Barba vs Boyd

I just watched the 2010 preliminary final between the Dragons and Tigers and I'm praying that Boyd can play like that at fullback next year. Strong running from the kick returns and in general play and came up with some very good options under pressure.

I just watched the 2010 preliminary final between the Dragons and Tigers and I'm praying that Boyd can play like that at fullback next year. Strong running from the kick returns and in general play and came up with some very good options under pressure.

I thought Boyd played well in what turned out to be Lockyer's last game.

Now go and watch pretty much any Raiders game from the last 18 months and tell me with a straight face you wouldn't prefer Milford running the ball back from fullback.

Last edited:
Now go and watch pretty muchany Raiders game from the last 18 months and tell me with a straight face you wouldn't prefer Milford running the ball back from fullback.

I would much prefer Milford to play at fullback other than Boyd but we all know that's not going to happen as Bennett will play Boyd at fullback regardless of how well he is playing.

Re: [RUMOUR] Ben Barba to Cronulla

Some people have a pretty short memory around here, Barba single handedly lost us like 3 games last year with his pure shitness, as much as I'd like to see him get back to his 2012 form, we don't have the luxury of waiting around for it to happen, if we want a premiership in the next 3 years (Whilst we have Bennett, Parker, Hodges, Thaiday still at the Broncos) we need players who are the least likely to just completely disappear from a game.

Even in 2013 at the Dogs, despite scoring a handful of tries, Barba had a lot of games where he just wasn't relevant at all and would score a gimme try in the 79th minute to pad his stats.

As several people in the media have said, there's a very high likelihood that Barba will never get even close to his 2012 form, that was a perfect concoction of speed, confidence and skill and the willingness of Hasler to run lots of plays and give him the freedom he needed to do what he did.

Bring on Boyd, he doesn't need 30 plays run for him to be a factor in a game.

Edit: Sorry Pete, was already typing this well before you posted.

It's not the release of Barba and the signing of Boyd, or even the comparison of their playing abilities.

It's the first sign of Bennett's say is Bronco Law and the fact that we've well and truly put all our eggs into this basket with Bennett's return.

We never needed another fullback (let alone one as vanilla as Boyd) and we've cut Hoffman and Barba because Bennett said so. That worries me greatly for the long term success of the club.

Bennett clearly has a conflict of interest when it comes to Boyd, and that seriously undermines his integrity.

Or it actually seriously undermines the chances of Kodi/Jayden Nikorima (or any other promising fullback) staying at the club, because Bennett doesn't run a meritocracy.

So you want decisions made by a committee. When a committee designs a horse you get a donkey.

So you want decisions made by a committee. When a committee designs a horse you get a donkey.

What happens when a dictatorial manager runs an organisation?

Very odd that that a coach would want to work with a player he rates and knows his structures etc.

Not at all odd.

What is odd is a coach who moves on so many players just to fit in a player who is less than world class.

And regardless of how well Boyd does or doesn't go Bennett doesn't live or die by it. He didn't at the Knights and having made so much effort to get him he, unlike Barba, won't be going anywhere soon, even if his first year ends up as bad as Barba's.

Most successful organisations are run with one person making the final decisions. They will consult and discuss but at the end of thwe day the decision rests with them. If it isn't run like that there is no accountability and nothing gets done... kinda like what has been happening for the last 5 or 6 years at the broncos

Depends on the manager. you'd need someone with a good track record and plenty of experience. Someone willing to make hard decisions that everyone wont be happy with. Oh wait!

Boyd's past 12 months have been shit and he's not performing and has been brought into the club.

He's had no better (and maybe worse) 2014 than:

-Barba
-Hoffman (with the added burden of being shuffled into a completely unfamiliar position)
-Hannant
-Kennedy

Ben Barba being pushed, and justified as a clean out and then replaced with Boyd, is rubbish.

Not at all odd.

What is odd is a coach who moves on so many players just to fit in a player who is less than world class.

And regardless of how well Boyd does or doesn't go Bennett doesn't live or die by it. He didn't at the Knights and having made so much effort to get him he, unlike Barba, won't be going anywhere soon, even if his first year ends up as bad as Barba's.

You don't know that though. Boyd has had one poor year and there were no options that were better to replace him with, so that has been taken and been extrapolated to get a result that says that Boyd could lose us every game at fullback and never be moved.

We aren't moving all these players on just for Boyd, seeing even with him we will still have at least 1 top 25 spot available we are obviously looking to sign someone else, hopefully a prop.

Also, when saying that they are moving all these players on, it's not like these players were playing fantastic or even providing value for money (or close to it TBH). So we have moved on the overpaid deadwood, I'm crying on the inside...

Boyd was just as poor though. On 2014 form he would also be deadwood.

And how can you say Sione Matautai wasn't a viable replacement for Boyd. Kid was good enough to be an international for Australia by now.

And how can you say Sione Matautai wasn't a viable replacement for Boyd. Kid was good enough to be an international for Australia by now.

Absolutely, and with the way Boyd played last year and the way Sione played when given his debut he definitely should have replaced boyd. There is just one problem with that and I can't think of what it is... hmm... sorry I'll think about it and get back to you

I think that example is a bit of an outlier. 7 games? the kid looks good but you'd expect the second coming of dally messenger to be selected after 7 games, not matautai. put that one down to sheens.

That's right, he wasn't eligible to earlier because he wasn't fucking 18

That's right, he wasn't eligible to earlier because he wasn't fucking 18

Do you honestly think that if Boyd didn't get the help he needed (which i respect BTW) that he would have been dropped or shifted to the wing for Sione (once he became eligible)

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • marw
  • Fozz
  • kiwibronco
  • HarryAllan7
  • davidp
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.