Ben Hunt

• Thread starter BroncosFan4Life7
  • Start date
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I am one of the bigger Ben Hunt fans going around so I am not writing him off but I think he has plenty of work to do to be the halfback we need. He has shown plenty of potential but he needs to add a lot to his game to be considered a success at NRL level yet let alone talk of Rep teams.

B

BroncosFan4Life7

NYC Player
Sep 1, 2013
I am one of the bigger Ben Hunt fans going around so I am not writing him off but I think he has plenty of work to do to be the halfback we need. He has shown plenty of potential but he needs to add a lot to his game to be considered a success at NRL level yet let alone talk of Rep teams.[/QUOThe
he needs to work on his defence and build up his self-confidence a bit. I reckon he'll be a great halfback, that is if Barba or Milford stay out of the way

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
I truly believe he will come into his own with a full season at halfback with no threat of being shunted back to bench hooker.

Having him under the tutelage of Lockyer & Langer wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I actually think his defence is generally ok for a little guy like he is. He needs to improve it but it isn't terrible.
Yes, his defence is certainly good enough. That is at least one benefit of the years spent in the hooker backup role.
His other big plus is his vision, not only attacking but defending as well.
His kicking game accuracy is improving and so is his decision making.

He does need to improve his organisation and become more assertive when directing the team in attack. He doesn't take charge because he's too timid still...

What will make or break him, is whether he is able to maintain a consistent high level, as has a tendency to completely disappear from the games for long periods.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
What weaknesses have you guys identified in Hunt's game?

For mine, I believe a lot of his issues can be fixed if he can work on his positioning. I've noticed that he has the tendancy to place himself in awkward positions on the field and it restricts either his options or execution on the play. Fortunately, this problem can be solved but he needs to work diligently across the off-season and use things from Cooper Cronk and Joey Johns' game.

I'm glad he's received an opportunity. I see plenty in him which is more than I can say about the other three halves we had on our books this season.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Like a lot of young halves, the chip and chase when it's not on.

I saw it with Norman too, when it comes off it's awesome and shows they aren't afraid of taking a risk and trying something but it can be a killer when it's just not the right play.

One thing I hope he hones in on is just stabbing a kick in behind for a repeat set whenever possible, it's such a great thing to be able to tire out defences with repeat sets especially if you're having trouble cracking them.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Needs to work on his last tackle - both in play selection & execution.

B

BroncosFan4Life7

NYC Player
Sep 1, 2013
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
How about being more than just a confidence player and not go missing when things aren't going your way.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Let's give him a full offseason, the trials and a chance to start in the halves next season and see how he goes. I think it's very easy to overlook that he's been a backup hooker for 4 years and was just thrown back in to the halves in the last 6 weeks to see what happens. He showed enough to indicate he could do a good job there. He won't win a premiership without a decent partner, but that's not something he can control.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
This is why he needs a good player to partner him cause he gets flustered and go's missing , needs to work hard to have a polished game but has the skills. Fingers crossed

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
While agreeing with the above, Hunt also needs a team around him who knows where they are supposed to be at any given time, for any given play.

To say Cronk for example positions himself well is only part of the story. Sure, he has good instincts and adapts, but that is made all the more easy by having a team that is aware of of each other and almost instinctively know they are never alone, that there will always be support, that a kick-chase is a conditioned reflex, not a question of "...am I in the mood".

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
While agreeing with the above, Hunt also needs a team around him who knows where they are supposed to be at any given time, for any given play.

To say Cronk for example positions himself well is only part of the story. Sure, he has good instincts and adapts, but that is made all the more easy by having a team that is aware of of each other and almost instinctively know they are never alone, that there will always be support, that a kick-chase is a conditioned reflex, not a question of "...am I in the mood".

Yeah agree but that comes with time , all part of organizing his player's and his players knowing his game . Cronk , Smith & slater have been playing together for a long time , everything is focused around them .

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
I've got confidence he'll come good. A full pre-season with the players around him will do him the world of good. As others have said, I hope the club gets some real good help for him too, Lockyer, Langer, whoever.

I must admit I don't really get the 'defence could be better' - he's a solid tackler and I can remember quite a few times this year where he's made fantastic, NEEDED tackles and got us out of trouble. Of all the players in our team this year, I'd put Hunt near the end of the list for 'defence needs work'!

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
I've got confidence he'll come good. A full pre-season with the players around him will do him the world of good. As others have said, I hope the club gets some real good help for him too, Lockyer, Langer, whoever.

I must admit I don't really get the 'defence could be better' - he's a solid tackler and I can remember quite a few times this year where he's made fantastic, NEEDED tackles and got us out of trouble. Of all the players in our team this year, I'd put Hunt near the end of the list for 'defence needs work'!

Awesome at reading kicks. Awesome tackler thanks to hooking. But his reading/sliding/positioning out wide in defence is quite poor. Cost us at least two tries this year whilst in the halves just due to poor reads. This will improve with a pre season and more time in the halves. He's played like ten games at half in the last three years remember.

Unread

Active Now

• Galah
  • mitch222
  • ivanhungryjak
  • thenry
  • barker
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • phoenix
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.