NEWS Bennett's Broncos dynasty on death row

Problem is, a lot of players are pretty close to Bennett, and it wont do us any good if we have a group of unhappy players. We could have our hand forced as we wont want unhappy footballers.

Time will tell. The playing group can’t not know the situation with Bennett now, yet are still re-signing...

Just sign him. It sounds like JD is going to stay around until Wayne pulls the pin, and he's the perfect man to replace him having been around the squad for ages and having earned his wraps in the lower grades.

**** Seibold off, he's caught lightning in a fucking bottle with that Souths squad: there's absolutely NO guarantee that he's the next big thing. Why risk the future of our club on him?

Last edited:
Just sign him. It sounds like JD is going to stay around until Wayne pulls the pin, and he's the perfect man to replace him having been around the squad for ages and having earned his wraps in the lower grades.

**** Seibold off, he's caught lightning in a fucking bottle with that Souths squad: there's absolutely NO guarantee that he's the next big thing. Why risk the future of our club on him?

How is JD the "perfect" man while Seibold a risk?

Last edited:
How is JD the "perfect" man while Seibold a risk?

Because Seibold isn't better than Wayne, and JD is a fine option in terms of succession given his history in the lower levels as a coach. He's also been an assistant at the Broncos for a few years and would allow Wayne to stick around to mentor the younger blokes who buy into Bennett's style. There's no guarantee that Seibold would want that to happen, or Wayne himself would want to do it given the club basically threw him out the back door.

The risk with signing Seibold is that we lose Wayne from the club for good and potentially players like TPJ which would set our side back another 5-10 years. All this for a guy who isn't even guaranteed to be a good coach. It's not like the Souths squad is crap, they just needed a coach to come in who wouldn't work them to death like Maguire. The only big move he's done this year is turfing Farah for Cook.

I could understand these sorts of risks if we were signing Bellamy, but not for any other coach in the league.

Last edited:
So...you don't want Wayne coaching beyond next year?

Heh.

Nice try knob.

That's exactly what I think...

...but don't worry we have Kevvie and Alfie and Seibold and whoever is walking past the gym at the right time.

Last edited:
Seibold has achieved fucking nothing. This is bullshit and White and the board can get fucked.

Problem is, a lot of players are pretty close to Bennett, and it wont do us any good if we have a group of unhappy players. We could have our hand forced as we wont want unhappy footballers.
they may be close, but where would they all go... even if Bennett went to another club, are all these players going to be able to move in with him. It truly doesn't make sense to just up an leave.. have the shits for a while, get over it and move on.. long run the players only hurt themselves because as is often mentioned, players have a limited shelf life, and if you spend a good part of it having a tanty, it will get even shorter.

I never want a rookie coach at the helm again... that includes kevvie for me. Don't know where that leaves us, but the henjak griffin era must never be repeated.

I never want a rookie coach at the helm again... that includes kevvie for me. Don't know where that leaves us, but the henjak griffin era must never be repeated.
Didn't the Henjack era start with a CEO sacking Bennett...

The only big move he's done this year is turfing Farah for Cook.

That’s been a pretty successful move too. Wouldn’t mind a coach being willing to do that to the Broncos current number 9.

That’s been a pretty successful move too. Wouldn’t mind a coach being willing to do that to the Broncos current number 9.

Yeah, because we have a Damian Cook style player just chilling off the bench...

Because Seibold isn't better than Wayne, and JD is a fine option in terms of succession given his history in the lower levels as a coach. He's also been an assistant at the Broncos for a few years and would allow Wayne to stick around to mentor the younger blokes who buy into Bennett's style. There's no guarantee that Seibold would want that to happen, or Wayne himself would want to do it given the club basically threw him out the back door.

The risk with signing Seibold is that we lose Wayne from the club for good and potentially players like TPJ which would set our side back another 5-10 years. All this for a guy who isn't even guaranteed to be a good coach. It's not like the Souths squad is crap, they just needed a coach to come in who wouldn't work them to death like Maguire. The only big move he's done this year is turfing Farah for Cook.

I could understand these sorts of risks if we were signing Bellamy, but not for any other coach in the league.

So we can’t turf Wayne for a proven NRL coach, but we can turf him for an un-proven assistant...

Ah huh, makes perfect sense. That’s what we did with Henjak and Griffin.

Worked wonders...

So we can’t turf Wayne for a proven NRL coach, but we can turf him for an un-proven assistant...

Ah huh, makes perfect sense. That’s what we did with Henjak and Griffin.

Worked wonders...

A season in the top grade with an established, NRL hardened squad, many of whom have won a premiership and played rep footy, is good enough?

I'd trust someone like Hasler, who has a proven record with different squads, to walk in and do a job with our squad (win a comp) over a first season coach who has had the fortune of coaching a fantastic, balanced side in a premiership window. There's no hard evidence that Seibold is better than, say, Pay or Brennan outside of him having the fortune of being handed a top 4 worthy side as opposed to a poisoned chalice.

JD is different to Henjak and Griff. He's been in different systems, is rated outside of the club, and will have Wayne around so he doesn't collapse under the pressure of coaching a club as big as ours. I may be wrong here, but before Seibold got handed the Souths job he wasn't considered as bright a coaching prospect as JD.

EDIT: In short, the biggest benefit to not going all guns blazing for Seibold is that we keep the best coach of all time around to win us a comp or two before he wants to give it up. Who knows, maybe Bellamy/ a better alternative to Seibold, who the club obviously views as a long term option if they are going after him, is on the market when that happens. Or JD is as good as the 'experts' say he is.

Last edited:
For me proposition is simple.

Step 1. Work out coaching system structure. For me that is a figurehead, mentor, department supervisor and guy with gravitas to pull players but still give coach room to do their job on the day to day tactics, team selections etc. Namely WB. Alternatively a Meninga, Lockyer (preferably bit older guy) or so forth.
Step 2. Who is going to coach. Need to consider fit with step 1 but options are really JD, Cleary, Seibold or Walters. JD has an a great junior record so seems logical but Cleary is probably most clever, experienced and brings his son.
For me WB has done his final contract as head coach of broncos. He will be 70 and now have nucleus signed need a new coach to implement tactically better game plans. At some point WB has to stop the old saying better to retire one year earlier than later comes to mind. He needs someone to sit him down and tell him to be realistic and switch to director of coaching so he can work for another 10+ years just not 70 hrs a week like an NRL head coach.

they may be close, but where would they all go... even if Bennett went to another club, are all these players going to be able to move in with him. It truly doesn't make sense to just up an leave.. have the shits for a while, get over it and move on.. long run the players only hurt themselves because as is often mentioned, players have a limited shelf life, and if you spend a good part of it having a tanty, it will get even shorter.

I'm sure plenty of clubs would find a way to take players TPJ, Roberts etc. In this day and age clubs find a way. And its not them throwing a tanty either. If they feel the club hasnt treated Bennett in the right way i can totally understand them not wanting to work for an organisation who treats a legend of the club poorly ( if thats what happens ). Its not going to hurt the careers of our better players one bit.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • broncsgoat
  • Brocko
  • Aldo
  • Organix
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Scorchie
  • Fozz
  • lynx000
  • Harry Sack
  • Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Foordy
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.