Ben Hunt vs Ash Taylor

Boyd will never be moved out of FB, especially with WB as coach, and for good reason. Refer to Milf's efforts earlier this year and his performance in the GF; he's showing far too much promise at his age to just chuck him back as a band aid solution.

EDIT: What I would like to see is Boyd switching with Milf for set plays in attack, that would give us another dimension in attack.

Last edited:
Why would you move our BEST player from his BEST position? It doesn't make sense.

Just get rid of Hunt, get Taylor back, you calm down with your silly ideas, and everyone is happy. Hell, Kahu can keep his spot as a sweetner for you to drop this silly idea.

Why get rid of Hunt for a player who is only better in one area of his game than Hunt.

Damn BHQ is a fickle lot ... last year everyone was agreeing with Bennetts decision to allow Taylor to leave as he "would never be able to displace Hunt or Milford"

Now everyone wants to shaft Hunt for Taylor after a few good performances against the competitions lessor teams

While I agree that Taylor will eventually pass Hunt and become QLDs premier half back, that time is not now.

While on the subject if Hunt, I still can't figure out why Milford is immune from anywhere near the same level of wrath that Hunt is facing, especially given that Milfords form has been as bad as, if not worse than Hunts.

I believe that Hunt is a victim of Hook ... keeps him on the bench for years as a bench hooker, but now the guy is happy to give young guys (like Cleary) a shot.

Hunt may be a 26 year old half back with 150+ games under his belt ... but experience wise as a half he is closer to Milfords level of experience, since for 70% of his games he has come off the bench filling in at hooker.

can anyone seriously tell me that playing 20mins a game as bench hooker is good enough to prepare someone to be a teams lead playmaker.

can anyone seriously tell me that playing 20mins a game as bench hooker is good enough to prepare someone to be a teams lead playmaker.

it's good enough to learn how to kick.

it's good enough to learn how to kick.

When you have the GOAT Darren 'The Football God' Lockyer in your side, you don't learn how to kick because you're not doing the kicking.

That was a coaching issue, not a Ben Hunt issue.

Ben Hunt's job was to come on and pass the ball to the halves. He was on there to give Macca a rest, that's it.

When you have the GOAT Darren 'The Football God' Lockyer in your side, you don't learn how to kick because you're not doing the kicking.

That was a coaching issue, not a Ben Hunt issue.

What? No.

if you play in a crucial position on the field, you work on aspects that are likely to be invoked on the field. Kicking is a HUGE aspect of being a half.

If Hunt decided he didn't need to improve his kicking because a) someone else was always kicking b) he thought it was good enough (str8 up wrong), that's entirely a players decision, not a coaching one. A coach is not going to say, hey Ben don't worry about practising a core aspect of being a half because someone else will do it for you, so just chill and pass the ball ok?

Not to mention Hunt played bench hooker after Locky had retired. Was his excuse then because Wallace and Norman always did the kicking? please.

Last edited:
It's not a hookers job to do the kicking, it's the halves job and Hunt wasn't a half, he was a hooker who's job was to just get the ball to the halves and give Macca a rest.

Hookers under Griffin didn't do the kicking, the halves were in charge of that so yeah it was very much a coaching issue.

Wallace and Norman were both better kickers and they were the halves, they were in charge of the kicking.

It's a little difficult to develop the skills you need to be a half when you're playing as a bench hooker and not given the freedom you need to develop from the coach.

Last edited:
I see, so despite being a half and knowing he was going to get a shot at some stage at halfback, either here or elsewhere, even at a lower level, he decided it wasn't of any benefit to learn to kick properly/consistently?

lol **** me, griffin gets a lot of deserved hate, but to blame him because hunt hasnt developed a kicking game is an outrageously poor argument.

Last edited:
Peeps...
Please tell me I'm wrong...
Hunt is a 6, not a 7. He has a fantastic ability to play whats in front of him. Give Hunt the ball & tell him to run!!! Do that & he's one of the top 3-4 number sixes in the comp.
Ask him to kick, read, control or manipulate a game however,,,, & he "consistently" goes to shit! ""Consistently""
I LOVE BEN HUNT!!
He is a wonderful footballer.
&.....
He is NOT a 7!!!!

Broncos "NEED" a 7.

IMO Ash Taylor is the 7 of the future for QLD & Australia.

Nuff said????

Ben Hunt has a huge future in a club that needs a "match winning" No 6.
I wish you every success Ben.
Simple fact is though..... We have the Jet, Boyd, Oates & not to mention MILF!!!!!

Ben out, Taylor (Foran?) in...
Pleeeease!!?!!!!
Who can argue with that logic?

I see, so despite being a half and knowing he was going to get a shot at some stage at halfback, either here or elsewhere, even at a lower level, he decided it wasn't of any benefit to learn to kick properly/consistently?

lol **** me, griffin gets a lot of deserved hate, but to blame him because hunt hasnt developed a kicking game is an outrageously poor argument.

There is a difference between learning how to kick and actually refining that art in the NRL.

Hunt knows how to kick.

Hunt can kick

Hunt struggles with choosing the right kick at the right time, something that playing hooker for 20 minutes a game would not have helped with.

I am passed getting into arguments, sorry discussions about this anymore because it is quite clear that people will not change their own minds (although a quite happy to admonish you for not changing your own).

Here is some reality for some of you though. Hunt has proven to be a quality half, he has proven this over a period of time. He is in a slump by his own standards at the moment, yet he is still not in the worst form of our current halves.

Taylor has a big future in front of him I am sure, currently he is not better than Hunt. People might have a bit of trouble coming around to the idea of ditch Hunt, get Taylor right now due to the fact that most of the arguments rely on Taylor being the next 7 for QLD. That is possible but currently it is being pushed out like undeniable fact. Literally anything could happen, it is his first year of the NRL.

It's nonsense.

After wasting away on the bench for so long, who would have blamed him if he had lost hope of a shot, but didn't want to leave the Broncos.

Being a bench hooker helps develop your running game, your passing game and your defence. Not your kicking game. Hell even our starting hooker barely kicked.

Besides, Ben Hunt does have a kicking game. What he lacks is game awareness and knowing when to deploy which kick. Which is certainly not developed playing bench hooker for 20 mins a game

Re: Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2016

Ben Hunt's drop of the kick off is not the sole reason we lost the GF.

His knock on cost us our last hail mary play at winning the game. But mentally it was lost when Cowboys scored and we failed to "defend them out of the game" from the 65th minute, which was our game plan (coach).

Hunt has never matured as a player beyond a 18 year old running game half. He has no idea how to manage a game.

Taylor is Hunt 3 years ago.

Taylor also can't manage a game or prove he can close out a grand final.

Better the devil you know.

Peeps...
Please tell me I'm wrong...
Hunt is a 6, not a 7. He has a fantastic ability to play whats in front of him. Give Hunt the ball & tell him to run!!! Do that & he's one of the top 3-4 number sixes in the comp.
Ask him to kick, read, control or manipulate a game however,,,, & he "consistently" goes to shit! ""Consistently""
I LOVE BEN HUNT!!
He is a wonderful footballer.
&.....
He is NOT a 7!!!!

Broncos "NEED" a 7.

Nuff said????

Ben Hunt has a huge future in a club that needs a "match winning" No 6.
I wish you every success Ben.
Simple fact is though..... We have the Jet, Boyd, Oates & not to mention MILF!!!!!

Ben out, Taylor (Foran?) in...
Pleeeease!!?!!!!
Who can argue with that logic?

For QLD yes I would be very surprised if he isn't. For Australia? Nathan Cleary has had a far better rookie season than Taylor is and is a lot better than Taylor is.

Why get rid of Hunt for a player who is only better in one area of his game than Hunt.

Damn BHQ is a fickle lot ... last year everyone was agreeing with Bennetts decision to allow Taylor to leave as he "would never be able to displace Hunt or Milford"

Now everyone wants to shaft Hunt for Taylor after a few good performances against the competitions lessor teams

While I agree that Taylor will eventually pass Hunt and become QLDs premier half back, that time is not now.

While on the subject if Hunt, I still can't figure out why Milford is immune from anywhere near the same level of wrath that Hunt is facing, especially given that Milfords form has been as bad as, if not worse than Hunts.

I believe that Hunt is a victim of Hook ... keeps him on the bench for years as a bench hooker, but now the guy is happy to give young guys (like Cleary) a shot.

Hunt may be a 26 year old half back with 150+ games under his belt ... but experience wise as a half he is closer to Milfords level of experience, since for 70% of his games he has come off the bench filling in at hooker.

It's not good enough, you're correct. You know what? How he was coached in the past isn't my problem. I don't give a ****. It's not an excuse, it's something that has ruined his career. Like I said, not my problem why he sucks at being halfback, my problem is that he does suck.

You're right. We did agree. But then Hunt let absolutely every Broncos fan down. He fucked up in the GF, love to admit it or not, he did. The ONLY way he can makeup for that is by playing like a man possessed. And he hasn't.

Fickle is a bit rich for a guy who held onto the Reed vs Dropley agenda for as long as he did.

Hunt still has a lot to like in his game. But as a half back, the general of the team He lacks game management and a really good kicking game that separates the good from the great. If he wasn't a half back, you could overlook some of his faults, but he is and I don't think you can.

For me, if he shows the dedication and attention to detail in improving his game like Cooper Cronk has done, he can still become a very good half back Imo. Cronk has only got where he has through hours of practice, not so much on natural ability. At 26 though, I just don't think Hunt has it in him to do it.

still too early to say how Ash will do. He is very promising, but he still has a lot to prove. I do think he has in his game what we are lacking however.

Not according to Kevin Walters. Well, not yet.

Taylor is well down in the pecking order and will remain there unless one of Milford, Morgan or Hunt decline badly or they get injured.

Last edited:
C'mon hunt prove the nay Sayers wrong. Taylor is Titan scum!

Active Now

• Browny
  • The Strapper
  • Allo
  • Fozz
  • BooKhaki
  • Broncs1459
  • Rambstien
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • theshed
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Waynesaurus
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwibronco
  • Santa
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.