Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
State your case sir.....

A

Alihaider

Apr 25, 2023
Walters for the last 5 rounds hasn’t provided much in attack or defence on the other hand mozer has had outstanding performances in q cup I think the starting should be smoothly at 9 mozer 14

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
He needs to get a lot fitter before that can happen .
He gassed after 10 -15 minutes when he got his chance a few weeks back .
I can see his skills and he is a pretty good defender . But fatigue can make you look bad ...

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
He needs to get a lot fitter before that can happen .
He gassed after 10 -15 minutes when he got his chance a few weeks back .
I can see his skills and he is a pretty good defender . But fatigue can make you look bad ...
The hooker discussion wouldn't be the slightest bit contentious if it weren't for Billy's surname. Some folk take any suggestion of demoting him as a personal attack on the coach. Which is the paradox. You can't have it both ways. It's either a level playing field in selection or it isn't.

Moving on, I don't think it should be contentious to have the opinion that Smoothy is the superior of our two regular hookers. He can play more minutes, and he seems to bring more momentum. Billy, on the other hand, has utility value as a half. If you were to run up a highlight reel, Billy probably has more. But it would be somewhat misleading.

Neither hooker screams out to be dropped. They don't generally blunder, kick out on the full, miss tackles or generally look slow in service. Neither cost us the Grand Final. They can do the job. But blowing an interchange to play Billy twice can go **** itself.

Tyson should start, Billy should play 20 minutes tops at the end.

In terms relative to other teams: fans of other clubs all know Billy (because of his surname) but few would be able to name Smoothy. Absolutely no one rates him. He is certainly not in the class of say Jeremy Marshall King, Reece Robson or Brandon Smith, who aren't exactly headed towards immortality. So if Smoothy is the better of the two, where does that rank Billy?

Which brings me back to why this subject is only contentious because of Billy's father. Not because either of these hookers are so precious we can't do without them. That Mozer isn't ready, or Paix is [your opinion goes here].

As for Mozer: he's stuck behind these two until one is injured. We've already seen how quickly Billy was rushed back, so it's safe to say he won't get a proper chance unless it's Smoothy who's out.

If I were Blake, I'd be making myself more versatile. He's already clearly the most proficient hooker we have on our books, but he can't replace Billy's utility value. I would be begging Karmichael to rotate me into another position, rather than drop me to the bench. If he's up to that, he can replace Billy. If that's even possible.

I doubt that Mozer has the speed to play in the outside backs, but if he could cover any of those positions, he would be an immediate bench selection.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
The hooker discussion wouldn't be the slightest bit contentious if it weren't for Billy's surname. Some folk take any suggestion of demoting him as a personal attack on the coach. Which is the paradox. You can't have it both ways. It's either a level playing field in selection or it isn't.

Moving on, I don't think it should be contentious to have the opinion that Smoothy is the superior of our two regular hookers. He can play more minutes, and he seems to bring more momentum. Billy, on the other hand, has utility value as a half. If you were to run up a highlight reel, Billy probably has more. But it would be somewhat misleading.

Neither hooker screams out to be dropped. They don't generally blunder, kick out on the full, miss tackles or generally look slow in service. Neither cost us the Grand Final. They can do the job. But blowing an interchange to play Billy twice can go **** itself.

Tyson should start, Billy should play 20 minutes tops at the end.

In terms relative to other teams: fans of other clubs all know Billy (because of his surname) but few would be able to name Smoothy. Absolutely no one rates him. He is certainly not in the class of say Jeremy Marshall King, Reece Robson or Brandon Smith, who aren't exactly headed towards immortality. So if Smoothy is the better of the two, where does that rank Billy?

Which brings me back to why this subject is only contentious because of Billy's father. Not because either of these hookers are so precious we can't do without them. That Mozer isn't ready, or Paix is [your opinion goes here].

As for Mozer: he's stuck behind these two until one is injured. We've already seen how quickly Billy was rushed back, so it's safe to say he won't get a proper chance unless it's Smoothy who's out.

If I were Blake, I'd be making myself more versatile. He's already clearly the most proficient hooker we have on our books, but he can't replace Billy's utility value. I would be begging Karmichael to rotate me into another position, rather than drop me to the bench. If he's up to that, he can replace Billy. If that's even possible.

I doubt that Mozer has the speed to play in the outside backs, but if he could cover any of those positions, he would be an immediate bench selection.

Next game concentrate on Billy in the first 15 minutes .
Take note of his tackling . Smoothy and Mozer can`t do the same as far as I have seen .
That is the reason Billy starts IMO .

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

I think if he has the potential to be a great hooker, he just needs to concentrate on that. Maybe its harder to make the bench currently, but you have to bet on yourself long term. If he hasn't made the jump in 2 or 3 years, then it might be time to diversify then. For now, just keep developing as a hooker.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Next game concentrate on Billy in the first 15 minutes .
Take note of his tackling . Smoothy and Mozer can`t do the same as far as I have seen .
That is the reason Billy starts IMO .
I've been pretty vocal that Billy is usually good, and sometimes very good, for the first 15 minutes or so. But is 15 minutes enough for a starting hooker?

Also, other than two weeks ago, when was the last time any other hooker got to start? I thought that was our best start in yonks.

I think if he has the potential to be a great hooker, he just needs to concentrate on that. Maybe its harder to make the bench currently, but you have to bet on yourself long term. If he hasn't made the jump in 2 or 3 years, then it might be time to diversify then. For now, just keep developing as a hooker.
I agree there's a place for a pure hooker, who does one position well, but that position isn't up for grabs. He comes off contract in a only a few months. I'm sure there's a bunch of clubs - especially his home town Titans - who'd start him now.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

Totally agree.......let him keep developing as a hooker. In the meantime, opportunity will no doubt come his way through injury to others.

If he turns out as good as we all hope....he will eventually pick himself.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
If Mozer was the second coming of Cameron Smith he would be starting already. I think he has been way overhyped by the media and fans in general. He still has some deficiencies to work on and to be honest I would rather him play decent minutes in Q Cup to work on them than 20 minutes in first grade every week. Its what Q cup is for and Kev has a pretty good track record of promoting junior development and not rushing them into the side.
Put the Billy Walters hate to the side for one moment, Kev is a winner and wants to win as much as possible and if he and the club thought Mozer was ready to start full time then he would already be in the side every week.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
If Mozer was the second coming of Cameron Smith he would be starting already. I think he has been way overhyped by the media and fans in general. He still has some deficiencies to work on and to be honest I would rather him play decent minutes in Q Cup to work on them than 20 minutes in first grade every week. Its what Q cup is for and Kev has a pretty good track record of promoting junior development and not rushing them into the side.
Put the Billy Walters hate to the side for one moment, Kev is a winner and wants to win as much as possible and if he and the club thought Mozer was ready to start full time then he would already be in the side every week.
If Mozer leaves, we always have Cameron Bukowski in the wings for when Billy retires.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Thought he out played mozer in the trial be interested to see how he progresses in the next couple years
Yes, he and Coby Black were standouts.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.