NEWS Boyd Urged to Consider Early Retirement

I also got this whisper this morning. My Sydney contact wont go to print with it yet as was denied by Broncos.
Did he have the backing of the board though??

If Morris comes out backing the captain to see his 2 years out then he's as good as retired 😉😉😉

I wonder what old Clint thinks about all this ?

Would he have had 'the talk' with Darius if he were still our coach ? Or would he let him play on and continue to be fodder for the media ?

Hooper now reporting the broncos will ask him to retire..

It begins... the media taking both sides of the fence.

Darius Boyd of the Broncos
Darius Boyd of the BroncosSource: AAP
The Brisbane Broncos are preparing to have a tough conversation with club legend Darius Boyd at season’s end.
Boyd has been singled out for much of the season since his shift from fullback to five-eighth and was again in the firing line after the Broncos’ loss to South Sydney in Round 23.

The issue for the Broncos is Boyd still has two years to run on his current deal and is on around $800,000 per season.
There can be no question that Boyd is a champion player who has achieved every honour possible in rugby league.

It’s a hell of an NRL resume. A premiership with the Brisbane Broncos in 2006 aged 19.
A premiership with the St George Illawarra Dragons and Clive Churchill Medal in 2010.
Then there’s 28 State of Origin matches for Queensland and 23 Test matches for Australia.
The decision for Boyd now is going to revolve around how he wants to be remembered. His legacy.

After his performance against the Rabbitohs in round 23, the Broncos fans were absolutely giving it to the Brisbane No. 6.
And you’ve only got to look at some of his raw numbers this season to get a gauge on where Boyd’s game is currently at.
In 22 games, the Broncos captain has only scored two tries. Then there’s three line breaks, six try assists, seven line break assists and 24 tackle busts.
By any measure Boyd’s performances have been average which is why the Broncos find themselves in a tough situation with their skipper.

With young guns David Fifita and Kotoni Staggs both off contract at the end of next season, the Broncos need to try and maintain the best of the brilliant talent the club is developing.
By rights, Boyd can dig his heels in and simply say he wants to play on. He can still collect his $1.6 million over the next two years.
It’s the next challenge for Broncos coach Anthony Seibold in a season where last year’s Dally M coach of the year has learned all about life at the NRL head coaching coal face.
As Broncos legend Gorden Tallis pointed out over the weekend, Brisbane’s roster is like a Formula One racing car without a driver.
What that means for club captain Boyd will all play out over the course of the next month.

firstly ... he can't spell the word Quiet

secondly ... Damn, i'm now not confident he will retire

I think he will. Thing is, are we going to ask him to retire for his benefit, or because we need the money because we have managed our cap poorly.

Last edited:
Hopefully they offer him an attractive post career deal like GI spread over multiple years. That will ease the burden.
I think that's best cause it will set him up after life. If he plays hard ball and doesn't we can just make him play reserve grade so we won't activate his clause for 2021 and then he won't have no post career. Unless he becomes Bennetts assistant coach.
Surely he knows he is not nrl standard when they watch the replay. I haven't seen him make a legitimate tackle bust or line break yet on his own.

Last edited:
I think he will. Thing is, are we going to ask him to retire for his benefit, or because we need the money because we have managed our cap poorly.

It’s both really. He keeps playing and he’ll be under constant scrutiny because he is playing so ordinary (to put it nicely) and because it’ll cost us players it’ll compound it by a billion.

If people think it’s bad now, imagine another 12 months at least of continuing decline and we potentially lose a Fifita.

It’s not his fault we’ve done some now-costly deals, and objectively he’s well within his rights to continue accepting his paycheque for the next two seasons, but he needs to have a serious conversation with himself whether he wants to put himself through that just for (albeit a lot of) money

Who is this guy?
Gerard Condon runs Reading the Play - a betting subscription service. I’m not a punter so don’t know how much of a success rate he has but he’s always on Talkin Sport on 2SM.

I said a few weeks ago that his future had been arranged

Well you must have your fingers in the right pie!

It was wildfire talk this morning down here. Either someone is talking or deliberately dropped hints, or attempting to stir the wind.

Imagine how good of a position the club would be in if Boyd & McCullough both moved on at the end of this season and we didn't have to pay any of their salary. That'd give us comfortably enough money to re-sign Oates and Glenn, and also extend Fifita and Staggs - And probably enough to go to market for a decent player.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Sproj
  • Galah
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Redux
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • Stix
  • Alec
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncos Maestro
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.