RUMOUR Bellamy - 10 Year Deal

Not necessarily. He’s probably feeling pretty silly this week, finishing outside the 8 and watching the team he’s actually contracted to celebrate a premiership without him.

One more season of sharing the role with the best player to ever play the position, learning from the best coach, and setting yourself for a future at the best club isnt such a bad thing.

it would be very short sited to walk to a perennial mid table team and give all that up, just because you don’t want to share your lollies for one more season.
There's that but he'd also be costing himself a shit ton of money.

If he has a clause that allows him to get a release you'd imagine he would instantly pick up at least a $500k-600k contract, compared to the current $200k-300k contract he's on.

Also noting that his $200k-300k contract runs to the end of 2022, whereas a new contract would supersede that.

You might think well he's young he'll make it up, but he'll be 23 in Feb next year so if he stays with the storm he'll potentially be on that low contract until he's basically 25.

That's a pretty long delay on his peak earning capacity and also on his development... we're not talking about an 18yr who just burst onto the scene

getting the wooden spoon does not necessarily mean you're a basket case ... it's what you do to recover that determines your basket case status.

our biggest issue was the coach, his methods and his support staff. Our action to fix this was to bring back a club legend to restore the pride in our jersey, and bring our fractured club back together. a man that will inspire the team to play for him and each other (rather than themselves). the jury is still out on whether he is a man that can bring the title back to red hill, but he will have us moving in the right direction.

they are also hiring quality assistants to help support Kevvie

our second biggest issue, IMO, was our injury toll. our action to rectify this was to hire one of our best strength and conditioning coaches as a consultant to help select and mentor the team. Although the NRL can be partially blamed for the injury toll, as the new rules, were rushed in, to speed up the game, they were brought in mid season during a break (for COVID) where players weren't as active as usual (and didn't have a full pre-season to get their bodies used to the extra demand)

both of these are positive moves, and whether the have a press conference to announce mistakes, if they at least acknowledge them between themselves, they will head in the right direction to not making them again and moving forward, which is what separates the professional clubs from the basket cases.

p.s. i don't believe our roster is as bad as people are making out. yes, there are some area's that need to be improved, but IMO, if our roster didn't resemble a hospital ward for most of the season (especially with key players injured for large parts of the season), then we would have been fighting for a spot in the 8, rather than the wooden spoon

first of all, that was my plan

second i completely disagree with you about us being a basket case ... it may be the media narrative (because they love the clicks that our failure brings), that many so called fans have adopted, for some reason
You are right we are not a basket case. Given the current status I wish we were a basket case, I would pay for us to be a basket case.

The Bulldogs are a basket case and they have signed one of the best young halves in the competition and are making active moves towards other quality players. They also had a new coach in place long before us. I don't know what you could classify us as but a basket case would be a step in the right direction.

Because he demands perfection.

Again, because he loves to prove a point by destroying us at Suncorp year, after year, after year, after year...

Why would we want someone to instill a culture that doesn't accept coasting and failure.

Bellamy sucks! Bad coach! Riding on the coat tails of players he developed! na na na na na
Children don’t demand perfection. He’s an over the top dick head who embarrasses himself often. He’s even admitted it’s embarrassing himself.

Your last two sarcastic lines aren’t even in response to anything I’ve actually written.

Children don’t demand perfection. He’s an over the top dick head who embarrasses himself often. He’s even admitted it’s embarrassing himself.

Your last two sarcastic lines aren’t even in response to anything I’ve actually written.
3 Premierships since our last one, 2x runners up

Speaks for itself.

Last edited:
FMD, I can imagine some of you lot arguing over whether the band was playing Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony or Beethoven's 5th symphony as the Titanic sank.

Ultimately, isn't it (a) a matter of semantics whether we are, or are not a basket case; and (b) fundamentally a matter of perception tied into whether you are in a optimistic phase of the moon cycle or a doom and depression cycle.

The end result every club wants is Grand Final success, he has had plenty of that, he wears his heart on his sleeve and is volcanic in his reactions to things he sees as screw ups by his players on the field. The Storm definitely have a winning culture and the foundations of that culture is that Bellamy rarely if ever, buys big name players to obtain/maintain that success, he or his designate has a great eye for identifying latent talent from other clubs and moulding that talent into the best they can be and then have them serve a purpose for the club and ultimately the team.

He does not tolerate self entitled prima donnas, of which the Broncos currently have more then their fair share.

My take on Bellamy is that he is more respected by the players for his man management skills and making people take responsibility moe so then his coaching skills, his coaching did not transfer to success in the representative arena, Country Origins win 33%, State of Origin win 22% , 2 wins 7 losses no series wins. Bellamys skills are not successful in one off appointments in my opinion, his success is built on the culture he creates which basically is shit or get off the pot.

If he has a clause that allows him to get a release you'd imagine he would instantly pick up at least a $500k-600k contract, compared to the current $200k-300k contract he's on.

Also noting that his $200k-300k contract runs to the end of 2022, whereas a new contract would supersede that.

You might think well he's young he'll make it up, but he'll be 23 in Feb next year so if he stays with the storm he'll potentially be on that low contract until he's basically 25.

That's a pretty long delay on his peak earning capacity and also on his development... we're not talking about an 18yr who just burst onto the scene
Obviously if he was smart, he’d leverage that get out clause to renegotiate a substantial upgrade. Perhaps along the lines of extending it by 2 years and giving him a big chunk of Cam’s million dollars from 22 onward.

Storm should be able to fairly easily afford to upgrade his contract to 500k per year post Smith.

Last edited:
The end result every club wants is Grand Final success, he has had plenty of that, he wears his heart on his sleeve and is volcanic in his reactions to things he sees as screw ups by his players on the field. The Storm definitely have a winning culture and the foundations of that culture is that Bellamy rarely if ever, buys big name players to obtain/maintain that success, he or his designate has a great eye for identifying latent talent from other clubs and moulding that talent into the best they can be and then have them serve a purpose for the club and ultimately the team.

He does not tolerate self entitled prima donnas, of which the Broncos currently have more then their fair share.

My take on Bellamy is that he is more respected by the players for his man management skills and making people take responsibility moe so then his coaching skills, his coaching did not transfer to success in the representative arena, Country Origins win 33%, State of Origin win 22% , 2 wins 7 losses no series wins. Bellamys skills are not successful in one off appointments in my opinion, his success is built on the culture he creates which basically is shit or get off the pot.
Bugger, I hope HUGE doesn't pick me up on my spelling mistake in the last paragraph

Oh sorry just pointing out why we'd want Bellamy on board.

Just accept it, he's the greatest coach in the modern era. You'll be able to move on then and release all that anger.
Did I say otherwise?

Exactly this, he could easily land a contract for 700k, he's basically giving up around 800k, or let's say 440k after tax, or lets say a house in Brisbane... All good and well to do it for honour but his manger would be rightfully calling him an idiot.

I'd say Smith has probably told him he's retiring.

Last edited:
Exactly this, he could easily land a contract for 700k, he's basically giving up around 800k, or let's say 440k after tax, or lets say a house in Brisbane... All good and well to do it for honour but his manger would be rightfully calling him an idiot.

I'd say Smith has probably told him he's retiring.
Smith told them a while ago IMO that he is retiring, they just have not made it public.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Mustafur
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Fatboy
  • maddo
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.