PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
The blokes who started the nepotism calls are acting like they don’t have bias in this situation. That will do me, champ. Not emotional, just easy to call him out for being wrong and not having a good opinion of his own, ever.
I’ve criticised Kev, Billy, Riki, Isaako and Niu over the past 12 months.

Isaako and Niu still suck but I’ve said Kev has been great this year, and Riki was fantastic on the weekend. I even said Walters had 2 solid games this season.

No bias here big fella

I’ve criticised Kev, Billy, Riki, Isaako and Niu over the past 12 months.

Isaako and Niu still suck but I’ve said Kev has been great this year, and Riki was fantastic on the weekend. I even said Walters had 2 solid games this season.

No bias here big fella
Solid reply, 3/10

Not sure if you’re serious or not…

Why? Because they were all here before Billy and both Turpin and Kelly provided as much, if not more, than he did.

Kelly is just a pure, natural footballer too.

But they’ve all been flicked…

EDIT: on the evidence we have thus far (let’s say the last 4 seasons up to the end of season 2022), Billy is not an improvement on any one of the players that have played in the positions he plays. At best, signing him was a sideways movement. Yet he’s still here and the others have all been flicked. No one can really seem to explain that either.
I will play, Kelly is the wrong side of 32, is a divisive figure, has a drinking problem and has form for showing up in the pre-season well over-weight. Throw in the issues between him and Haas, no great surprise he would be moved on and a player like BW, who trains hard, is a positive figure within the team, a good team man and a clean skin player.

Turpin, many of the same features of Walters in terms of his attitude and being a team player. In my view a more limited player than Walters given that he has limited himself to being a tackle bot. Walter's service is better than Turpin, he has a superior running game and a better long kicking game. Same conclusion, clear to me why BW would be kept over Turpin.

He just turned 29 and has been at the club one season…

I sincerely hope for his sake his knee ligaments haven’t been “shredded” since 2012 when he was 18, so just wondering why he didn’t play NRL until 2019 when he was 25?
Hmmm, should I mention Cody Walker? And what he has done since his debut at 26.

Good to have you back lynx000.

Sadly WASSHHH is no longer a member of the forum. If you look through his post history, it should be easy to put two and two together.

I reckon a random on Twitter would know far more than an ex-international 9 about Billy.

I'd like to hear mchunts thoughts on billy? Actually what are mchunts thoughts on billy being in the team that his dad is coaching?

I'd like to hear mchunts thoughts on billy? Actually what are mchunts thoughts on billy being in the team that his dad is coaching?
I don't have any problem with Kevvie coaching his son as long as his son earns his position. I do think Billy's stranglehold on his position was contrived, rather than earned.

But he's not terrible, merely, dare I say, "good enough." And if him being "good enough" is "good enough" to keep us at the top of the table, who am I to question the mysterious ways of Kevin Walters?

Back in the real world of the corner we've been painted into, there is no other player banging the door down to take his place and one wonders how we found ourselves with no depth in that position. That was actually what I was on about. That's what I mean by contrived. All the chips were placed on Billy, who was originally signed as halves depth. I kept being told there were no other options, but we know now that was a bogus objection.

Fast forward to Billy's current form, I still think he's babysitting the final jigsaw piece, but maybe you never get to complete the final picture.

I reckon a random on Twitter would know far more than an ex-international 9 about Billy.
Uncles don't count. Also hold that thought next time you listen to Fatty waxing.

I guess it gives hope to kids out there who are watching and want an nrl career but aren’t that great.

I don't have any problem with Kevvie coaching his son as long as his son earns his position. I do think Billy's stranglehold on his position was contrived, rather than earned.

But he's not terrible, merely, dare I say, "good enough." And if him being "good enough" is "good enough" to keep us at the top of the table, who am I to question the mysterious ways of Kevin Walters?

Back in the real world of the corner we've been painted into, there is no other player banging the door down to take his place and one wonders how we found ourselves with no depth in that position. That was actually what I was on about. That's what I mean by contrived. All the chips were placed on Billy, who was originally signed as halves depth. I kept being told there were no other options, but we know now that was a bogus objection.

Fast forward to Billy's current form, I still think he's babysitting the final jigsaw piece, but maybe you never get to complete the final picture.
I like your jogsaw analogy. Many teams have won premierships without that piece. The bulldogs did without a standout half and the 2006 broncos had a journeyman half. Not too many people around will remember the fullbacks for the 92 and 93 broncos sides.
Usually the bloke filling in until that final piece is found lifts with the quality around him, making it redundant.
Im not saying a prime moser isnt necessary or wanted but have 3 of your 4 spine players being elite can win you premierships and even 2 can sometime get you there.
Billy has been fine and paix is ok but is struggling with the pace of the game at the end of stints. Not sure why?

Contrived? The full history tells the tale here. Billy turned heads and impressed us all when he played in the trials at the beginning of 2022, go back and look through the thread. He earned his place. He was picked at 5/8 in the place of an sick Reynolds to partner Kelly at the start of the season. The broncos would go on to win their first two games of the season, one of those games against grand finalists. He was then used as an interchange player with Turpin in the #9 for the next few weeks. Played a small role off the bench and his position changed again the 5/8 against the warriors when Kelly sustained his foot injury. He played 80 minutes against the Roosters at 5/8 in a very close game and if it wasn't for Joey Manu being a beast, we would have won that game. We then lose Tesi against the panthers early due to a hamstring issue.

Round 7 Jake Turpin is dropped and the Billy gets his first look at starting hooker and we go on to win the next 7 games straight for the first time in about 5 years. The Billy/Paix 40 minutes each combo was working wonderfully until Paix is injured in the raiders game doing his knee. Reynolds also busts a rib and we lose to the storm the following week with Turpin back in the team.

I think you are unnecessarily hard on Walters who until this season, had never professed to be a hooker, never done a preseason at hooker in the NRL and is only now starting to really find his feet and come up with some decent plays. All you have to do is look at the evidence to see that he has earned his start in every game he has played.

The Billy and Paix combo is serving us well and giving us good value for $$ and letting us keep all the stars around them and giving Mozer a sensible amount of time to mature.

We're a fucking good team with Billy and Paix, they're only mid-tier hookers atm but thats all we need. Meanwhile I'm seeing little improvements in each game.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a upgrade on mid 10's Macca and Turpin is cooked.

Good to have you back lynx000.

Sadly WASSHHH is no longer a member of the forum. If you look through his post history, it should be easy to put two and two together.
that's a shame, always thought they were a reasonable poster. can't view their history though?

I'd like to hear mchunts thoughts on billy?
Why GIF by Next Level Chef

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.