Ben Hunt - Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter MaroubraBroncos
  • Start date
Talking about the Sharks win over us on MMM and Sterlo mentions that was the 4th game this year we have lost in the last 10 mins of the match.

We really need one of our halves controlling that sort of shit. If you were to ask who's responsible for driving the side home when in front, it would invariably come down to one of your halves. Alfie and Lockyer were experts at it.

I hope it becomes part of Hunts game too as he matures into the NRL.

Talking about the Sharks win over us on MMM and Sterlo mentions that was the 4th game this year we have lost in the last 10 mins of the match.

We really need one of our halves controlling that sort of shit. If you were to ask who's responsible for driving the side home when in front, it would invariably come down to one of your halves. Alfie and Lockyer were experts at it.

I hope it becomes part of Hunts game too as he matures into the NRL.

Tallis said the same thing.

To be fair I'm not sure how he is meant to close the game out when we can't get possession because everyone has minichello hands, then when we finally do hunt puts Hoffman into the clear only for him to throw it away... Literally

Fair dinkum when is Teflon Hoffman ever going to have to take responsibility

Well.....you can't expect Hoffman to close a game out.

FFS....you can't even expect Hoffman to throw a decent pass.

No, the responsibility is on Ben Hunt. He's the go to guy.....

Well.....you can't expect Hoffman to close a game out.

FFS....you can't even expect Hoffman to throw a decent pass.

No, the responsibility is on Ben Hunt. He's the go to guy.....

Not what I was saying at all.

I bought up Hoffman because it was been hunt that chip, chased and regathered to put Hoffman into space with a 2 man over lap, only for him to completely **** it up.

The halfback can't close out a game when we don't have the ball because either our wingers are dropping it or we are being run through the middle because our forwards are rooted due to our fuckhead coach leaving Jarrod '7 minutes' Wallace sitting on the bench.

The one chance he gets to close the game out, Hoffman derps it up.

Closing out games is something hunt has to learn, and it is something that has cost us previously this year. However, IMHO that wasn't this game as he never had the opportunity

Short drop out, chip and regather, both plays from Hunt in an attempt to finish the sharks game. He tried and his part worked, others just couldn't do their part.

Closing out games is something hunt has to learn, and it is something that has cost us previously this year. However, IMHO that wasn't this game as he never had the opportunity

.....that's all I was really saying. Wasn't necessarily aiming in on the Sharks game.

I'm a big fan of Hunt, and I can see what people are saying in the last few posts. However, there was a moment late in the game & Hunt kicked for touch and he only got it out on the 35/30m line and meant that Sharks could get the ball in attacking position on last play. I think Sharks scored final try next set.

His kicking is a very real weak point in his game.

I wouldn't say it is a weak point, just inconsistent. He did put one kick in late in the game that lead to a repeat set (from 40 out) and he did have some other very good kicks. I guess when your taking almost 100% of kicks in a game the law of averages says your going to have some bad ones especially if the defence is always targeting you.

Short drop out, chip and regather, both plays from Hunt in an attempt to finish the sharks game. He tried and his part worked, others just couldn't do their part.
That's not closing a game out, that's high risk (albeit quality execution) footy in desperation, because the game hadn't been closed out.

What I think Beads means, is that we need a playmaker with a cool head, capable of setting the pace of the game, take the sting out of the opposition by turning them around, while giving your team a chance to breathe. Hunt can't because he probably doesn't have the kicking game necessary and is not quite there in directing his team around. Macca would've helped a lot against the Sharks in that aspect!

Macca kicking from Dummy half helps the team immensely because it puts doubt into who will be taking the kick as well as pretty much everyone being on side as soon as it is kicked.
Imagine if Brisbane had 3 regular kicking options(you know by having a 5/8th) and the opposition will have to spread out who they are targeting.

At this stage I wouldn't care if they gave the ball to Reed to kick more often. Hell why not give Josh McGuire or Ben Hannant or anyone! Just some kicks from other players just to put some form of doubt as to where the ball is headed on the 5th each set.

That's not closing a game out, that's high risk (albeit quality execution) footy in desperation, because the game hadn't been closed out.

What I think Beads means, is that we need a playmaker with a cool head, capable of setting the pace of the game, take the sting out of the opposition by turning them around, while giving your team a chance to breathe. Hunt can't because he probably doesn't have the kicking game necessary and is not quite there in directing his team around. Macca would've helped a lot against the Sharks in that aspect!
Exactly. If we had a Lockyer at 6 this year, we'd be MUCH higher up the ladder.

I wouldn't say it is a weak point, just inconsistent. He did put one kick in late in the game that lead to a repeat set (from 40 out) and he did have some other very good kicks. I guess when your taking almost 100% of kicks in a game the law of averages says your going to have some bad ones especially if the defence is always targeting you.

Agreed and the reality is he can only do so much and against the Sharks I really don't think you could ask much more of what he did that night to try to win it for us even in the dying minutes. Even more so when you take Macca away who can take pressure off him in this regard, it's not like Hoffman's kicking game is anything to write home about and what about Barba? No doubt Hunt's general kicking game needs improving and I think it can with the proper coaching but again this just brings us back to the continued insistence of playing Hoffman at 5/8th, but hey, better to just play it safe then look at other possibilities even at the cost of holding back the potential of the side.

I'd really love to sign Johns as Hunt's coach. He'd get his kicking game right for sure. Knew all the attacking kicks and knew the smart kicks too. I'm sure Hunt would be happy too, he claims he's based his game on Johns'.

Exactly ......someone controlling the game. That's what you want from your half. Again, not specifically talking about the Sharks game or even just the tight losses, but there are certain periods of every game where we look rudderless. It's all about field position. Hunt probably is still guilty of using his skills as an individual rather than as the team play maker to get the team where they need to be on the field. His poor long kicking game is certainly not helping.

He's learning and the great thing is he's improving. He will get better when he has a bit more talent around him to ease some of the pressure and to give him a few more options.

Desperately needs to work on his long kicking game in the off season.

I'd really love to sign Johns as Hunt's coach. He'd get his kicking game right for sure. Knew all the attacking kicks and knew the smart kicks too. I'm sure Hunt would be happy too, he claims he's based his game on Johns'.

As much as I despise the bloke I could see Hunt gaining benefit from this, I did notice Johns commenting a lot about Hunt's kicking during the Sharks game and where he was going wrong, could do the same with Lockyer though too though he would have to want to do so.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manifesto
  • Culhwch
  • Jazza
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.