Ben Hunt - Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter MaroubraBroncos
  • Start date
You're wrong.

Hunt's managment don't want to sign- his price is going up all the time. Broncos have started with McGuire.

We can only go on what we are told. There has been quotes from his management that they want to talk extension and get it done but the broncos won't enter talks... how can we know any different?

Am I wrong or can teams not even offer Hunt anything until November 1?

Am I wrong or can teams not even offer Hunt anything until November 1?

They can offer whatever, and he can sign but he can still backflip up until RD13 next year. It would be stupid for any club to sign him this far out.

They can offer whatever, and he can sign but he can still backflip up until RD13 next year. It would be stupid for any club to sign him this far out.

Every article I see says clubs can't formally table an offer until November 1

Wouldn't it be funny if Hunt signs with the Raiders and then back flips on them to stay with us.

I'm sure [MENTION=2221]Porthoz[/MENTION] has mentioned it 100 times, but AFAIK, the NRL abolished the Nov 1 rule because it was impossible to police and instead introduced the RD13 backflip rule.

What do the Sharks do for halves next year? They should chase DCE and we keep Hunt.

Cue the new BHQ "the sky is falling" attitude.

Especially since the Sharks are desperate for a half immediately and we have one off contract in 18 months time.

Last edited:
I'm sure @Porthoz has mentioned it 100 times, but AFAIK, the NRL abolished the Nov 1 rule because it was impossible to police and instead introduced the RD13 backflip rule.
It's really incredible, isn't it? This November 1 anti tampering rule was abolished in 2010!

Just goes to show how competent the sports media in this country is, which really is no surprise when you think that Slothfield is editor of one of the biggest publications...

Extract from the NRL article that can be found HERE:

Anti-Tampering Guidelines
The current ‘anti-tampering’ guidelines state that the NRL will not register a player’s contract with a new club until after Round Thirteen in the final year of that player’s existing contract with his current club. The only exception to this is where the existing club agrees that the new contract should be registered

There is no rule to prevent clubs talking to players at any time. There is an acceptance that nobody likes to see players negotiating with a new team but there is also the reality that players in the game do change clubs and that those discussions can take place over an extended period.

Rather than introduce ‘discussion deadlines’ that have in the past been shown to be ineffective, the NRL reserves the right not to register the contract and that ensures that the player’s existing club has a fair chance of retaining its player if it wants to.

We can only go on what we are told. There has been quotes from his management that they want to talk extension and get it done but the broncos won't enter talks... how can we know any different?

They started with McGuire and are absolutely incapable of dealing with two contracts at once....? I call BS. The Broncos will most certainly be in discussion with his management. And if that means focussing on footy instead of contracts, then so be it.

Excuse me Steve Noyce but we have an exceptional 5/8 we can offer you. We will be devastated to lose him but we need a strong competition and you need a 5/8:ciao:

We also don't want to lose him so give a 100k compensation and we're all sweet.

If we are well under the cap this year we should give Hunt a massive upgrade and then a reasonable price for the next few years. Other clubs can't give him any money until 2016, so we can give him a significant pay rise for this year and next and then have him on 400 or so for the two years after that. Don't let the cap space go unused.

I really like Hunt except for his kicking game. His worth will be shown during the business end of the season

If we are well under the cap this year we should give Hunt a massive upgrade and then a reasonable price for the next few years. Other clubs can't give him any money until 2016, so we can give him a significant pay rise for this year and next and then have him on 400 or so for the two years after that. Don't let the cap space go unused.

We did it with Parker. It's a great position to be in.

Just watched a beautiful combination between Marshall and Dugan. That's what we need with Hunt and Hodges. Something worked out and practised and used regularly, and the same with Gillett

Active Now

• Santa
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.