Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Re: RUMOUR?: Boyd released by Knights, here it comes

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013

Maybe it's time to accept the inevitable? ... I'm going to support the Broncos no matter who puts on the jersey!

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008

Won't be long now before the announcement is made

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I am very neutral on this decision. I'm willing to give Boyd the benefit of the doubt, but if Barbas head rolls for this, I think it'll be a rubbish sequence of events.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Maybe it's time to accept the inevitable? ... I'm going to support the Broncos no matter who puts on the jersey!
I've accepted it long ago, and of course the Broncos stand above all of this, but like IBM says, it's gonna be a shitty sequence of events, because Boyd now has a mortgage on the FB position, no matter who else knocks or breaks the door down.

I just hope we don't loose one of Taylor or J. Nikorima, but I am pretty worried we will...

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

I've accepted it long ago, and of course the Broncos stand above all of this, but like IBM says, it's gonna be a shitty sequence of events, because Boyd now has a mortgage on the FB position, no matter who else knocks or breaks the door down.

I just hope we don't loose one of Taylor or J. Nikorima, but I am pretty worried we will...
I think we would lose at least one of them regardless of Boyd coming

X

xratedrattice

NYC Player
Oct 17, 2013
I'm completely prepared to get shot down here, but... it may not be the worst thing in the world having boyd at fullback when i think about the dynamics of our spine,

hunt mccullough and milford are all at their best running the ball, so i can see our outside backs not getting the ball enough, boyd to me is more of a norman esque type fullback, yes he is decently quick but i think his strengths lie in structured play roaming out the back for second man plays, which is bennents bread and butter... it might work out well having a more structured fullback rather then barba there leaving us with a spine full of livewires and no one to put the smart grubber into the in goal when needed or a simple cut out pass to a winger, yes i realise that hunts game is improving but it wouldnt be to bad to have an extra quality ballplayer out the back to ease the pressure off a new halves combination.

i also realise that barba isnt to bad of a ballplayer himself but alot of his passes look slow and easily interceptable. another player that needs to run first and pass second in my opinion

this is of course all speculation and it may not work out well at all but just some food for thought, very interested to see if anyone has a similar thought ?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Woah.. someone who actually has the same perspective as me, that's a nice change.

I can see Boyd putting in some nice little grubbers and cut out passes to Vidot & Copley, at a much more consistent rate than Barba did as well.

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
Said it a few times already and you all know I like repeating myself but I feel more confident in Boyd getting back to his 09/10 form than Barba getting back to his 2012 form.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Said it a few times already and you all know I like repeating myself but I feel more confident in Boyd getting back to his 09/10 form than Barba getting back to his 2012 form.

The biggest problem for Boyd is that he knows the fullback position is his regardless of how he plays. He doesn't have that pressure to perform or perish that most players have, and just maybe that is a big part of why his performances have been mainly sub par (except origin).

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I'm moving this to the appropriate thread.

What does Milford have to do with Barba vs. Boyd? The fact he has been confirmed as the 5/8 should only make things clearer.

These are the posts I am talking about, this one where you clearly indicate Boyd isn't that much of a fullback on the 22nd July 2014:

And another, where you specifically replied to my question whether we should get rid of Barba in favour of Boyd on the 4th August 2014:

As you can see, and you can check the original post, there is not mention of Milford anywhere. Barba's form did improve, and Boyd's... well, he didn't play much after that, between his stay at a clinic and subsequent holiday.

Those posts were months ago. Posted when I was concerned about boyds form but since then the has been explanations for it. What can't you understand about that

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
The biggest problem for Boyd is that he knows the fullback position is his regardless of how he plays. He doesn't have that pressure to perform or perish that most players have, and just maybe that is a big part of why his performances have been mainly sub par (except origin).

It's key as to why Boyd is happy to come to Brisbane as well, because Bennett puts his emotional view before his professional in terms of Boyd. The kid can do no wrong in his eyes and alongside Bennett is his only guaranteed payday.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Those posts were months ago. Posted when I was concerned about boyds form but since then the has been explanations for it. What can't you understand about that

And if that's how his personal life impact his playing ability, then I don't want him at the club.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

Accepting that Boyd's poor form at Newcastle his entire Knights stint is down to depression and that this fully explains it, it in no way alleviates it. We don't know if Boyd is mentally good right now and we certainly don't know if he's likely to lapse back into a bad state once again. Whilst you'd hope that it'll be good for Darius moving forward you can't turn a blind eye to it when building a roster and managing a cap.

There are risks to Boyd, in so many ways, that we just don't need to take.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
There are risks to Boyd, in so many ways, that we just don't need to take.

It's painful when a club you support takes a gamble on somebody and it backfires... (Hi Steve Nash)

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Hurrijo
  • Waynesaurus
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Maroon4life
  • Brocko
  • LittleDavey
  • bazza
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Fozz
  • sim0an
  • Broncos Maestro
  • broncos4life
  • bb_gun
  • Galah
  • Justwin
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.