PLAYER Blake Mozer

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
If Carrigan doesn't back up - which is likely - Kevvie will probably need to field three hookers again, with Smoothy at lock. But the week after, if he prefers his son over Mozer, the gloves come off.

The combination is Walters with Mozer off the bench, Smoothy provides absolutely nothing.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
And what has Smoothy done exactly to demand selection over Walters anyway?
Not giving away penalties. Can play more minutes, and rotate into the middle in a defensive role. Service is somewhat better.

The combination is Walters with Mozer off the bench, Smoothy provides absolutely nothing.
I've changed my mind about Billy offering more as utility after seeing how Smoothy and Mozer clicked together last night, with Mozer sometimes switching into first receiver. Given that Smoothy can play 80 minutes if necessary and Mozer looked comfortable handling a backup half role, Billy is the reserve now.

Sorted.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I agree with Mozer being given an extended shot now, I’m just pointing out that it isn’t just Billy who has been disappointing yet Smoothy gets a free ride because ironically, he isn’t the coach’s son.
It's because any threat to Billy's job security is conflated into an attack on his father. Dropping either of them shouldn't be controversial, but obviously one of them is.

All these insults about nepo babies go away if Kevvie can drop Billy the way he dropped Turpin, Gamble, Kelly, Milford, Croft, Paix, etc etc. If he can drop his son "to try something out." That's all it would take.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Billy has to start, he has been ok and last night was decent around the rucks.

Mozer ignited our attack with his long crisp passes to the point we need to have a better look at that, everyone looked better after Mozer came on but it had a lot to do with possession and momentum.

Loved the way he got the ball wide quickly which bought Ezra into the game and put us 1 on 1 with defenders which created quick play the balls.
He did get gassed quickly though and longer earlier minutes will see teams test his fitness by getting him at marker and forcing multiple efforts.
I'd love to see him come on around 30 mins and stay on for as long as possible after halftime to build his minutes. I think Billy plays his best this way as well.
My bet is Kevin will keep faith with the same side plus Origin players until it's mathematically impossible to make the 8 or his hand is forced.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Billy hasnt been good this year at all. He was excellent at the back end of last year, but he wasnt exactly setting the world on fire before that either. Smoothy i think has been solid but his form isnt pushing Billy out either.

Mozer has had one breakout game now and i do think people are getting carried away. He's got something to build on now though, and if the coach is being fair with the blokes who perform, he should be in the 14 shirt next game. He's earned it and he's got a real chance now of cementing his spot in the 17.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
Mozer has had one breakout game now and i do think people are getting carried away. He's got something to build on now though, and if the coach is being fair with the blokes who perform, he should be in the 14 shirt next game. He's earned it and he's got a real chance now of cementing his spot in the 17.
If we're going to have a snowballs chance in hell of retaining him, now is when we need to use him and at least give him the rest of the year to prove it. We're not winning the comp this year, that's a certainty. Let's aim for a good '25.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
He did get gassed quickly though and longer earlier minutes will see teams test his fitness by getting him at marker and forcing multiple efforts.
I didn't notice him looking fatigued. If you've watched him in Cup he does have a casual style that can look like apathy. I think he just paces himself well and stays back further from play than you're used to seeing.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
If we're going to have a snowballs chance in hell of retaining him, now is when we need to use him and at least give him the rest of the year to prove it. We're not winning the comp this year, that's a certainty. Let's aim for a good '25.
As long as he performs, i dont see why we shouldnt do what you suggest really.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
with Mozer sometimes switching into first receiver.

I talked about this a while back .
He did a bit of this in the trials . He looked like he knew what he was doing .

Also saw him play the the old Cam Smith role last night , be the mid field link between the halves .

Fatboy

Fatboy

QCup Player
Mar 8, 2008
We’re going to lose him. I have a feeling…. Hope I’m wrong.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
We’re going to lose him. I have a feeling…. Hope I’m wrong.
I guess the club is facing a paradox: if they don't play him, he might leave; if they do play him, his value might rise.

The next couple of team lists are going to very interesting.

Unread

Active Now

• JamesC
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.