NEWS Boyd Urged to Consider Early Retirement

We're like the anti-Roosters - when Boyd's here he's costing us 1.4 million a season but when he's gone he'll only free up 500k.
We have a pie and a coke free next year! Shame George rose isn't still playing.

There is a pic of him at a local burger joint where I live during his Melbourne storm days,have seen dean widders in there a couple of times too.

Imagine how good of a position the club would be in if Boyd & McCullough both moved on at the end of this season and we didn't have to pay any of their salary. That'd give us comfortably enough money to re-sign Oates and Glenn, and also extend Fifita and Staggs - And probably enough to go to market for a decent player.

The heat being on Boyd means that Macca has floated under the radar this season. Hopefully next season Macca will be pushed

The heat being on Boyd means that Macca has floated under the radar this season. Hopefully next season Macca will be pushed
Macca might be tricky, he's made a couple of left-field moves in an attempt to portray himself as absolutely vital. Has moved a couple of our young players into his house.

Macca is someone who you would think could pick up a 1-2 year contract in Superleague.

I think Macca has been good lately. He has certainly been trying to add things to his game. Isn’t that what you want to see? A player under pressure trying to get better?

There are still huge problems with his decision making and he’s too old to fix that now but credit where it is due, he has been good of late.

Still not better than Turps.

I think Macca has been good lately. He has certainly been trying to add things to his game. Isn’t that what you want to see? A player under pressure trying to get better?

There are still huge problems with his decision making and he’s too old to fix that now but credit where it is due, he has been good of late.

Still not better than Turps.
The problem is he only does it when there's competition for his spot, and no he was utter crap against Souths.

As I understand it Macca has formally exercised an option to play on in 2020.
What is the situation for 2021?
Is there another option and if so in whose favour, his or the clubs?
Are there any other conditions like Boyd ‘s play 15 games minimum to trigger another year?

The problem is he only does it when there's competition for his spot, and no he was utter crap against Souths.

As I see it it is not just Macca and his specific skill set, it is the limitations that imposes on the game plan, how the middle forwards are used, how the halves integrate with the dummy half.

A game plan built around Cook is a totally different animal to one built around Macca. Cooks skills and style of play lead to an expansive game plan with halves and forwards all working together, running in support, making the ball do the work. With Macca, it's one out shit first and making the ball do the work is an after thought.

I wonder if a more expansive game plan might force Macca to adapt and change. If not we are stuck with him and his style until he retires which I find totally limiting of the quality we have in our forward pack.

In any case a more creative, genuine 5/8 might well force Macca to re-think his game, if that is at all possible,

Last edited:
I said a few weeks ago that his future had been arranged

I wonder about that word "arranged"
Obviously I'm just being an idiot, but it did conjure up images of a mafia style hit LOL
Hopefully it's more like a good post footy career in the club :)

As I see it it is not just Macca and his specific skill set, it is the limitations that imposes on the game plan, how the middle forwards are used, how the halves integrate with the dummy half.

A game plan built around Cook is a totally different animal to one built around Macca. Cooks skills and style of play lead to an expansive game plan with halves and forwards all working together, sunning in support, making the ball do the work. With Macca, it's one out shit first and making the ball do the work is an after thought.

I wonder if a more expansive game plan might force Macca to adapt and change. If not we are stuck with him and his style until he retires which I find totally limiting of the quality we have in our forward pack.

In any case a more creative, genuine 5/8 might well force Macca to re-think his game, if that is at all possible,
This is true, if you see macca's runs from dummy half, he will run down the middle right next to the ruck, which the two defenders either side of the ruck will usually move in and make the tackle. On most occassions he doesnt have support and if he does it is usually a forward or it gets there too late to take advantage.

Cook also takes off down the middle but when the defenders either side of the ruck move to close the gap, he steps on the outside changing direction, this wrong foots a lot of the bigger players opening gaps and gets him closer to reynolds and walker as support runners. Even if this play is shut down, because the have caused gaps, it is usually a one on one tackle and they get another quick play the ball

It’s both really. He keeps playing and he’ll be under constant scrutiny because he is playing so ordinary (to put it nicely) and because it’ll cost us players it’ll compound it by a billion.

If people think it’s bad now, imagine another 12 months at least of continuing decline and we potentially lose a Fifita.

It’s not his fault we’ve done some now-costly deals, and objectively he’s well within his rights to continue accepting his paycheque for the next two seasons, but he needs to have a serious conversation with himself whether he wants to put himself through that just for (albeit a lot of) money

Thing is, if handled well, he can earn the same money or more long term, without putting himself through it

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Broncorob
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.