RUMOUR Bellamy - 10 Year Deal

Claiming our wooden spoon was a 'good' one is like one batsman telling another one my duck was better than your duck.
show me where i ever claimed our wooden spoon was a good one

first of all, that was my plan

second i completely disagree with you about us being a basket case ... it may be the media narrative (because they love the clicks that our failure brings), that many so called fans have adopted, for some reason

This is straight up delusional. The club IS a basket case.

We have an entire capital city to ourselves, we should have the first pick of the litter with every quality youngster coming out of the South East and still somehow manage to lose them all to other clubs, particularly Melbourne, we are already the richest club in the comp so who exactly are we playing catch up to there? We have corporations falling over themselves for sponsorship, and yet despite all of that, we can't recruit or build a functioning footy department to save our lives. Any self respecting club in our position should be absolutely disgusted with itself that we got anywhere near the wooden spoon.

Last edited:

second i completely disagree with you about us being a basket case ... it may be the media narrative (because they love the clicks that our failure brings), that many so called fans have adopted, for some reason

Foordy, I love you and love your faith in the club and willingness to stick by the board no matter what but there are several very clear reasons why people are saying our club is a basket case...and it IS a basket case. But in case you are just in a prolonged case of denial:

- Club removes coaching legend in the most culture destroying way possible
- Club gets in a new, albeit very promising, rookie coach which is an overall questionable coaching record without obviously doing due diligence or treating the recruitment process professionally
- Said coach gets a ridiculously high priced and long 'really strong' contract without any performance clauses
- Said coach tears down the very respectable culture of the club without having any runs on the board
- Club and coach gets majority of fans offside by this stage
- Club extends over the hill veterans with significant injury histories on big, long-term contracts
- Club loses best young forward to a ridiculous offer from rival club
- Club fails to lock up key youngsters before November 1 deadlines while extending underproducing 'stars' on big contracts
- Club gives out player options like Brandon Smith takes lollipops
- Star recruit can't get on the field due to no due diligence being paid before signing him
- Said recruit wants to go home every year / comes back to pre-season well overweight
- Million dollar player is constantly overweight and cannot play even well unless everything in the universe is aligned to shine light on him
- The side gets smashed 58-0 in the finals, accountability preached, yet not one coach or player is actually held accountable
- Players sort of get dropped only to be not dropped later
- Hopelessly underperforming players repeatedly state they are going well and cannot understand or accept criticism
- Behavioural issues left, right and centre
- No one on the board actually accepting accountability
- Weird comments from board members on issues they shouldn't comment on, no comments on issues they should comment on
- The media is leaked absolutely everything going on at the club
- Lockyer totally out of his depth as token club legend on the board
- Lockyer's re-growing hair
- The board stating there is no money in the salary cap, presumably due to mismanagement of said salary cap
- Club cannot attract needed talent
- Club lets go talented youngsters for nothing
- Club delays pulling the trigger on the coach and sets 2021 back as well
- Club medical team is run by Dr. Nick from the Simpsons, cannot even tell a compound fracture from a cut or see a broken bone in a forward with a knee injury that already makes him unfit to play OR realise that a player returning two weeks into a 4/5 week injury will make said injury worse
- Club roster is a shambles
- Club gets wooden spoon

Dude, read the room.

Last edited:
I have to ask @Sproj why on earth you would love a post claiming our club is a basket case ... if in fact it was a basket case, that would be a cause for tears ... not love

Foordy, I love you and love your faith in the club and willingness to stick by the board no matter what but there are several very clear reasons why people are saying our club is a basket case...and it IS a basket case. But in case you are just in a prolonged case of denial:

- Club gets in a new, albeit very promising, rookie coach which is an overall questionable coaching record without obviously doing due diligence or treating the recruitment process professionally
- Said coach gets a ridiculously high priced and long 'really strong' contract without any performance clauses
- Said coach tears down the very respectable culture of the club without having any runs on the board
- Club extends over the hill veterans with significant injury histories on big, long-term contracts
- Club fails to lock up key youngsters before November 1 deadlines while extending underproducing 'stars' on big contracts
- Star recruit can't get on the field due to no due diligence being paid before signing him
- Said recruit wants to go home every year / comes back to pre-season well overweight
- Million dollar player is constantly overweight and cannot play even well unless everything in the universe is aligned to shine light on him
- The side gets smashed 58-0 in the finals, accountability preached, yet not one coach or player is actually held accountable
- Hopelessly underperforming players repeatedly state they are going well and cannot understand or accept criticism
- Weird comments from board members on issues they shouldn't comment on, no comments on issues they should comment on
- The board stating there is no money in the salary cap, presumably due to mismanagement of said salary cap
- Club medical team is run by Dr. Nick from the Simpsons, cannot even tell a compound fracture from a cut or see a broken bone in a forward with a knee injury that already makes him unfit to play OR realise that a player returning two weeks into a 4/5 week injury will make said injury worse
- Club gets wooden spoon

Dude, read the room.
Well said👍 is that only volume 1 of 3

I have to ask @Sproj why on earth you would love a post claiming our club is a basket case ... if in fact it was a basket case, that would be a cause for tears ... not love
No, no. Please respond to the content of the post instead of this weird tangent.

I think there is light at the end of this tunnel. We will not be wooden spooners this year. That much I know.
There is simply too much talent there, and we now have a coach who knows how to get it to work. Tevita and milford will know their futures sooner than later, and Walters is leaving no stone unturned with either.
We have players capable of achieving success in every position. What we have lacked is direction and drive.
Cartwright was excellent in bringing that with his tenure at the gold coast, whilst Walters himself seems to work wonders with halves. I'm less knowledgeable about matterson's coaching credentials, though as a player he was thoroughly professional and earned every cap he got. Just hope he keeps the fingers he's got left. :)

I was under the impression like means to agree. I would be happy to change it to a sad face if you like?

Regardless, I have listed many reasons to support the club being a basket case and there are MANY more.

What reasons do you have to suggest the club isn't a basket case?

I was under the impression like means to agree. I would be happy to change it to a sad face if you like?

Regardless, I have listed many reasons to support the club being a basket case and there are MANY more.

What reasons do you have to suggest the club isn't a basket case?

getting the wooden spoon does not necessarily mean you're a basket case ... it's what you do to recover that determines your basket case status.

our biggest issue was the coach, his methods and his support staff. Our action to fix this was to bring back a club legend to restore the pride in our jersey, and bring our fractured club back together. a man that will inspire the team to play for him and each other (rather than themselves). the jury is still out on whether he is a man that can bring the title back to red hill, but he will have us moving in the right direction.

they are also hiring quality assistants to help support Kevvie

our second biggest issue, IMO, was our injury toll. our action to rectify this was to hire one of our best strength and conditioning coaches as a consultant to help select and mentor the team. Although the NRL can be partially blamed for the injury toll, as the new rules, were rushed in, to speed up the game, they were brought in mid season during a break (for COVID) where players weren't as active as usual (and didn't have a full pre-season to get their bodies used to the extra demand)

both of these are positive moves, and whether the have a press conference to announce mistakes, if they at least acknowledge them between themselves, they will head in the right direction to not making them again and moving forward, which is what separates the professional clubs from the basket cases.

p.s. i don't believe our roster is as bad as people are making out. yes, there are some area's that need to be improved, but IMO, if our roster didn't resemble a hospital ward for most of the season (especially with key players injured for large parts of the season), then we would have been fighting for a spot in the 8, rather than the wooden spoon

Last edited:

- Club gets wooden spoon

Dude, read the room.
I agree with all of it Sproj, although the bit about Lockies hair was a bit low mate

Active Now

• Allo
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.