RUMOUR Blake Green linked with move to Brisbane Broncos to solve playmaking crisis

Can't remember the exact words used but I thought he said something more along the lines of "we have cap issues" Can't remember him saying we were actually over but I could be wrong.
“The reality of it is that when I took over the group, the club was over the salary cap leading into March 1,” Seibold said.

Well we were apparently over the cap when Seibold got here and then he signed someone on a minimum contract, meaning we weren't actually over the cap when he got here because the NRL wouldn't have allowed the signing at all

Well I mean he did release McGuire & Kahu when he first turned up.

Well we were apparently over the cap when Seibold got here and then he signed someone on a minimum contract, meaning we weren't actually over the cap when he got here because the NRL wouldn't have allowed the signing at all
You need to have 30 players so someone had to replace McGuire, Kahu etc. Signing Richie Kennar proves the exact opposite of your point.

You need to have 30 players so someone had to replace McGuire, Kahu etc. Signing Richie Kennar proves the exact opposite of your point.
So if we sign 25 players and are over the cap, the NRL will allow us to buy 5 more players just because we have to have 30?

So if we sign 25 players and are over the cap, the NRL will allow us to buy 5 more players just because we have to have 30?
No, they'd make you release McGuire and Kahu to get back under the cap, and then you'd have to buy superstars like Richie Kennar and Rhys Kennedy to make up the numbers.

We didn't have a squad of only 25, so whatever Seibold did or didn't so is completely irrelevant to that scenario.

No, they'd make you release McGuire and Kahu to get back under the cap, and then you'd have to buy superstars like Richie Kennar and Rhys Kennedy to make up the numbers.

We didn't have a squad of only 25, so whatever Seibold did or didn't so is completely irrelevant to that scenario.
Not irrelevant, it's an example.

But in that case, his wording is odd. Why would he say in June that they were over the cap leading into March 1st after he had apparently got us under the cap? If we were McGuire, Nikorima, Roberts, Kahu and Su’A over the cap why weren’t we fined and why didn’t the media dig into it? It doesn’t really make sense

Arguably as good as Bird and probably at half the price or less.

Faster, Younger, Cheaper, Smarter, Fitter.. List goes on..
[automerge]1574310122[/automerge]
I mean how many years has Bird been here now and all I've heard him say is that he's going to stop eating so much McDonalds...

Last edited:
Not irrelevant, it's an example.

But in that case, his wording is odd. Why would he say in June that they were over the cap leading into March 1st after he had apparently got us under the cap? If we were McGuire, Nikorima, Roberts, Kahu and Su’A over the cap why weren’t we fined and why didn’t the media dig into it? It doesn’t really make sense
Adding up 30 numbers to a grand total doesn't seem difficult yet teams keep screwing it up, so I can only assume there's more to NRL contracts than is commonly known. Maybe we had rep bonuses we weren't expecting or performance targets that players hit?

I'm not convinced we were over, but all our actions since strongly suggest it was true, otherwise we'd be rolling in cash by now.

Imagine looking at the Warriors halves, and coming away from that wanting Blake Green instead of CHT. Lunacy. Broncos should move to Sydney, they're dumb enough to be allowed there now.

Imagine looking at the Warriors halves, and coming away from that wanting Blake Green instead of CHT. Lunacy. Broncos should move to Sydney, they're dumb enough to be allowed there now.
Your comment makes it sound like it's an either/or situation? What makes you think CHT would be for sale?

If you're talking about Warriors Halves who might actually be for sale besides Green, Adam Keighran is your best bet.

Last edited:
Your comment makes it sound like it's an either/or situation? What makes you think CHT would be for sale?

If you're talking about Warriors Halves who might actually be for sale besides Green, Adam Keighran is your best bet.

I don't care if he's for sale or not. The sooner this club starts acting ruthless like the Roosters, the better.

CHT is pretty similar to Nikorima in terms of skillset, he's really not what we need, unless we're moving Milford on. In which case I agree that he'd be the ideal replacement.

CHT is pretty similar to Nikorima in terms of skillset, he's really not what we need, unless we're moving Milford on. In which case I agree that he'd be the ideal replacement.

I'm not saying he's what we want. I'm saying if you look at the Warriors rabble, who in their right kind comes up with Blake Green being the target.

I'm not saying he's what we want. I'm saying if you look at the Warriors rabble, who in their right kind comes up with Blake Green being the target.
I’m not 100% but I think Dean Ritchie May have written an article about it. Apologies if I am mistaken.

It makes sense on a number of fronts though:
1. He is an experienced half which we are lacking.
2. He has a good kicking game (which we are lacking).
3. He has game management skills we are lacking and can steer a team around the park.
4. It will only be a short contract which will therefore not block our young halves from coming into the team.
5. It allows Dearden and Paix to develop (and possibly spend time in the ISC) without the pressure of having to be the `half' at the broncos.
6. He is likely to be a good mentor and role model for the younger halves.
7. If it is only a one year contract, and Croft does not sign a further contract, it allows us to sign Croft in 12 months time.
8. It provides us with some coverage in our halves which are very thin with SOS being out for so long.

I mean.. I can see the reasoning for it.

I laid it out in the Player Movements thread, if we're unable to afford Croft / need to keep more funds open for Fifita, then a 1 year contract at the minimum wage for an extremely experienced Halfback with a great kicking game is pretty much the best case scenario. Won't hamper our cap moving forward, will give us some much needed direction, will be the first Halfback we've had since Wallace who can actually reliably get us repeat sets of six, is good defensively, will be good for Dearden & Paix to learn from at training, etc.

I don't see the downside.

Going CHT also says to Dearden that we think he isn't our long term option when there's no evidence that CHT will turn out the better player. Unless Seibs is planning to flick Milford then Green, who is a realistic option, is a good stop gap.

EDIT: Pretty much been said in earlier posts.

Last edited:

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • Midean
  • Gaz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Cavalo
  • IceWorks
  • FACTHUNT
  • johnny plath
  • westy316
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Matheos
  • KateBroncos1812
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Tmac
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.