RUMOUR Bellamy - 10 Year Deal

getting the wooden spoon does not necessarily mean you're a basket case ... it's what you do to recover that determines your basket case status.

our biggest issue was the coach, his methods and his support staff. Our action to fix this was to bring back a club legend to restore the pride in our jersey, and bring our fractured club back together. a man that will inspire the team to play for him and each other (rather than themselves). the jury is still out on whether he is a man that can bring the title back to red hill, but he will have us moving in the right direction.

they are also hiring quality assistants to help support Kevvie

our second biggest issue, IMO, was our injury toll. our action to rectify this was to hire one of our best strength and conditioning coaches as a consultant to help select and mentor the team. Although the NRL can be partially blamed for the injury toll, as the new rules, were rushed in, to speed up the game, they were brought in mid season during a break (for COVID) where players weren't as active as usual (and didn't have a full pre-season to get their bodies used to the extra demand)

both of these are positive moves, and whether the have a press conference to announce mistakes, if they at least acknowledge them between themselves, they will head in the right direction to not making them again and moving forward, which is what separates the professional clubs from the basket cases.

p.s. i don't believe our roster is as bad as people are making out. yes, there are some area's that need to be improved, but IMO, if our roster didn't resemble a hospital ward for most of the season (especially with key players injured for large parts of the season), then we would have been fighting for a spot in the 8, rather than the wooden spoon

Thanks for the points. Though given you’ve basically admitted that the coaching staff got it wrong, the players were well under-performing and the medical staff are abjectly incompetent, this would also imply the guys making the decisions to appoint all of these people have also stuffed up majorly right?

Ergo, the board, coaches, players and medical staff, as well as jersey designers, have all lost the plot. Not to mention the incoming coach seems to be hamstrung by bad and long contracts, if all of these areas are broken, doesn’t that imply the club is a basket case?

first of all, that was my plan

second i completely disagree with you about us being a basket case ... it may be the media narrative (because they love the clicks that our failure brings), that many so called fans have adopted, for some reason
We just completed one of the most diabolical seasons in modern Rugby League history. The clubs who had comparatively bad seasons were complete and utter basket cases in millions of dollars of debt and with some of the worst playing rosters we've ever seen, yet the Broncos somehow went close to matching these performances despite having a previously very highly rated roster that was backed by the kind of resources and facilities that our competitors could only dream about.

I'm sorry, but if that isn't just about the textbook definition of a basket case club then you're frankly detached from reality.

Last edited:
Whilst I’m not calling it a basket case, I can categorically agree the season was diabolical.

So... any indication where the Sunny coast storm dominoes are likely to fall?

I'm guessing they keep everyone they want to keep and our klueless board are left organizing pointless consulting enquiries to shift the blame. Would be good if the consultant can locate a backbone somewhere.

I'm guessing they keep everyone they want to keep and our klueless board are left organizing pointless consulting enquiries to shift the blame. Would be good if the consultant can locate a backbone somewhere.
Grant has said he’s playing for Storm next year no matter what, the cheese said he wants Cam to stay on even if it isn’t great for his own career, Cam no comment.

To me it sounds very likely that Smith retires and the other 2 remain, or smith plays on and all 3 stay.

Well mate, they won't find that backbone in our spine

Grant has said he’s playing for Storm next year no matter what, the cheese said he wants Cam to stay on even if it isn’t great for his own career, Cam no comment.

To me it sounds very likely that Smith retires and the other 2 remain, or smith plays on and all 3 stay.
If Smith plays on I can see Brandon staying but I do think it's hugely unlikely that Grant wouldn't look to take at least another loan deal for 2021 again.

If Smith plays on I can see Brandon staying but I do think it's hugely unlikely that Grant wouldn't look to take at least another loan deal for 2021 again.
Possibly, or Bellamy/Smith have given him a good sales pitch about how their roles will work next year.

Possibly, or Bellamy/Smith have given him a good sales pitch about how their roles will work next year.
It'd have to be one hell of a pitch because honestly if he isn't the starting Dummy Half at SOME club next year he's honestly wasting valuable time in his own development at this point.

It'd have to be one hell of a pitch because honestly if he isn't the starting Dummy Half at SOME club next year he's honestly wasting valuable time in his own development at this point.
Not necessarily. He’s probably feeling pretty silly this week, finishing outside the 8 and watching the team he’s actually contracted to celebrate a premiership without him.

One more season of sharing the role with the best player to ever play the position, learning from the best coach, and setting yourself for a future at the best club isnt such a bad thing.

it would be very short sited to walk to a perennial mid table team and give all that up, just because you don’t want to share your lollies for one more season.

So if I've read this thread right - and, please, do correct me if I've gotten any of this wrong - Bellamy will come to us on a ten year deal if Wayne Bennett beats Anthony Seibold in a to-the-death cage match at an upcoming Trump rally.

The only thing I can't figure is how Darius Boyd works into all of this, but I figure he's gotta be in the mix somewhere...
He is the ring girl.

Bellamy is a petulant child. The way he acts in the box is embarrassing.
Because he demands perfection.

He’s fucked the Broncos over in every single way possible and people dislike him for many reasons.
Again, because he loves to prove a point by destroying us at Suncorp year, after year, after year, after year...

If he came to the Broncos I still wouldn’t like him, but I’d accept that he was here because I very rarely like everyone at the club anyway.
Why would we want someone to instill a culture that doesn't accept coasting and failure.

Bellamy sucks! Bad coach! Riding on the coat tails of players he developed! na na na na na

Not necessarily. He’s probably feeling pretty silly this week, finishing outside the 8 and watching the team he’s actually contracted to celebrate a premiership without him.

One more season of sharing the role with the best player to ever play the position, learning from the best coach, and setting yourself for a future at the best club isnt such a bad thing.

it would be very short sited to walk to a perennial mid table team and give all that up, just because you don’t want to share your lollies for one more season.
Shed , based on how the Storm appear to be always focused on their future direction, what do you reckon the deals already been done for Cameron Smith to take on the assistant coach role next year, replacing Jason Ryles who is off to rugby union in England, and then take over from Bellamy in 2022, this solves their problem with Grant and B Smith to some extent, and allows Bellamy to be Coaching Director based in Queensland if he wants. B Smith would comfortably handle a forward role other than dummy half, and hearing him talk, he doesn't appear to take himself to seriously and would probably accept the situation just to remain with the Storm.

Active Now

• marw
  • Broncorob
  • kiwibronco
  • Fatboy
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.