BHQ Countdown: Most Loved/Least Liked Players Reveal thread

My ex-wife and I met him and he told me why he wanted me to come to the Roosters. He wanted me on a three-year contract and then said I could write down on a piece of paper what I wanted. Nick went out of the room and left us on our own, so we thought we'd go for broke. We wrote down $1 million a year.17 May 2018

Renouf: The day I nearly signed with Roosters for $1 million a ...

View attachment 21811
NRL.com
https://www.nrl.com › news › 2018/05/17 › steve-renouf.

Million over 3 years- not a million a year. I've heard him tell the story a lot. He meant 330k a year.

Million over 3 years- not a million a year. I've heard him tell the story a lot. He meant 330k a year.
It actually says per year over 3 years, his words too.

I thought I rated Pearl as my #1, must have muffed it. My childhood hero tho, what can't you say about him? I don't remember exactly when I found out he was a Type 1 Diabetic but (as one as well) that was such a huge inspiration for me at a time when it was a bloody difficult thing to get my head around. I've struggled with it as a normal bloke so I can only imagine how hard it must have been for him as a professional sportsman. My favourite ever player and I think he always will be.
My partner is also type 1 diabetic and loves the Pearl (and Snake stewart ew) because of it. I actually had the fortune of meeting him once and we chatted about diabetes and he gave me lots of great advice to pass on. Such a legend.

Renouf - like many have already said, was also my childhood hero. Absolutely loved watching him play and may have even been the reason I supported the Broncos from an early age.

Milford - what a disappointment he turned out to be. In the 2016 game against the Cowboys when he kicked that field goal I was in bemusement that he was so good and only 21 at the time. I truly thought he was going to be an all time great. I then blindly supported him over the next number of years, convincing myself he would come good eventually. Damn shame.
That second paragraph hits hard man
Make It Stop The Office GIF

Pearl will always have my love and respect. One of the all time great outside backs, multi time premiership winner and remained loyal and supportive of the club from the day he retired until today. You could see his pain and disappointment in his tweets and public appearances during the "Dark Days" of 2020-21. He was hurting just as much as we all were.

Milford? Well he couldn't be more opposite. Top 5 is probably a tad harsh but I certainly don't blame people for having ill feelings about him. As others have said, could have easily been a great of the game on his 2015-16 form, came within a bees dick of a Clive Churchill medal and had the world at his feet, but eventually the sloth inside him won the day, and he took the club and the fans for a very expensive ride for 5 years. I will never forget the footage a mate of mine at TAFE showed me of Milford partying without a care in the world while his club was on struggle street. He just could not care less about on field success, and as a consequence nobody gives a shit about him anymore.

BHQ Loved

4. Justin Hodges

sMWw3sV.jpg

2000-2001, 2005-2015
Position: Centre, Fullback, Wing
Games: 195
Tries: 73
2011 BHQ Greatest Rank: 13
Highest Vote: 1 (Morkel)

BHQ Loathed

4. Ashton Sims

gIJMzF4.png

2008-2010
Position: Back Row
Games: 56
Tries: 2
Highest Vote: 1 (mrslong, Allo, Strop)

The fun thing about Hodgo is if you did this list anywhere around 2002-2004, Hodges would have been in the top 3 easily for most loathed. Broncos fans hated him. Because of this, I always think anyone that comes to the Broncos and performs well will be accepted by the fanbase, regardless of previous dislike.

Never hated Sims. He made a mistake. We all do. I never thought he was any good or anything (Korbin was much worse) but I never disliked him.

Hodges - Absolute legend, who would have thought that when he left us. Also had a horror origin debut but came back and owned that arena. Grew into a great leader too. Shame we couldn’t send him out a winner in 2015 but helps stint as fullback in ‘06 was the stuff of legend, every bit as good as any other purple patch from the likes of Barba or Hayne since. If his hammies didn’t let him down, he could have been an all time great in that position but regardless dominated at centre anyway. His your number 2, he’s number 1 about Smith in origin was iconic. Deserved top 4.

Sims - Oh man will he live on in infamy. Hard to believe he was only with us three seasons, feels like it was forever. Likely dropped us a premiership when all he had to do was hold a stinking ball. The Storm have lived in our heads ever since. He would have also been a worthy top two but I think I can guess the top three and he’s in that company.

The fun thing about Hodgo is if you did this list anywhere around 2002-2004, Hodges would have been in the top 3 easily for most loathed. Broncos fans hated him. Because of this, I always think anyone that comes to the Broncos and performs well will be accepted by the fanbase, regardless of previous dislike.

Never hated Sims. He made a mistake. We all do. I never thought he was any good or anything (Korbin was much worse) but I never disliked him.
Yeah have personally never got the sims hate. Mountain out of a molehill if there ever was one.

Hodgo was an absolute legend... I didnt get around to voting 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️, but he wouldve been in my top 3 for sure... maybe even number 1 when it comes to favourite player.

Just unstoppable from dummy half... ridiculous that a guy with his (lack of) pace would consistently school the marker defence... it did not matter if the ptb was fast or slow he just always beat the first man... and in his later years he seemed to be making more linebreaks from DH runs than anyone.

His combination with JYY was getting to something special levels and it was looking like JYY would be the heir to the right centre throne after Hodgo's retirement, but wasnt meant to be.

Him and GI as a centre pairing for the origin dynasty was an absolute nightmare for NSW.... they fucking hated him, which made me love him as a player even more.

A year and half out of the game and still dominates on his return game.

Someone has to know the game against the Cowboys where we were losing and in the last quarter Hodges switches to fullback lays on two trys in quick succession only for a dirty Cows player to shoulder him in the head to take him out. I think 2015-ish.

A year and half out of the game and still dominates on his return game.

Someone has to know the game against the Cowboys where we were losing and in the last quarter Hodges switches to fullback lays on two trys in quick succession only for a dirty Cows player to shoulder him in the head to take him out. I think 2015-ish.

Brisbane fell ass backwards into the final and didn't turn up at all. It was 24-0 at half-time when Hodges switched to fullback. Brisbane scored 3 tries in a short span of time and during the lead up to their third try Tariq ironed him out.

Hodges came off in the final quarter, the Cowboys were able to sneak away with a 32-20 win. Tariq faced a lengthy suspension, but Brisbane only received a penalty for their trouble.

It would be a send off now, late, forceful, contact with the head - not that it would have changed anything.

A couple years ago my kid played a carnival vs Hodgo’s kid (just quietly, quite a gun at under 7’s tore us apart). Anyway, Hodgo was being touchie and every time a kid (from either team) ran past him down the wing he’d give them a high five, he was encouraging the big tackles and just basically being a total legend. Anyway during the game one of our boys did a shoulder in tackle and was down on the ground, Hodgo ran straight over to him, checked him over. Called the ref to stop the game and ran over to the carnival medics to alert them and then sat with the kid while waiting for the medics etc. He absolutely did not need to do any of that stuff! All the while he was encouraging his own boy and helping his mrs out with their other kid. Hodgo the great.

Compare that to Corey Parker who sat on his phone and ignored everyone including his own kid. 🙄

Any chance of a list so far without having to dig back through 41 pages @pennywisealfie?

Unread

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • thenry
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.