Bennett breaks silence on Hunt

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
WAYNE Bennett has ruled out sending halfback Ben Hunt to the Dragons this season.

Bennett said he backed the NRL’s $6 million man to fire in Brisbane before heading south next year.

The Broncos coach has broken a month-long silence on Hunt in a bid to scupper speculation he fears could spiral out of control.

The NRL’s most successful coach used his annual address at Brisbane’s season launch on Friday night to deliver a public show of support for Hunt.

The former Test playmaker will join the Dragons next season on a five-year deal. Cowboys champion Johnathan Thurston has warned Hunt faces enormous public scrutiny this season, while Queensland legend Billy Moore has called for the Broncos to send him to the Dragons immediately.

Bennett insists Hunt will honour his Broncos deal and will not compromise his standards as Brisbane try to snap an 11-year title drought this season.

“One personal issue is Ben Hunt,” Bennett said.

“Before the speculation gets away and things get out of control … Ben is committed to the club for the rest of the season.

“We’re committed to him and nothing is going to change in that department.

“He is in his 10th year with the club, he has been a wonderful servant for us.

“I enjoy coaching him, he understands what the Broncos are about and one thing I know is that Ben will always be doing his best.”

Bennett has such faith in Hunt that the Broncos are reshaping their offence this season to place more responsibility on the Maroons hopeful and his halves partner Anthony Milford.

Hunt and Milford are under firm instructions to run the ball and straighten Brisbane’s attack this season — starting against the Sharks in the season opener on Thursday night.

Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith has worked with Hunt and Milford in Origin camps and believes the halfback will benefit from having sorted out his future.

“For me, Ben announcing he is going to the Dragons will actually take the pressure off him,” Smith said.

“His future is settled and I hope Hunty now just backs himself.

“When the Broncos went to the grand final (in 2015), he was a massive reason why they made the decider.

“He’s a quality player and he’s on the cusp of Origin, so my advice to Ben is to have the confidence in himself to keep playing well.”

Bookmakers have installed Brisbane as equal favourites to win the premiership, but Bennett warned Hunt and his troops against complacency.

“You need a commitment that is total and the only way to manage that is by doing your best every week,” Bennett said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/370fe57ef6484a8fe644dac591f1b3ca

It only just dawned on me that Hunt and Milford may partner each other at origin from different club teams.

Weird.

It only just dawned on me that Hunt and Milford may partner each other at origin from different club teams.

Weird.

Won't happen. Hunt through away whatever chance he had of playing origin when he signed with the Dragons.

Good of Wayne to back Hunt before the start of the season, give him some confidence. It's up to Ben now to perform.

Bennett said he backed the NRL’s $6 million man to fire in Brisbane before heading south next year.

ca
That just sounds so wrong. $6 Million for Ben Hunt would have to go down as one of the most ridiculous signings in history. I think Sandow had the title for a while but it will take something special to beat this one.
Biggest Overs in the history of the game.

It just dawned on me that I would be reaching for a razor and staring at my wrists if Hunt and Milford were the QLD halves. That would be a nightmare come true.

I just wonder if we had of held on to Taylor if Bennett would have backed Hunt this year or gone with Taylor. Anyway, Hunt is who we have and I hope he has a great year.

That just sounds so wrong. $6 Million for Ben Hunt would have to go down as one of the most ridiculous signings in history. I think Sandow had the title for a while but it will take something special to beat this one.
Biggest Overs in the history of the game.

It just dawned on me that I would be reaching for a razor and staring at my wrists if Hunt and Milford were the QLD halves. That would be a nightmare come true.

So do you actually like anyone from the Broncos? Besides Captain James Roberts of course.

So do you actually like anyone from the Broncos? Besides Captain James Roberts of course.

Its well documented that Ben Barba should have been captain two years ago then when Roberts came on board it would have been a joint partnership.

You've got two more days to get on the Hunt train peeps until the season starts and you have to wear your "Broncos Fan" capes.

JT's off contract, he owes us a season.

If JT was willing to sign on for a year next year and we could afford him without losing anyone important, I would be completely for it. That year with the Milf would be invaluable in the long run and the Broncs would be every chance of sending JT out a winner.

If JT was willing to sign on for a year next year and we could afford him without losing anyone important, I would be completely for it. That year with the Milf would be invaluable in the long run and the Broncs would be every chance of sending JT out a winner.

JT is also considering playing beyond 2018.

It would be awesome and the knowledge Milford would gain would be very valuable.

But it's all just a dream.

Us signing JT would trigger the biggest meltdown in RL history, and would probably be Bennett's biggest ever coup.

Someone needs to make a "Bring JT Home" banner to bring to games...

Remind him that he already has a footy field named after him in Brisbane...

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Manofoneway
  • cento
  • Xzei
  • Stix
  • YeahNahMate
  • barker
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
  • jd87
  • pennywisealfie
  • Johnny92
  • ChewThePhatt
  • TimWhatley
  • NSW stables
  • broncos4life
  • Redfern_1980
  • Aldo
  • davidp
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.