Barba vs Boyd

Boyd is also a Clive Churchill medal winner at fullback. Do you take the guy who's good enough to win you the GF or the guy who's good enough to get you there

personally i hate Boyd, he's in my top 5 worst Broncos ever from his early stint here. He was a lot like Maranta was in 2012. I do however think we're a better side with him here and that is what I care about. He brings speed and he adds that extra bit of polish to the sweeping play that all good sides have. Something the Broncs have lacked in years. Does it suck for others at the club, yep but that's life. Glad to see Hoggman gone too:)

Secondly all all this is mute until we see that Rnd 1 side named. For all we know Bennett has no plans to play Darius at fullback and he was trying to inspire the other potential fullbacks to step up.

Just quietly, I don't know how Boyd won the CC medal that year. His performance was fine, but it wasn't like he had this amazing game that demanded the CC medal - if anything Smith, Hornby & Nightingale played more integral roles.

There is every possibility I'm misremembering but it isn't like he stood out like the Burgess Brothers did in this year's GF.

Personally, I find arguing about awards to be a waste of time.

I thought we established a long time ago that the journos and Australian selectors have no idea but I guess we needed something to lean against.

Although I would have liked not to sign Boyd and instead let Barba have first crack at fullback, I guess we'll just have to accept it for what it is.

I honestly don't see Barba, a Dally M medal winning fullback lasting much longer at the club after being demoted to a bench role where he'll likely play short 20 minute spells, but I don't see many clubs chasing a "bench utility" This is a major fall from grace for a player who looked to have the world at his feet.

Good post but I think you're being a little unfair on Bennett. It's easy to disregard this season but Barba spent the vast majority of the year at fullback. I fully understand that injuries, confidence issues etc played a part so maybe I'm being unfair but if that's the case he should have been recuperating - Barba is a great player. As a fan, I wouldn't blame the club for playing the long game and looking after his welfare.

In his first interview as Broncos coach, Wayne Bennett desribed Barba's ankle injuries as 'horrific' I think the word was. Honestly, why was he playing at the start of this year? It's a bit beyond my comprehension. If you have a star recruit who is in your long term plans - why not make sure he is 100% and able to deliver?

Instead he was given a genuine chance at the back. I don't necessarily agree that a change of coach would have solved everything. Lockyer played well under all his coaches. So has Thurston. So has Inglis. They guys have had multiple coaches and still delivered. Barba has the potential to belong in that tier of player but he has not shown it yet.

The thing that worries me is that Barba has his own personal issues that need help from a figure like Wayne, but instead Bennett has pretty much disregarded him and instead given him a kick in the guts by signing Boyd. He has denied him a chance to return to his devastating best and this could seriously derail Barba's career. To be honest, I'd much rather he stayed at the Dogs. I would hate to see Barba lost to the NRL.

I think it's more of a case of Bennett chasing who he thinks will best suit the type of team he wants to build. Besides, what else could he do? Give Barba first crack and let him have umpteen chances to impress? Fullback is a crucial position and we need ours to fire regardless of who wears the jersey. Maybe a 20 minute stint from the bench is just what he needs to get back to his best.

The one thing I'll say about Bennett, is that he seems to be a little unfair to certain players. He will get rid of players he doesn't like, but bring those that he likes with him wherever he goes. I'd much rather he worked with the players he has at his disposal rather than potentially destroying their career.

Again, I think the players departing have to take a bit of ownership. Hoffman asked for a release a year ago and is now leaving to pursue his fullback dream. God luck to him, no hard feelings. Bennett has other ideas - that's footy. Who else? Kennedy? He's another one who had multiple chances to impress this year. People point to those opening minutes in Townsville as his fall from grace but the guy had 8 games to show his wares. Even after it was known that Griffin was leaving, Kennedy was back in first grade and could have lifted to make an impression on the incoming coach but again didn't offer much.

Bottom line for mine is this: If Hoffman was gunning it at fullback, we never sign Barba or Boyd. If Hannant and Kennedy were gunning it, they wouldn't be leaving.

Last edited:
The only way we don't sign Boyd is if we don't sign Bennett. How are people still not getting this? Bennett and Boyd are a package deal. You cant have one without the other. Its astounding that people still wont admit this lol.

The only way we don't sign Boyd is if we don't sign Bennett. How are people still not getting this? Bennett and Boyd are a package deal. You cant have one without the other. Its astounding that people still wont admit this lol.

I admit it, and what a great package deal!

Like making out with Megan Boone while getting under the jumper action with Katy Perry

At the end of 2012, looking forward, what are the odds you'd see Ben Barba:

(a) At the Broncos
(b) Second fiddle to Darius Boyd
(c) Languishing with the journey men in ISC

Great allegory for life and fleeting success in general.

I actually feel sorry for him. He probably regrets leaving the Dogs. He had everything going for him. Hodges tried so hard to get him to the Broncos and now he's pretty much the odd man out. If he never left the Bulldogs, I believe he would be lighting up the NRL once again in my opinion.

He won't stay at the Broncos, and he will sign a massive contract somewhere else.

It's funny seeing people act like his career is over because of his 2014 season, and that literally no teams even want him on chump change lol. This is the NRL, where rubbish players get $400k a year. Barba will get $700k+ a year when he leaves the Broncos, and will tear it up again once he is injury free and back to his ideal playing weight.

I'm pretty sure he would've been bad at the Bulldogs as well this year, it was his off-season ankle surgery and the extra few kilo's that he put on that made him useless this year, hopefully he gets both of those things sorted during the off-season and plays well for us / someone else, because I loved watching the guy play in his prime.

It's funny seeing people act like his career is over because of his 2014 season, and that literally no teams even want him on chump change lol. This is the NRL, where rubbish players get $400k a year. Barba will get $700k+ a year when he leaves the Broncos, and will tear it up again once he is injury free and back to his ideal playing weight.

this is why i think the rumours about barba being shopped around but no club wanting him are a load of media rubbish.

theres no way that no club would want him. there'd be heaps of coaches that would jump at the opportunity to trim him down, get a bit of confidence in him, and get him back to somewhere near 2012 type form.

I'm pretty sure he would've been bad at the Bulldogs as well this year, it was his off-season ankle surgery and the extra few kilo's that he put on that made him useless this year, hopefully he gets both of those things sorted during the off-season and plays well for us / someone else, because I loved watching the guy play in his prime.
it wasnt just the surgery - he injured his ankle again in the 9s a few weeks before the season started, and was clearly not right on it until almost 3/4 of the way through the season. he was hobbling at least once a game.

His ankle injury is chronic imo, it will never be "100%" again.

I think it's more of a case of Bennett chasing who he thinks will best suit the type of team he wants to build. Besides, what else could he do? Give Barba first crack and let him have umpteen chances to impress? Fullback is a crucial position and we need ours to fire regardless of who wears the jersey. Maybe a 20 minute stint from the bench is just what he needs to get back to his best.

Let's not make it out that Bennett didn't have options. We had already signed up Milford before WB confirmed he was coming. We don't have to play him at five-eight, Bennett made the choice to. He could have signed a half to partner Hunt, promoted Taylor or kept Barba or Hoffman at five eight.

Just kidding. The last two options are terrible. But the part about Milford playing fullback is genuine. No reason why he couldn't have been played there. Bennett chose to sign Boyd to play fullback, his hand wasn't forced.

Let's not make it out that Bennett didn't have options. We had already signed up Milford before WB confirmed he was coming. We don't have to play him at five-eight, Bennett made the choice to. He could have signed a half to partner Hunt, promoted Taylor or kept Barba or Hoffman at five eight.

Just kidding. The last two options are terrible. But the part about Milford playing fullback is genuine. No reason why he couldn't have been played there. Bennett chose to sign Boyd to play fullback, his hand wasn't forced.

Maybe Milford had a clue before us.
Not as many halves on the market as there were fullbacks. I am happy Milford is coming to play 5/8

Personally, I'd be happy to give Milford a crack at fullback. Our problems in the halves wouldn't be solved though and Milford is probably the best fit for that problem - which means he can't play two positions at the same time so I think Bennett's hand kinda was forced as I don't think Barba or Hoffman did enough to guarantee a shot at fullback.

I thought in the end Milford only signed because Lockyer convinced him and assured him of a 5/8 position and that he'll mentor him in the role.

I would buy into the whole 'Milford is only playing 6 to accommodate boyd' if it wasn't well publicised that he wants to play 6 for the Broncos before this and that locky would be there to help him is one of he things that clinched things for him

It seems the only people that want Milford to play fullback is some fans. Certainly not the Broncos or the guy himself

Last edited:
My recollection was that Milford had some reservations about moving to five eight but was guaranteed the mentorship of Lockyer. I don't ever recall him actually specifying a preference for what position he plays in with us, only that Griffin viewed him as a five eight. I could be wrong in that recollection though, I was simply happy to have Milford signed.

Regardless, I'm not saying Milford is playing 6 to accommodate Boyd, only that Bennet did have options. He could have played Milford at fullback. I don't think Anthony would have complained. He could also have tried to make Barba work out the way Des did.

Boyd is not here because we needed him. He's here simply because he's a favourite of WB and WB wanted him. He's a luxury, not a necessity, and one I'm still not sure we can afford. But let's not go clouding things here, we did not need Boyd. WB simply wanted him.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • porouian
  • Big Del
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.