Badel Warning Boyd Urged to Consider Early Retirement

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
It is simply impossible to do what you’ve suggested, particularly when you are the captain of the Brisbane Broncos and quite literally have the media asking you questions most days.

I’m not saying that’s necessarily fair, but with fame and fortune comes increased scrutiny, so it is what it is.

Indeed, even if you are just an Average Joe, if you do the mundane task of leaving your house for the day, you will see what’s going on in the media. Aside from the obvious sources you MAY be able to avoid for one day, you cannot control overhearing what others say or seeing newspapers in the lunchroom at work or at the coffee shop you go to - and that’s just in one day.

How do you think someone could do that, as well as not turn on the TV or check their text messages or emails for months on end?

His only chance; be Tom Hanks in Cast Away.
If you don't have a phone or a tv it wouldn't be difficult at all. I know a few people who don't, but they are in the minority.

Like I said before though, he can still be unaware of what's being said about him even if people ask the questions. I genuinely believe he takes no notice of anything media or social media related.

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
If you don't have a phone or a tv it wouldn't be difficult at all. I know a few people who don't, but they are in the minority.

Like I said before though, he can still be unaware of what's being said about him even if people ask the questions. I genuinely believe he takes no notice of anything media or social media related.
It's true that we have the media in our faces all the time but there's literally dozens of shows I know nothing about simply because they hold no interest for me. Similarly I know virtually nothing about the afl despite the Lions doing well, I don't even know who the coach is nor any of the players.

I agree with you Wolfie Wolfie that one can shut out many of the distractions and I believe Boyd because he is well practiced at avoiding the gibberish since his battle with mental health was joined in earnest.

I too know a couple of families without tv and limited internet who seek to shield their children for a little while longer during their early years.

Last edited:

ostin86

QCup Player
as a fan, you see a very small amount of sample of the captains requirements (i.e. game day)

I suspect that you also make the same mistake many fans make ... and that is mistaking poor form for poor leadership
C'mon now Foordy good leaders lead by example, Boyd is not capable of doing this anymore, therefore equals bad leader. Pretty simple 👍

JAHHW

NRL Player

I think we may be discussing different things, or more specifically, what he’s saying and what it means.

Being oblivious to something means you are neither aware of it, nor does it concern you.

I don’t know (and none of us can for sure) what or how much of it he actually takes in (I said as much in my earlier post when I said he may be unperturbed etc. by it) but I do know he simply can’t be unaware of it - the noise has been / is deafening.

So to say he is oblivious to it is just not true - IMO anyway.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I think we may be discussing different things, or more specifically, what he’s saying and what it means.

Being oblivious to something means you are neither aware of it, nor does it concern you.

I don’t know (and none of us can for sure) what or how much of it he actually takes in (I said as much in my earlier post when I said he may be unperturbed etc. by it) but I do know he simply can’t be unaware of it - the noise has been / is deafening.

So to say he is oblivious to it is just not true - IMO anyway.
I still think he is because he pays zero attention to it. He would be aware to a point people are saying things about him, but it doesn't have any real effect on his mindset because he pays no attention to it whatsoever. The people whose opinions matter to him are all giving him no reason to doubt himself. That more of a worry probably.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
It's true that we have the media in our faces all the time but there's literally dozens of shows I know nothing about simply because they hold no interest for me. Similarly I know virtually nothing about the afl despite the Lions doing well, I don't even know who the coach is nor any of the players.

I agree with you Wolfie Wolfie that one can shut out many of the distractions and I believe Boyd because he is well practiced at avoiding the gibberish since his battle with mental health was joined in earnest.

I too know a couple of families without tv and limited internet who seek to shield their children for a little while longer during their early years.
Exactly, I have no idea about AFL and what's going on at the Lions, except for the hilights on the news/radio, and I'm not even actively trying to avoid AFL news.

ostin86

QCup Player
I still think he is because he pays zero attention to it. He would be aware to a point people are saying things about him, but it doesn't have any real effect on his mindset because he pays no attention to it whatsoever. The people whose opinions matter to him are all giving him no reason to doubt himself. That more of a worry probably.
Geez I did not know that Boyd was that strong mentally, he has come a long way since his mental issues several years back.

Not sure if you know him personally Wolfie but what you are saying doesn't really make sense. Surely it is likely that his poor form and harassment by the media and fans would be affecting his mindset.

None of us apart from Boyd actually know what's going through his head.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Geez I did not know that Boyd was that strong mentally, he has come a long way since his mental issues several years back.

Not sure if you know him personally Wolfie but what you are saying doesn't really make sense. Surely it is likely that his poor form and harassment by the media and fans would be affecting his mindset.

None of us apart from Boyd actually know what's going through his head.
No I don't know him, and I'm basing things mainly off a few people I know who know him and him in interviews saying he reads nothing these days.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Forgive me for being a sceptic on Boyds ability to shut out all of the noise.
No worries mate. I think it would be tricky, but I suppose when you have been through what he has and the media was a trigger for you it might not be as difficult as we think.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
It really isnt that hard to isolate yourself from the news or social media.
I don't participate in social media, except bhq, and in our house we choose not to watch the news or current affairs type programs.
Often when we are out with friends someone will bring up a current story and we have no idea what they are talking about.
Darius seems to have decided to switch off even more than I have.
Try it sometime, some of you will be surprised how easy it is.

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
Which when you think about, speaks to a fairly well developed strength of character, which may be one of the reasons that the coach is supporting him.

gordjw

NRL Player
Sunny Canberra
I don't participate in social media, except bhq, and in our house we choose not to watch the news or current affairs type programs.
Often when we are out with friends someone will bring up a current story and we have no idea what they are talking about.
Absolutely this. I haven’t had a free-to-air antenna connected to my TV in years, have never had Foxtel, don’t miss either one at all.

I go to the bar or friends’ places to watch the Broncos, or listen on the radio.

I pick up the major news events from friends and co-workers, and the rest doesn’t matter.

The one I can’t give up is Twitter, it’s really good for keeping up with work stuff from around the world. But, it’s still pretty toxic and I would like to get rid of it eventually.

something

NYC Player

Out of interest, do you consider this a good trait or a bad trait?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter