Barba vs Boyd

Although I would have liked not to sign Boyd and instead let Barba have first crack at fullback, I guess we'll just have to accept it for what it is.

I honestly don't see Barba, a Dally M medal winning fullback lasting much longer at the club after being demoted to a bench role where he'll likely play short 20 minute spells, but I don't see many clubs chasing a "bench utility" This is a major fall from grace for a player who looked to have the world at his feet.

The thing that worries me is that Barba has his own personal issues that need help from a figure like Wayne, but instead Bennett has pretty much disregarded him and instead given him a kick in the guts by signing Boyd. He has denied him a chance to return to his devastating best and this could seriously derail Barba's career. To be honest, I'd much rather he stayed at the Dogs. I would hate to see Barba lost to the NRL.

The one thing I'll say about Bennett, is that he seems to be a little unfair to certain players. He will get rid of players he doesn't like, but bring those that he likes with him wherever he goes. I'd much rather he worked with the players he has at his disposal rather than potentially destroying their career.

This is a question I want to throw to all of you...

Can the Broncos win a premiership with Darius Boyd at fullback?

Or is the club doomed for three years?

Yes it can. The club is not doomed for the next three years, but IMO could potentially start to suffer after 3 years.

FYI though, I share the same opinion about winning a premiership with Barba at fullback.

Do you think we need Boyd to win a premiership?

If Roosters can win a premiership with Minichiello at the back, Broncos can win a premiership with Boyd at the back.

To be fair, the rest of the Roosters side was better.

But yeah, winning with Minichiello was definitely impressive.

Last edited:
To answer my own question.

I believe there's plenty of ways to win a NRL premiership.

Signing Boyd constitutes as one.

He may not be my preferred option, but if he can realistically play a role in the Broncos winning premiership #7 I say go for it.

I also don't think it's worth the incessant fighting.

It's a lot like representative selections. Mal Meninga may not select the 17 I want for every Origin but I'll be damned if I don't barrack for the Maroons.

Same thing here.

IMO, the signing of Boyd has the potential to have a negative effect on the playing group. Admittedly, this is most likely to occur if Boyd fails to perform yet continues to keep getting picked at fullback (especially if another player is knocking the door down).

Sure.

But that's really jumping at shadows. There's a lot of 'what ifs' that could hurt the team. At this stage, a lot of those concerns have little to no basis.

IMO, the signing of Boyd has the potential to have a negative effect on the playing group. Admittedly, this is most likely to occur if Boyd fails to perform yet continues to keep getting picked at fullback (especially if another player is knocking the door down).

If the team is poorer due to Boyd not performing then I'm certain WB will shift him to wing and review his performance. Just because someone did something once does not mean they will always do it. If WB has persisted with players in the past it was because he realized that everyone from waterboy to master coach have ups and downs,it's what defines human behaviour. WB is certainly smart enough to know that we always evolve and learn on the way and he does not see himself as having learned all that there is.

So many anti WB posters were supporters of Griffin, asking that he be given more time but they were ultimately disappointed,he failed to evolve and see his errors, he was too stubborn but WB is not. He has admitted to mistakes and taken the inherent lesson from it. Before posters condemn him without a game being played they should chill out and wait, the same way they demanded a Griffin be given a chance.

Let me ask you a question Pete; does the signing of Boyd suggest Bennett is in win now mode and is willing to sacrifice potential future success for immediate returns?

Sure.

The signing of Darius Boyd signifies Wayne's intention of trying to win a premiership.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Nor do I think it necessarily means that he's going to neglect the future of the club.

Bennett's actions so far seem to suggest that he believes the squad that Griffin left behind is solid and refined enough that not much work needs to be done to open their premiership window. Were we not lacking just that extra bit of discipline and polish that a quality coach puts on the team, the one thing Griffin couldn't provide, and it was visible in our 2014 season.

Had Bennett been coach of the 2014 Broncos, I daresay we would've actually won those close, clutch games that prevented us finishing top 4.

Haha, ok... let's go with that. :takdir:

Why do you always have to be a condescending arsehole just because I don't agree with you?

I took the time to respond to your posts and accusations and that's all I get back?

**** it, I'm done

i believe they will improve with boyd at fullback, there seems to be a lot of animosity towards him and more favoured towards barba being in the 1 jersey. Lets just stop for a second and take in to perspective that boyd is a winner, broncos mach 1, dragons premiership and the dominant qld team in which he has been an integral part of for years now. the knights project was off in 2014 however prior to that he was pretty bloody good.... remembering the knights in 2013 were 1 game short of the gf thanks largely to boyds form. i dont know if they can win the gf as i believe the number 9 still lacks real options and attacking potency, however boyd will provide a real point of difference at full back.

i believe they will improve with boyd at fullback, there seems to be a lot of animosity towards him and more favoured towards barba being in the 1 jersey. Lets just stop for a second and take in to perspective that boyd is a winner, broncos mach 1, dragons premiership and the dominant qld team in which he has been an integral part of for years now. the knights project was off in 2014 however prior to that he was pretty bloody good.... remembering the knights in 2013 were 1 game short of the gf thanks largely to boyds form. i dont know if they can win the gf as i believe the number 9 still lacks real options and attacking potency, however boyd will provide a real point of difference at full back.

Good post and yes, because I agree with it ! I remember writing much the same thing although you left out he is a Dally M Fullback just like Barba :takdir:I like Barba and with luck he will stay and become a valuable asset. Boyd is versatile too so it gives WB options. WB is not so stupid as to only see Boyd in one position, he knows the guy and he knows Boyd will give his best for WB and the Broncos. I most certainly am looking forward to seeing a reinvigorated,motivated and committed Boyd .

Good post and yes, because I agree with it ! I remember writing much the same thing although you left out he is a Dally M Fullback just like Barba :takdir:I like Barba and with luck he will stay and become a valuable asset. Boyd is versatile too so it gives WB options. WB is not so stupid as to only see Boyd in one position, he knows the guy and he knows Boyd will give his best for WB and the Broncos. I most certainly am looking forward to seeing a reinvigorated,motivated and committed Boyd .
Barba took the Dally M, Dally M fullback, and Provan Summons medals, Boyd the Dally M fullback, there is a difference... :takdir:

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.