Boyd bombshell: Maroons star 'done' with rep footy

Just a quick note to say Congratulations Boyd on a wonderful career for QLD.

I don't think you can fluke nearly 30 Origin games.

Never let the state down. A smart footballer...but I do have a long memory.

I swear if some of you were in a kitchen you'd get distracted by whatever goes beep...

Just a quick note to say Congratulations Boyd on a wonderful career for QLD.

I don't think you can fluke nearly 30 Origin games.

Never let the state down. A smart footballer...but I do have a long memory.

I swear if some of you were in a kitchen you'd get distracted by whatever goes beep...

I was wondering how long it was going to take until someone posted this.

The fact that it took 4 pages is a little depressing. Rather than congratulate him on his achievements at the highest level of the game, it's turned into a bash Boyd thread.

I was wondering how long it was going to take until someone posted this.

The fact that it took 4 pages is a little depressing. Rather than congratulate him on his achievements at the highest level of the game, it's turned into a bash Boyd thread.
That's true, and coming from someone who has never rated him highly as a Fullback, he certainly deserves all the praise in the world for his NRL career. Unfortunately his form of the last year is what is in most people's minds at the moment.
Thurston, who is Thurston, is copping it left, right and centre for allegedly going a year too long.

Congrats on the 50+ games at the highest level to Darius. There is no doubt in my mind he deserved every single cap and never let his team down on each of those occasions!

I for one reckon that lot of criticism is being aimed at Boyd is maybe he's not motivating the team enough with his own performance (?), having a 'C' next to his name at the Broncos and not being like one(?) or lack of genuine 7 and that burden falling on entire team? I reckon it's more that we don't have a proper 7. We've a big flaw in our team (no proper 7) that no one in the management admits openly and do something about is something that bothers me a lot.

I could be wrong and right but it all comes down to the individual players as to what performance they are putting in week in week out. I am in work place where my job is guaranteed as long as I perform everyday without any set backs. ( I do have some set backs but, I am clever enough over come them by working hard & not repeating them). I see people being shown the door if they are non-performing for more than a week. How come the guys in the team keep their place in the side with their poor performance every game is beyond crazy to me. Nothing more than Milford performing every week excites me but, he has been playing no better than a park footballer to me & to top it off, he's being paid over $1M a season. Are we really getting any worth the money being spent on him? As for KNick, he don't deserve to be on the field for no more than 20min max as an interchange role. The role he played in 2015 will suit him perfectly.

Having waited for 2 weeks (like everyone else) for a Broncos game, I couldn't be more excited on Sunday for the Storm game and boy, I did enjoy the 1st half so very much but to witness the 2nd half was so painful.

I don't give a shit about any of our opposition teams but I simply can't take a Broncos loss. It looks like we've to deal with 3 opponents on every game day (team we play against + Media + Reffs). It's a monumental task to defy the odds & win against all 3 week in week out.

I'm so heartily sick of the braindead references to the healthy relationship Boyd has with his mentor. Fucking try and be original at least because you're certainly not being clever.

These guys are too cool to be original mate.

people blame boyd and thaiday for team problems. They blame milford and knik. They used to blame our underperforming forwards. They also blame our coach for not being "tactical" enough.
What it really comes down to is a team capable of putting consistent strategy in attack. This has little to do with darius. It doesn't matter how much a genius a tactician a coach is if the team goes off script.
Good forwards are needed and we have them. Capable backs are needed and we have them. Halves with the necessary skills are needed and we have them (two arms, legs, kick a balll more than 30 metres in a consistent direction). We have a coach that has given a simple but effective strategy. Whats missing? application.
You don't beat the storm by not playing as a team. When your forwards are tired your halves need to give them a rest. Your backs need to make those dummy half skirts. your kicks need to find touch. If your forwards are winning the battle, they need to let the backs do their job in the late tackles and not waste them with flat footed runs. Every tackle needs to have purpose in attack.
Too many times whoever was getting the ball had no idea what to do. A forward would take it flat footed. Halves would just shuffle it along.
We need team work. Thats more than darius. It needs everyone looking to a leader to show them the way: a lockyer, a walters, a lewis, a johns. A player with the confidence to be wrong, because he knows making the call is more important than not.

people blame boyd and thaiday for team problems. They blame milford and knik. They used to blame our underperforming forwards. They also blame our coach for not being "tactical" enough.
What it really comes down to is a team capable of putting consistent strategy in attack. This has little to do with darius. It doesn't matter how much a genius a tactician a coach is if the team goes off script.
Good forwards are needed and we have them. Capable backs are needed and we have them. Halves with the necessary skills are needed and we have them (two arms, legs, kick a balll more than 30 metres in a consistent direction). We have a coach that has given a simple but effective strategy. Whats missing? application.
You don't beat the storm by not playing as a team. When your forwards are tired your halves need to give them a rest. Your backs need to make those dummy half skirts. your kicks need to find touch. If your forwards are winning the battle, they need to let the backs do their job in the late tackles and not waste them with flat footed runs. Every tackle needs to have purpose in attack.
Too many times whoever was getting the ball had no idea what to do. A forward would take it flat footed. Halves would just shuffle it along.
We need team work. Thats more than darius. It needs everyone looking to a leader to show them the way: a lockyer, a walters, a lewis, a johns. A player with the confidence to be wrong, because he knows making the call is more important than not.

Your grade 8 English teacher would deadset kick your ass.

I don't think anyone is blaming Boyd for the team's woes. Why do people always try to add bits to the collective argument like this? I don't think people are blaming Boyd for the team's issues, like you say, he's part of a team. I mean, he's the top of it, he's playing like shit, so certainly he deserves some blame. But all those other positions don't matter, because we are talking about the fullback position.

That's true, and coming from someone who has never rated him highly as a Fullback, he certainly deserves all the praise in the world for his NRL career. Unfortunately his form of the last year is what is in most people's minds at the moment.
Thurston, who is Thurston, is copping it left, right and centre for allegedly going a year too long.

Congrats on the 50+ games at the highest level to Darius. There is no doubt in my mind he deserved every single cap and never let his team down on each of those occasions!
Agree 100%.

Sadly, I have to admit I’ve let my unhappiness with his recent performances overshadow giving him credit for his past performances. This is not the thread for criticising Boyd - so that’s my shortcoming.

That said, I wasn’t on the forum at the time but from what I can gather, I may have been one of the only people who thought his signing was a good one.

But the truth is, and whether people like it or not, RL is nothing more than a business now and as we all (should) know, there is very little room for sentiment in the cutthroat world of business these days.

If any one of us started underperforming at our jobs for an extended period of time I doubt we’d be afforded the same luxury of resting on past performances.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I certainly admire all his achievements in the game. But honestly, and in my opinion at least, the same applies for all the players who have achieved even just one appearance in any top level sport (NRL, AFL, Sheffield Shield etc.), as that achievement puts them in the highest echelon of their sport - something most commoners like me could only ever dream of.

But @Porthoz makes an incredibly important point that can’t be overlooked; even Thurston is copping it and he’s a future Immortal. Whether we like it or not, fans, who directly contribute toward funding sports and can be a very fickle bunch, expect nothing short of the best and I tend to agree with such expectations.

Last edited:

To the bolded, who cares? This is a Brisbane Broncos forum and we are apparently Brisbane Broncos fans. Thurston is copping it because unless you are a Cowboys supporter or he is playing for QLD, he is very unlikable. He is a protected species and a whinger so opposition supporters are taking the chance to put the boot in. Boyd is our player, our captain so surely aside of an agenda or pre-existing bias against him a thread dedicated to his representative retirement on a Broncos forum would be made up of predominantly respectful posts praising both his achievements and the humility to officially step down from further selection (whether he would be or not) for the next generation to take over.

Last edited:
To the bolded, who cares? This is a Brisbane Broncos forum and we are apparently Brisbane Broncos fans. Thurston is copping it because unless you are a Cowboys supporter or he is playing for QLD, he is very unlikable. He is a protected species and a whinger so opposition supporters are taking the chance to put the boot in. Boyd is our player, our captain so surely aside of an agenda or pre-existing bias against him a thread dedicated to his representative retirement on a Broncos forum would be made up of predominantly respectful posts praising both his achievements and the humility to officially step down from further selection (whether he would be or not) for the next generation to take over.
I am Broncos through and though, but I disagree unequivocally - Thurston would have to be one of the most admired people in the game by almost all opposition players and fans alike.

The bloke is an absolutely terrific role model.

People only dislike him because he’s such a great player and competitor. If they dislike him for any other reason (including being responsible for their team losing) they’re daft.

He's just putting some perspective in place for those complaining that some of us are criticizing Boyd, to show that it's not just Broncos fans who will rip into their players if one or all of them aren't performing. I assure you, Cowboys fans rip right into Thurston.

I am Broncos through and though, but I disagree unequivocally - Thurston would have to be one of the most admired people in the game by almost all opposition players and fans alike.

The bloke is an absolutely terrific role model.

People only dislike him because he’s such a great player and competitor. If they dislike him for any other reason (including being responsible for their team losing) they’re daft.

I hate any player who whinges to the refs as much as he does to influence them.

Last edited:
I hate any player who whinges to the refs as much as he does to influence them.
Hate is such a strong word.

Influencing the refs has helped Smith and all his teams for so long, I can’t help but wonder if you’d have the same opinion had he worn the 9 for the last 15 years here? Or Thurston worn the 7 for us similarly?

That’s not a dig, it’s a legitimate question.

He's just putting some perspective in place for those complaining that some of us are criticizing Boyd, to show that it's not just Broncos fans who will rip into their players if one or all of them aren't performing. I assure you, Cowboys fans rip right into Thurston.
I didn’t get that from the post at all sorry. If I read it wrong, my mistake @broncos4life.

Last edited:
Come on now

Against the Storm he made 133 metres (= best, most of all backs). The game before he made 130 metres (second best back, 4th best in the team).

Thurston's game has deteriorated overall, he is a shadow of the player he once was. Boyd however has just been inconsistent - he has been playing to a high level, contributing positively, doing some fantastic stuff in almost every game, just not for the full duration of games. Whenever he does even one thing that people can claim is attributed for being lazy or disinterested or physically inept, a lot of people seem to just fixate on that, and act like that's how he's been playing for the entire game and/or season.

Stop blaming the team for our poor performances.

Hate is such a strong word.

Influencing the refs has helped Smith and all his teams for so long, I can’t help but wonder if you’d have the same opinion had he worn the 9 for the last 15 years here? Or Thurston worn the 7 for us similarly?

That’s not a dig, it’s a legitimate question.

So is love.

I can't answer that, because neither of them were here, and we haven't had a captain / players who do what they do.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Dony Eliakim
  • TimWhatley
  • Battler
  • Financeguy
  • Brocko
  • Fatboy
  • MrMoore
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • Santa
  • cento
  • The Don
  • Shane Tronc
  • Evander
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • FACTHUNT
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.