NEWS Bennett's Broncos dynasty on death row

Chairman of the board is a former Manly season ticket holder. Tells you all you need to know about the current board.

Dumb to let Wayne walk unless we had Bellamy signed, and even that was 50/50 (Wayne is a better coach, but age is on Bellamy’s side and he has hype behind him). Seibold appears to be a good coach, but this is his first year and the Rabbits don’t exactly have a crap squad. JD could easily be superior, and he’s done his time here in Brisbane and knows the squad for when Bennett is ready to hand over the reigns.

I could understand feeling out Seibold if Wayne wanted to retire, but in my mind he’s still the best coach in the comp. Just look at the side he’s building FFS.
My suspicion is bennett actually wants to retire. Sure bennett has said he wants to continue in the media, but whens the last time bennett didnt lead the media on a wild goose chase. He could just be playing games with them to take pressure off his players, like he often does....

My suspicion is bennett actually wants to retire. Sure bennett has said he wants to continue in the media, but whens the last time bennett didnt lead the media on a wild goose chase. He could just be playing games with them to take pressure off his players, like he often does....
This sounds more believable and makes more sense than the current trash being served up by the outrageously right-leaning curious mail.

OMG! Badel spinned up something unusual today in CM. This time, it's all pro Wayne Bennett & how Broncos board shouldn't mess up instead extend Wayne's contract beyond 2019.

Can the board headed by dubious Chairman STFU until the season's end?

Once the season's over, put your head into perspective as to why all the young players are re-committing to the club? For what reason are they re-committing? Without Wayne, Broncos brand would not be as glitter as it can be. Of-course the great man can't coach forever but, he deserves the right to leave the club in his own terms.

I'm certain Bedal has nil access to anyone on the board, in the club, or a brain to use daily.
He also proved he had absolutely no idea about anything Broncos related when Paul White straight up told him we were never chasing Paul Green at the Bennett press conference.

If we are going to re-sign TPJ and co and push up into the final four and beyond all the negative talk regarding Bennett needs to be curtailed a tad. Media I am referring to of course.

Last edited:
Therein lies not only the problem, but the result that the media is looking for.

These are the guys that assured everyone that Bennett had lost the playing group. He'd lost his aura. That we were chasing Paul Green hard. That Bellamy was genuinely considering coming to the Broncos. How much of that has turned out to be correct?

And now, going off the same "sources", we're now here questioning the professionalism of the Broncos and the competence of the board and White moving forward. Why? We're falling for exactly what the media want - to white ant us wherever possible. The danger is that regardless of whether the journos are being honest or not (and I'll say even if they're not outright lying, they're being very disingenuous), the public believing it is what enables a real chance of the club going to shit. I repeat, not because of anything the club may or may not have done, but because the public and the fans and the shareholders lose faith in their ability and the calls get louder to sack White or the board or Bennett or whoever.

It's what pisses me off the most, because even if we all here don't put any weight behind it, or the opinions of Kent or Tallis or Rothfield, there are tens of thousands who fall for it. And simply manipulating public opinion does indeed have the ability to cause real-life problems for a club, even one as strong as the Broncos.

Last edited:
Well said Morkel. I'm sure one of the younger members here can put that old hip hop clip up 'Don't believe the hype'. the print media is currently dying the death of a thousand cuts, primarily as a result of social media but in the curious mail's case it's partly due to poor journalism and mostly due to non-existent editorialship. If a newspaper wishes to prolong their existence they need to realise that the garbage they are printing can be (with aid of the web) fact checked in minutes. The faux outrage and drama they manufacture is subject to the law of ever diminishing returns. The ****wits are in a catch 22 of their own making. By rushing to embrace online advertising they effectively set in motion their own demise. As I said the only way to combat this is by printing well researched and fully informed articles to the public. In the Curious mail's case - don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. I guess it's a sad indictment of them having a monopoly on the whole of Queensland and still managing to **** it up.

"But I think you already knew that"

Excellent.

This is still the best smack down I have seen. Whenever I doubt White I go back to this and I'm just like...

giphy.gif

Any reason why a Broncos board member can't get on the front foot and deny some of the outright lies? Or at least put their own more positive spin on what the media is saying?

I often wonder why they don't more often call for their own press conference or release their own statements direct to the public. that would shut many up quick smart.

It's a rubbish article.

Just add it to the pile guys. The only thing to take from it is the Broncos are going to let Wayne see out his contract for next year.

It's the only outcome to suit both parties atm and who knows? The boys might go on a 'do it for Wayne' tour and win the comp.

Imagine if we won the comp next year. Realistically speaking, our first genuine shot is more likely to be 2020 but Wayne getting the last laugh suits me down to the ground.

There's too much smoke now that Wayne will be replaced for 2020. I doubt he is here for 2020.

I think it's highly possible Demetriou will be coach and the Broncos don't want to lose him to another Head Coach gig if they offer Wayne a new deal.

Seibold has got a good thing going at Souths. Doubt he leaves that any time soon.

Last edited:
Any reason why a Broncos board member can't get on the front foot and deny some of the outright lies? Or at least put their own more positive spin on what the media is saying?

I often wonder why they don't more often call for their own press conference or release their own statements direct to the public. that would shut many up quick smart.

Because then you end up with the Bellaby saga.

Had that played out behind closed doors, him re-signing with Melbourne would have been a non-event for the Broncos. Clubs have negotiations like this that go on behind the scenes all the time, clubs miss out on a coach all the time. Or tentatively sound out a coach or whatever, because doing so is being on the front foot and is good business.

Right now, the media is trying to push us back to that same situation. Where even if the board comes out and says that no decision has been made at all, if Bennett somehow does end up finishing up after 2019, we'll be made to sound like we had that intention all along and were lying to the public. Or if he stays on, the media will say that public pressure resulted in him being re-signed and that Bennett should feel really aggrieved in not only being treated that way, but allowing the club to have it played out through the media.

It's a lose-lose regardless. The media want us to come out and say something. Hopefully the club has learned that feeding the vultures is a bad idea even at the best of times, and stay silent until a decision has been made. At the moment, that seems to be what they are doing, ie, waiting until the end of the season to begin the process.

Bennett knew this was coming the moment Morris was announced as chairman, and he has been doing his best to work the board into re-signing him since. A new chairman could have easily blinked with all Benny's games and extended his contract a couple of years, but the fact he hasn't suggests Newscorp had already decided his fate. I dare say that if another NRL club were genuinely interested, Bennett would be out the door at the end of this year with very little warning to the club.

I would also like to hear from Paul White just to dismiss the rumour, but if the board or upper management start responding to every rumour about the broncos then the media will pull their fishing rods out until they slip up or ignore something.

Last that we heard from the media was Bennett proposed to coach through 2019 before handing over to a JD type coach and moving into a head of football role. Potentially the board can't answer yet hell they may want Bennett to coach this group beyond 2020, but Bennett wants to hand it over??

We have a formidable team building and the window is wide open so we need to nail down the near future to ensure some success. If Bennett wins the comp next year what better way would there be to go out.

I believe Bennett will have his post captain's run press conference today and it will undoubtedly be asked.

Interested to hear what he responds with.

Bennett knew this was coming the moment Morris was announced as chairman, and he has been doing his best to work the board into re-signing him since. A new chairman could have easily blinked with all Benny's games and extended his contract a couple of years, but the fact he hasn't suggests Newscorp had already decided his fate. I dare say that if another NRL club were genuinely interested, Bennett would be out the door at the end of this year with very little warning to the club.

I can't rule out that Bennett isn't the one that "leaked" to the media the fact that the Broncos have not yet accepted any deals involving staying on beyond 2019. Or that he's using the player re-signings to drum up positive support for him and trying to railroad the club in to re-signing him.

Just as I can't rule out that Bennett also leaked the Bellamy info in order to advance his own cause, ie, making it public so it would have to play out in the media, even somewhat sabotaging the Broncos' perceived professionalism in order to push Bellamy towards staying with Melbourne.

But again, the info that I'm basing those possibilities on comes from what we've been led to believe from the media. So I'm certainly not going to base my opinions on that information, or start to lose faith in the club or even Bennett because of it.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Broncorob
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.