Ben Hunt - Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter MaroubraBroncos
  • Start date
One thing that pisses me off is McCullough catches the defense offside at least twice a game and nothing comes from it. Whereas Farah, Ennis and Smith catch someone onside and the ref couldn't blow a penalty any faster.

They throw their hands up higher.

I think you are significantly discounting Smiths influence in attack.
In my mind it is an aspect of his game that is as equally important as his defence.

Jake Friend and Mick Ennis are in the same department IMO and Damian Cook is probably more attack orientated if anything,

All that aside, I think Macca's attack isn't too far off in terms of when he has a dart or chimes in to the attacking line.
If he could develop his short kicking game, particularly his last tackle options close to the line (similar to Smith and Friend) it would really be beneficial.

But regardless, I am more than happy with Macca being our long term hooker as opposed to a bloke like Granville who still needs to do what he's done this year over a longer period of time before I am completely convinced.
Granville is a defensive liability, proved it again under fatigue on the weekend

BEN Hunt’s Broncos mentor Kevin Walters vowed to help the shattered halfback overcome the psychological scars of the worst night of his NRL career.

Walters’ show of support came as Hunt’s nemesis, Cowboys champion Johnathan Thurston, backed the Broncos halfback to fight back from his grand-final nightmare.

Hunt was the heartbreak story of Brisbane’s 17-16 loss to the Cowboys, producing two costly plays in three minutes as his magnificent season sensationally unravelled.

The Broncos No.7 was penalised for spear-tackling Kane Linnett, just moments before Michael Morgan set up Kyle Feldt’s match-levelling try on full-time.

To compound his horror display, Hunt then grassed the extra-time kick-off that enabled Thurston to drive home the premiership-winning field goal.

The series of clangers left Hunt fighting back tears, but Walters, who has worked closely with the 25-year-old this season, pledged to help his protege pick up the pieces.

“This won’t break him,” said Walters, the former Broncos skipper who is now the club’s assistant coach.

“Ben will be fine, I can tell you now. I know Ben’s personality and we wouldn’t have been in a grand final if it wasn’t for his outstanding work this year.

“Psychologically, he will handle this. He is a good bloke, a tough character and all of us, including myself, will make sure he gets back in the saddle next year and is up for another journey where we can hopefully go one step better.

“I’m proud of Ben and all the guys — he’ll bounce back from this.”

Hunt showed moments of promise in the decider, creating two line-break assists and making a second-half line break.

But amid Thurston’s heroics and the Cowboys’ euphoria, Hunt was left to digest his four handling errors, three missed tackles and the two penalties he conceded.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett was the first to console Hunt and he even received a sympathy vote from the man who rubbed salt into deep wounds.

“I told him (Hunt) to hold his head up high,” Thurston said.

“He’s had an outstanding couple of years. He will be a great player for years to come, he spent a week with us in Queensland camp and I know what he’s made of.

“He will come back better. I just hope he doesn’t feel the weight on his shoulders.”

Broncos winger Jordan Kahu believes Hunt’s grand final to forget will only amplify the playmaker’s desire to clinch a maiden premiership ring next season.

“Ben and ‘Milf’ (five-eighth Anthony Milford) have carried us to the finals,” he said.

“Without those two guys in our team we wouldn’t be in the grand final so we can thank them for what they have done.

“Ben didn’t lose the game for us. We can’t put it on Ben’s back, he’s had a massive year and he will get better next year.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-final-nightmare/story-e6frf3pc-1227557989626

For all those keyboard warriors bagging him

12112319_1237886962903762_2267189468970219237_n.jpg

For all those keyboard warriors bagging him

12112319_1237886962903762_2267189468970219237_n.jpg

Yeah, I've seen heaps of dickheads posting that on FB.

I'll never wear a jersey to represent my club, but I will sure as hell sink the boot into them, if it's deserved.

That's a bit stupid anyway... will only call for pictures of Thurston wearing the Aus jersey, etc.

It's a bit like the Rick Stone / Wayne Bennett thing early in the season by the Knights fans.

Hunt just has to take it on the chin, and use it as an incentive to become even better!

Hunt made a few mistakes, he does it at any other time in the game and people forget about it, I have no issue with him at all. One of the best halves in the league and he plays for us. Go Benny.

That's a bit stupid anyway... will only call for pictures of Thurston wearing the Aus jersey, etc.

It's a bit like the Rick Stone / Wayne Bennett thing early in the season by the Knights fans.

Hunt just has to take it on the chin, and use it as an incentive to become even better!

Which is exactly what I expect him to do. I was surprised that some people were thinking that he would not come back from this, I think they are seriously underestimating this kid's resilience and intestinal fortitude. I expect that this experience is just going to light a fire under him and indeed the whole team to be so much better next year. I am expecting a very hungry football team next year.

In any event, any loss or win in a team game is a team loss or win. There were any number of other significant moment that could be pointed to that had an effect on the result. The reality is we probably over-achieved to get there this year and we all but won it even so. The team and the coaching staff did us all proud and the restoration of the club is well and truly on track. We can't win every grand final we were going to lose one eventually.

They now know how good they are and can be, and if anything our significant rivals are going to be somewhat weaker next year. I am looking forward to the next season with much anticipation. I was kicking cans yesterday as well, and then we received some news that emphasized how insignificant this all really is. They get a do over next year which we all get to share in.

And welcome back Beads, it is good to see you posting again.

I can't see a place for DCE in rep teams of the future. Not with Hunt and Milf and their club combo (which fucking sucks for us in future, but we'll cross that one when we get to it). I know Big Mal loves him but **** me dead, he's been a liability in every rep game he's played. Hunt shits all over him. The best part is that Manly let the better one of their halves (Foran) go :laugh: I just think DCE is another Kimmorley or Pearce - great in clubland, but can't step up.

But this is about Hunt. He will come back and he will be better than ever. This will drive him to be a better player than even he thought possible. This is the guy that played off the bench for 3 goddamn years. Behind Wallace. Behind Prince. Behind fucking Norman for god's sake. This will MAKE him as a player, mark my words. And he has Alfie and Kevvie to learn from.

I was actually saying on Sunday that a grand final win would surely put Hunt ahead of DCE for rep selection next year if either Thurston or Cronk get injured..

But, now I'm not so sure. He did fail to close out the game.

They say laughter is the best medicine – and Ben Hunt was lining up for a prescription pad full after his epic grand final fail.

Ben Ikin has revealed Brisbane legends and coaching staff members Kevin Walters and Allan Langer did their best to lighten Hunt's mood by good naturedly paying out on him on the way home from Sydney.

"I caught the charter flight back from Sydney to Brisbane with all the Broncos players and coaching staff," Ikin told Melbourne radio this week.

"Every five seconds Alfie Langer and Kevvie Walters shouted across the plane 'it'll be right, Benny Hunt will catch it'."

Hunt took the cruel but funny taunts in good humour.

League | The Final Rev-Up: Ben hunted | SPORTAL

I was actually saying on Sunday that a grand final win would surely put Hunt ahead of DCE for rep selection next year if either Thurston or Cronk get injured..

But, now I'm not so sure. He did fail to close out the game.

So did Thurston.

Fucking love Hunt. Been my fave player since he owned Newcastle back in late 2013.

Im not bitter at all about the errors and hasn't changed my opinion on him at all. Any doubters can remember 2 weeks ago we saw him set up one of the best tries we've seen with that inside pass to Milf.

He's a mastermind. But I love that he's human as well, and truly think this loss will humble him and retain his strong motivation to lead the club to success.

Many ppl talk about the last 5 mins of the game assuming it was 'won' until then and if only Hunt didn't blow it blah blah. Game was NEVER won by us IMO.

We made plenty of errors in the first; What about Thaidays poor misread on Tamous try? Or the crucial penalty by Wallace or some of Hodge's go no where dumy half runs?

Like others have said. We lost it as a team and I am sure Hunt realises this, and has no 'psychological scars' whatever that crap is!

Love you BH hope to see you rape in the green and gold.

So did Thurston.

Yep, exactly. This has been bugging me to be honest. Thurston blew it as much if not more than Hunt but was saved by that last play from Morgan and is missing tackles

That was taken the night of the GF according to FB. If I'd just lost that Grand Final, I'd probably want to write myself off too.

Hopefully he tells the lad who recorded it to **** off.

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Manofoneway
  • Financeguy
  • Old Mate
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • winslow_wong
  • Volvo Driver
  • Maddy
  • Foordy
  • john1420
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • thenry
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • levikaden
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.