NEWS Bennett's Broncos dynasty on death row

Didn't the Henjack era start with a CEO sacking Bennett...

No it started with Bennett leaving in the dead of night for the Roosters and giving the Broncos one month to find a coach before the 2007 season- even though that did't eventuate it was just luck it didn't.

That's what made them so jumpy before that the thought of him leaving was ridiculous.

Last edited:
any 1 else get kinda tired of the hate 1910 shows bennett. Any chance he gets will give a snide comment regarding him.

i appreciate all the info 1910 posts here but you can easily tell Bennett has pissed him off in past and just like a lot of the media he has a axe to grind with him.

(please note i don't necessarily think bennett is perfect he has made so many mistakes but it gets tiresome hearing the same crap post from all the media about how selfish and evil he is while ignoring all the good he has done for the game)

Because Seibold isn't better than Wayne, and JD is a fine option in terms of succession given his history in the lower levels as a coach. He's also been an assistant at the Broncos for a few years and would allow Wayne to stick around to mentor the younger blokes who buy into Bennett's style. There's no guarantee that Seibold would want that to happen, or Wayne himself would want to do it given the club basically threw him out the back door.

The risk with signing Seibold is that we lose Wayne from the club for good and potentially players like TPJ which would set our side back another 5-10 years. All this for a guy who isn't even guaranteed to be a good coach. It's not like the Souths squad is crap, they just needed a coach to come in who wouldn't work them to death like Maguire. The only big move he's done this year is turfing Farah for Cook.

I could understand these sorts of risks if we were signing Bellamy, but not for any other coach in the league.

If you think Souths only have one difference you're not paying close attention. Seibold has completely changed them and his coaching principals are outstanding. I said it before this year how good he is and he showing it so far.

I am not against JD either they have similar traits and skills. You seem to be forgetting in talking up JD's work in lower grades that Seibold has been doing it for 10 years at Cutters, Manly, Souths, Queensland, Queensland U18's, Queensland U16 and Residents and Storm. As well as the head of the emerging program for four years.

Bennett doesn't own the club. The board have to make sure we get the right coach at the right time. Bennett is ultimately thinking about himself - e.g. HE wants to keep coaching.

The two parties have different interests.

Last edited:
I really don’t see what the problem is.

Bennett is the best coach of all time and the second best coach of recent history. The best coach just re-signed at the Storm.

Bennett has the full support of our players and has just started to build a second premiership window. Blooding some of the most exciting talent in our club’s history.

He has yet to miss the finals, has taken us to a GF, and is still in the running for a top 4 finish is a season completely decimated by injuries.

Do I think the broncos should start looking for a new coach or at least consider alternatives? Sure. But objectively, if Bennett hasn’t done enough to hold onto the gig for another season or two, what exactly does it take?

The only thing I can think of is that there is something happening behind the scenes.

Look guys I love Wayne. Always have and will. I defend him all the time and believe he is the best coach of all time. The fact is at his age anything can happen The percentiles of illness all go up. So i understand why the Broncos are thinking that Wayne is not the option. Even if we resign Wayne up to 2021 we will be in the same spot. Wayne would be heading towards 72. I think the real issue is a plan has not been in place sooner. Kevie or JD should have been getting more control in 2019 with Wayne overseeing the transition for a further 3 years up to 2022.

If Bennett goes elsewhere simply because the board thinks we need someone younger, it's going to be another monumental **** up.

I don't care if he's 80, if you're good enough you're old enough, or in his case, young enough.

Look guys I love Wayne. Always have and will. I defend him all the time and believe he is the best coach of all time. The fact is at his age anything can happen The percentiles of illness all go up. So i understand why the Broncos are thinking that Wayne is not the option. Even if we resign Wayne up to 2021 we will be in the same spot. Wayne would be heading towards 72. I think the real issue is a plan has not been in place sooner. Kevie or JD should have been getting more control in 2019 with Wayne overseeing the transition for a further 3 years up to 2022.
My understanding is Bennett has only asked for a 1 year extension, not a long term contract. If he's good enough in 2018/2019, he'll be good enough in 2020

Seibold has achieved fucking nothing. This is bullshit and White and the board can get fucked.
The media are linking us to every coach in the game (available or not) ... nearly every rumour had proved to be full of shit

The media are linking us to every coach in the game (available or not) ... nearly every rumour had proved to be full of shit

I’m all for the media are full of shit but there is obviously something to this.

Rabbitohs and Broncos will swap coaches before the start of next season, that's my prediction.

For all we know Wayne has agreed to an extension and just playing the media like the knobs they are

Rabbitohs and Broncos will swap coaches before the start of next season, that's my prediction.
Happy to tell you I have a grand to say that won't happen, care to have a wager ?

I’m all for the media are full of shit but there is obviously something to this.
Well is there something to these other BS rumours the have been pushing for ever and a day.

We want Paul Green as our coach

Maybe we want Ivan Cleary

We're possibly interested in JD to replace Bennett.

Or we could be looking at Kev Walters

Seibold is just this week's attempt to try and destabilize us. He has even said there has been no discussions or offers.

The only one that was even remotely right so far has been the Bellamy rumours, and Bennett even admitted that he was involved in the discussions about approaching Bellamy (even though he wasn't aware discussions had taken place)

If the choice is between believing White or believing those vultures in the media, I choose to believe White until he gives me a reason not to.

A season in the top grade with an established, NRL hardened squad, many of whom have won a premiership and played rep footy, is good enough?

I'd trust someone like Hasler, who has a proven record with different squads, to walk in and do a job with our squad (win a comp) over a first season coach who has had the fortune of coaching a fantastic, balanced side in a premiership window. There's no hard evidence that Seibold is better than, say, Pay or Brennan outside of him having the fortune of being handed a top 4 worthy side as opposed to a poisoned chalice.

Actually it will be 2 full seasons and a bit as he took over the Rabbits in September 2017 and is contracted with them until the end of next season, but why split hairs...

I for one wouldn’t want Hasler anywhere goddamn near our club. Not that I have any sympathies but he dumped his own long term club at Manly at a moments notice as soon as a better offer came along and he turned the Bulldogs into an absolute basket-case of a club. Yes he won a comp. So did Stuart. Want to see him here maybe? I don’t.

If you think that is what we need, well not much more needs to be said...

JD is different to Henjak and Griff. He's been in different systems, is rated outside of the club, and will have Wayne around so he doesn't collapse under the pressure of coaching a club as big as ours. I may be wrong here, but before Seibold got handed the Souths job he wasn't considered as bright a coaching prospect as JD.

EDIT: In short, the biggest benefit to not going all guns blazing for Seibold is that we keep the best coach of all time around to win us a comp or two before he wants to give it up. Who knows, maybe Bellamy/ a better alternative to Seibold, who the club obviously views as a long term option if they are going after him, is on the market when that happens. Or JD is as good as the 'experts' say he is.

If JD is as great as you seem to think he is, why is he never in the running for every head coaching job that comes along? Why does our own club, not rate him as anything more than an assistant, apparently?

In short, Siebold has runs on the board in NRL that neither Kevvie or JD do. It is that simple. If we are going to pick a rookie head coach, personally I think we should look at someone who has SOME runs on the board, as opposed to none.

We’ve been there and done that twice before and both were complete disasters. Without being able to get someone like Bellamy, a younger coach with SOME runs on the board, seems far better to me given our own experience than a young (er)coach with none...

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Bish
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Lurker
  • Aldo
  • Volvo Driver
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.