he’s done out here in Australia has proven just how good he is. I believe he averages about 30 with the ball outside of India which is outstanding in itself for an offie
He's elite. He will be one of the quickest ever to 400 wickets and his average is phenomenal.

4 test tons with an average of 27 with the bat too. If he were Aussie we'd probably consider him an all rounder haha

Last edited:
He's elite. He will be one of the quickest ever to 400 wickets and his average is phenomenal.

4 test tons with an average of 27 with the bat too. If he were Aussie we'd probably consider him an all rounder haha

He IS an all rounder, he is a bowling all rounder, as was Mitchell Johnson, Vernon Philander, Mitchell Starc, Shaun Pollock, Daniel Vettori, Ryan Harris and Stuart Broad. But because they don't have freakish averages like a Kallis, Stokes or Flintoff of over 30 in batting and around 30 for bowling, they don't seem to count for some reason.

But regardless, I am amazed at Jadeja. The dude doesn't spin the ball, yet has a better bowling average than pretty much any other off spinner in test cricket currently AND is a genuine all rounder in any definition of it.

This is why Ashwin's allroundhood is sometimes overlooked because of just how good the other spinning all rounder in the team is. Ashwin is the MacGill to Jadeja's Warne so to speak.

But regardless, I am amazed at Jadeja. The dude doesn't spin the ball, yet has a better bowling average than pretty much any other off spinner in test cricket currently AND is a genuine all rounder in any definition of it.

This is why Ashwin's allroundhood is sometimes overlooked because of just how good the other spinning all rounder in the team is. Ashwin is the MacGill to Jadeja's Warne so to speak.
Jadeja is also a gun fielder. He's probably the best in the world at that right now too.

Kallis is easily the greatest all rounder I have ever seen but Jadeja is going to push him close by the time he retires if he continues on this trajectory.

As you say, his big issue is selection and getting a game when Ashwin is his competition.

Jadeja is also a gun fielder. He's probably the best in the world at that right now too.

Kallis is easily the greatest all rounder I have ever seen but Jadeja is going to push him close by the time he retires if he continues on this trajectory.

As you say, his big issue is selection and getting a game when Ashwin is his competition.

I think India have finally figured out they are both so valuable that you can afford to play them both if you put Pant at 6.

It's possibly 50 degrees at the Gabba this morning, very hot. The toss is vital if India win it and bat they could keep Australia in the field when they're cooked and tired.

I have been watching Australia's warm up and they aren't jumping out of their skin. Interesting to see how the 'Gabba is different in January to November and it's the first game of proper cricket here all summer.

Last edited:
Australia has spent 47.7 hours in the field, for 46 wickets. India has spent 46.15 hours in the field, for 48 wickets.

Interesting, seemed Australia had done more work than India but they haven't really.

I have a bad feeling about this test. Weaker at the top with Harris coming in and three cooked pacemen, plus a hole at number 5.

I have a bad feeling about this test. Weaker at the top with Harris coming in and three cooked pacemen, plus a hole at number 5.
If Bumrah doesn't play India have only got Ashwin. Even if Bumrah plays it appears he's a bit underdone so he may not get through the large workload he normally does. That would expose the lesser Indian pacemen like Saini.

No Jadeja either which is a huge blow to India.

Australia going in with 5 bowlers plus Marnus to provide some relief.

If Australia win the toss they could end up batting for 2 days if Bumrah is missing... that would give the quicks time to recover.

If Australia lose the toss India's batting is weakened through the loss of Jadeja and they may bring in another bowler which increases their tail.

I think Vihari is out as well... no big loss, but it does mean a new batsman is required and they could be playing for the first time on a fast bouncy Gabba wicket.

If Australia dont win there will be serious questions asked

Last edited:
Ashwin out now as well with Bumrah confirmed out.

India have no one left... Aussies should win this by Sunday!!

Ashwin out now as well with Bumrah confirmed out.

India have no one left... Aussies should win this by Sunday!!

Goodness me, if India win this, this would be embarrassing for Australia then. India's entire first choice bowling line up on the sidelines AND their first reserve paceman.

Green batting at the 'Gabba will be interesting I think his best 100 has been there, I was at the game watching him save it for WA in 2019 when he got 87 and 121 pulling the Warriors from 7/53. He was loving the bounce, dealt Swepson some big blows down the ground and over mid-on.

Why on earth wouldn't India choose Yadav? Sundar doesn't spin it at all, he should get absolutely annihilated.

Green batting at the 'Gabba will be interesting I think his best 100 has been there, I was at the game watching him save it for WA in 2019 when he got 87 and 121 pulling the Warriors from 7/53. He was loving the bounce, dealt Swepson some big blows down the ground and over mid-on.

I too saw that and this bowling attack offers less than Qld's did that game.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Johnny92
  • bazza
  • Stix
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • Organix
  • Broncosgirl
  • kman
  • cento
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • jd87
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • Santa
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.