PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
Why is it ridiculous? How did you rate him last night?

Im perplexed as to why he gets such a pass. No other players who perform at his level are off limits to criticism like he is. There is an obvious bias favouring Billy.

I’ve never seen a poor player so staunchly defended. Sure, Isaako, Milf, and Niu had one or two weirdos who defended them to the death but Billy definitely appears to get a broader level of special treatment.
Is it defending or just acceptance of the situation.

Everyone knows Mozer is the long term future for the position... I think he's starting for Souths this week.

The complaints can come when Mozer is playing 80 and killing it down in qcup... most people have an acceptance that we're in a holding pattern with the current 9's until that happens.

Oh and we're also winning games against top opposition, so I'd say generally people cant be fucked have the same argument for 500th time and would prefer to cheer on the team

It's almost like the stint Paix plays is easier than the Walters one or something. Defends less and somehow does less on the field, yet we are claiming he's more effective? At what exactly? What's Paix done so far? Not pushed the pass once or been involved in a questionable strip call? Cool..

Im perplexed as to why he gets such a pass. No other players who perform at his level are off limits to criticism like he is. There is an obvious bias favouring Billy.

I’ve never seen a poor player so staunchly defended. Sure, Isaako, Milf, and Niu had one or two weirdos who defended them to the death but Billy definitely appears to get a broader level of special treatment.
He's not off limits at all, every thread is filled with you and McHunt repeating the same thing. People just don't agree that Paix is any better.

I think he's defended so, because of all the hate on a guy who plays his heart out every game (and some of the winging is just nitpicking and never ending). With no current replacement for him (it's not time to bring in another kid), it's really just pointless. He's got a job in the team, and he's doing it fine.

I just hate picking on players in my team who are obviously having a crack. It's just gets even more annoying when it happens after a win (especially against 2 of the 2023 favourites). I expect it from opposition fans, but not our own.

It's the similar to the hate that Riki gets as well. People come and post stats on metres, but if you actually watched the game, you would appreciate all the other little things he does well (love his kick chases, one on one tackles, etc.). It's a team sport, and not everyone is going to be the star of the show. Someone has to do the things that go unnoticed too.

I'm sure his team-mates and the coach appreciate what Walters, Riki, Staggs, etc. bring to the team.

I think he's defended so, because of all the hate on a guy who plays his heart out every game (and some of the winging is just nitpicking and never ending). With no current replacement for him (it's not time to bring in another kid), it's really just pointless. He's got a job in the team, and he's doing it fine.

I just hate picking on players in my team who are obviously having a crack. It's just gets even more annoying when it happens after a win (especially against 2 of the 2023 favourites). I expect it from opposition fans, but not our own.
All fair points but Lachlan Maranta was universally bashed and that was during probably the most successful period for the club over the last 15 years.

All fair points but Lachlan Maranta was universally bashed and that was during probably the most successful period for the club over the last 15 years.
Well I never bashed him (so not universal)! But that just shows we should learn from the past and celebrate the wins (and the payers who get them), cause you never know when it will all fall apart (not that it's going to fall apart again anytime soon) 😀

It's the similar to the hate that Riki gets as well. People come and post stats on metres, but if you actually watched the game, you would appreciate all the other little things he does well (love his kick chases, one on one tackles, etc.). It's a team sport, and not everyone is going to be the star of the show. Someone has to do the things that go unnoticed too.

I'm sure his team-mates and the coach appreciate what Walters, Riki, Staggs, etc. bring to the team.

Well they have to, otherwise they're out of the team amirite?

@BroncsFan has nailed it as far as I'm concerned...we're in a holding pattern until Mozer is ready. We don't want to rush him in or we could be looking at another Timmy Dreaden situation. As to how we've gotten to this point, I agree...the club should never have been in a position where Walters and Paix are our two best options at hooker but that's a different conversation. As of now Billy and Paix both have a number of deficiencies to their game but are serviceable for the time being. We just beat 2 of the competition favourites, enjoy it.

regardless of where you sit on the Bill Walters competency debate, the positive news is that we are now only down to 1 player / position to whinge about. That’s a massive improvement over the last few years where we weren’t even sure who to play in most positions because they were all struggling.

So congrats to Billy for being the final piece that eventually needs addressing.

Just a quick point in Paix too. It’s something I notice a lot with these type of debates - criticising one player isn’t a compliment to another both are flawed.

Well they have to, otherwise they're out of the team amirite?

@BroncsFan has nailed it as far as I'm concerned...we're in a holding pattern until Mozer is ready. We don't want to rush him in or we could be looking at another Timmy Dreaden situation. As to how we've gotten to this point, I agree...the club should never have been in a position where Walters and Paix are our two best options at hooker but that's a different conversation. As of now Billy and Paix both have a number of deficiencies to their game but are serviceable for the time being. We just beat 2 of the competition favourites, enjoy it.
I completely agree except for the bit about how we got in this position being a different conversation - it’s the only conversation. Wether or not Billy is all we have to me is the different conversation. I accept that in our current roster Billy and Paix are the best options we have (Smoothey is open to debate).

Riki and Kev have both seemingly improved which is great.

regardless of where you sit on the Bill Walters competency debate, the positive news is that we are now only down to 1 player / position to whinge about. That’s a massive improvement over the last few years where we weren’t even sure who to play in most positions because they were all struggling.

So congrats to Billy for being the final piece that eventually needs addressing.

Just a quick point in Paix too. It’s something I notice a lot with these type of debates - criticising one player isn’t a compliment to another both are flawed.
But when people say things (numerous times in numerous threads) such as "Paix was the difference when he came on". people are welcome to ask why, aren't they?

I completely agree except for the bit about how we got in this position being a different conversation - it’s the only conversation. Wether or not Billy is all we have to me is the different conversation. I accept that in our current roster Billy and Paix are the best options we have (Smoothey is open to debate).

I'll be interested to see what happens here tbh. I don't think he can play with us until round 11 unless elevated to the top 30. I mean if we keep winning, who gives a shit right but if the Billy/Paix combo is starting to falter it could get interesting.

But when people say things (numerous times in numerous threads) such as "Paix was the difference when he came on". people are welcome to ask why, aren't they?
I think it’s been said to death that Paix is nothing special either. The fact he goes unnoticed is actually a positive though because if you can’t stand out as good, at least just don’t stand out at all.

I have to accept that if 2 (or more) people can watch last nights game and come away with the exact opposite conclusions that we obviously just don’t understand the game in the same way. I’m confident that I have enough experience and knowledge of the sport to assume I’m right but I’m sure you feel the same. When it comes to this topic we must just be so far apart on a philosophical level that there is no point even debating it because there is no middle ground to be found between us.

I respect that you have your opinion on the matter, as do I.

He was bog average but still better than Turpin who was below bog average, who took over Macca who was also bog average. I'm just used to shit 9's, a good 9 is a hard commodity to find.

Walters is serviceable until Mozer comes of age. You'll note I was a serious critic of the previous two 9s because they had an apparent mortgage on the jersey while being shit.

The reason I don't bother hating on Walters is because he's a bit part player who does the job and isn't a long term project. It's a bit of wasted energy to rag on a bloke who we all know won't be the 9 in a years time.

Once we bought Reynolds I really didn't care who was the 7, the club identified a weakness and has a plan to fix it. What's the point of arguing what we all know? He's a stop-gap 9 until Mozer comes in, that much is apparent. Sacking him now would be undeniably bad for the team, he needs to absorb the early game while Paix comes in against tired forwards.

It is what it is, he's bog, so is Paix, so is everyone who's worn that jersey for the last decade.

Mozer is top 30. He's the other option. When Kev finally decides to drop Paix to the Q Cup to work on his advanced hookering, Mozer is next cab off the rank to partner Billy.
The reason I don't bother hating on Walters is because he's a bit part player who does the job and isn't a long term project.

He's signed for another two seasons and has played every game since he joined the club. I bother hating on him because I've seen no evidence we'll get any respite from his mediocrity.

He's not off limits at all, every thread is filled with you and McHunt repeating the same thing. People just don't agree that Paix is any better.
Thats essentially it in a nutshell......

but @McHunt and @theshed are too invested in BW hate......so they need to promote Paix, even though unless you're completely blind, you know there is no difference.

To a degree, I think conversely...some are probably giving BW a little too much latitude. His last 10 mins last night were great...the things he tried to do, worked...and he chased hard to make it work. The first half....yep, in spurts, he wasn't very good at all....because what he was trying to do didn't work.
Overall, Paix did what he had to do, better than BW......because thats all that Paix offers. he does what he has to do.
BW is looking to attack.....
We've seen what Walsh can do. If he and BW get together and work on instinctively on knowing when to run....when to be lurking as backup.....dividends will come. Even @theshed...admits BW has a football brain. With a bit of support play and a bit more confidence.......

For now, its working BW/Paix .....let's just leave it at that.

Thats essentially it in a nutshell......

but @McHunt and @theshed are too invested in BW hate......so they need to promote Paix, even though unless you're completely blind, you know there is no difference.

To a degree, I think conversely...some are probably giving BW a little too much latitude. His last 10 mins last night were great...the things he tried to do, worked...and he chased hard to make it work. The first half....yep, in spurts, he wasn't very good at all....because what he was trying to do didn't work.
Overall, Paix did what he had to do, better than BW......because thats all that Paix offers. he does what he has to do.
BW is looking to attack.....
We've seen what Walsh can do. If he and BW get together and work on instinctively on knowing when to run....when to be lurking as backup.....dividends will come. Even @theshed...admits BW has a football brain. With a bit of support play and a bit more confidence.......

For now, its working BW/Paix .....let's just leave it at that.
I actually agree with you. I think Paix does what he needs to do. I think Billy overplays his hand constantly and often doesn’t do what he needs to do but he does come up with the occasional big moment.

Given that the rest of our team is full of guys capable of the big moments, I would prefer a guy who consistently does what he needs to do than a guy who overplays his hand constantly with it coming off sometimes.

I think this is essentially what the differing in opinion comes down to. To me, one of the above options is obviously better but i guess some see it differently.

I also think it’s dishonest to say things like “invested in BW hate”. I think I’ve demonstrated on many occasions that I give credit if I think it is warranted. I’ve been very complimentary to Kev this season.

I don’t agree that Paix does what he’s supposed to and I find it hilarious that we are now cool with a player just doing the bare minimum of not fucking up because he does sweet **** all for the entire game and is tired after ten minutes. What a joke.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • Redux
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Porthoz
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Accept
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • Hurrijo
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.