NEWS Ben Ikin appointed Head of Football

Interesting that Ikin said his responsibilities were yet to be fully nutted out. I would find it odd for someone with even less experience than Kevvie to be determining who his coaching staff should be. It made it sound like it could be a broader role than what Nolan had.

It's a good addition to the club, it's hard to know who is and isn't going to be a good signing for the club in the role he is taking up but just as someone who watches NRL360 most night he's usually pretty accurate with his views on certain things.

I've got to admire the brilliance of this as a '**** you' to Wayne.

I don't mind it, I know what Wayne brings and if he were at the club we'd probably be in the 8 but it's only a stop gap fix with Wayne, he's getting on these days and he wouldn't have that long left in him

We can't rely on a supercoach forever

Didn’t badel write a couple of days ago that the broncos would formally advertise for a new GM of football next week?

I would prefer to believe that it’s been in the works for a while and it was part of the “plan”.

Didn’t badel write a couple of days ago that the broncos would formally advertise for a new GM of football next week?

I would prefer to believe that it’s been in the works for a while and it was part of the “plan”.
He did, but it was framed as "News Corp understands" with a bunch of bullet points. Which is a bit like saying "we're being told this, and we're obliged to relay it, but don't blame us if it's wrong."

Normally you wouldn't pay much attention to this lead-in but in this case News Corp is the majority shareholder. It's an interesting construction in this light. He's saying this is what the CEO has told shareholders.

In reality, it's quite possible they've all known about this for weeks, but have been embargoed.

It might also be an outright white lie to give the impression of doing due diligence in the job search process but actually having Ikin earmarked for a place at the club since right back when he failed to get the CEO job.

I'm just making all this up, but this isn't your average slow news day puff piece.

He did, but it was framed as "News Corp understands" with a bunch of bullet points. Which is a bit like saying "we're being told this, and we're obliged to relay it, but don't blame us if it's wrong."

Normally you wouldn't pay much attention to this lead-in but in this case News Corp is the majority shareholder. It's an interesting construction in this light. He's saying this is what the CEO has told shareholders.

In reality, it's quite possible they've all known about this for weeks, but have been embargoed.

It might also be an outright white lie to give the impression of doing due diligence in the job search process but actually having Ikin earmarked for a place at the club since right back when he failed to get the CEO job.

I'm just making all this up, but this isn't your average slow news day puff piece.
He (Ikin) clearly must have presented really well in the interviews for the CEO position (indeed the rumour for quite a while was that he had the job), so maybe they had earmarked him for a role somewhere in the organisation.

He (Ikin) clearly must have presented really well in the interviews for the CEO position (indeed the rumour for quite a while was that he had the job), so maybe they had earmarked him for a role somewhere in the organisation.
I seem to recall someone from the Broncos, after Ikin failed to get CEO, saying something to the effect of "thanks for you application Ben, we have your name on file" but didn't think much of it at the time.

I seem to recall someone from the Broncos, after Ikin failed to get CEO, saying something to the effect of "thanks for you application Ben, we have your name on file" but didn't think much of it at the time.
Probably Nolan …

Interesting that Ikin said his responsibilities were yet to be fully nutted out. I would find it odd for someone with even less experience than Kevvie to be determining who his coaching staff should be. It made it sound like it could be a broader role than what Nolan had.
I believe DD said something to the effect of the role changing with the times as part of the reason for letting Nolan go. Something like it's far more complex now and the role needs to be reassessed/ adjusted

From @McHunt - "Grilled Donuts"
"Peter Nolan's a good guy, he’s worked tirelessly for the club for a long time and I wish him all the very best. We’ll be catching up this week to necessitate a handover, he’s a professional. The role of General Manager in Football is often a thankless job, but it has also evolved in the modern game and our structure meant that role had too many functions, so structural change was required. It’s not a reflection of Pete."

He's not going to be Kevvie's boss and he's not going to be involved in who gets selected on Tuesday each week.

If Kevvie says I want to shoot Milf into the sun, it'll be Ikin's job to get it done
I don't think that is the case. He stressed the responsibilities have not been figured out yet but stressed that everything in the football department will be a joint responsibility between him, Kevvie and Donuts. The impression I get is Donuts is going to make sure that the clusterfuck of the last few years doesn't happen again. People will get input and rope but if you want to do something stupid Big Dick Dave will stop it.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Matheos
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Strop
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.