NEWS Boyd Urged to Consider Early Retirement

This is true, if you see macca's runs from dummy half, he will run down the middle right next to the ruck, which the two defenders either side of the ruck will usually move in and make the tackle. On most occassions he doesnt have support and if he does it is usually a forward or it gets there too late to take advantage.

Cook also takes off down the middle but when the defenders either side of the ruck move to close the gap, he steps on the outside changing direction, this wrong foots a lot of the bigger players opening gaps and gets him closer to reynolds and walker as support runners. Even if this play is shut down, because the have caused gaps, it is usually a one on one tackle and they get another quick play the ball

Great point. I am trying to remember when was the last time Macca changed direction to create some space and find a running support. He either shovels the ball one out or runs straight and gets tackled most of the time and whatever momentum there is simply dies.

His style of play really limits our options. Interestingly, I reckon it suits Boyd's limited skill set down to a T which then compounds our shitty small minded game plan.

Because of him (and Boyd), our main attacking option is to rely on offloads, unstructured, opportunistic plays which in turn rely on the skills of our forwards to hit and hope. Ball playing, having back rowers to hit holes in a structured shape, getting the ball out wide as do the Roosters, Raiders, Storm, Eels is just not part of our game plan, and those teams will show us up big time. They will just outscore us.

I so wish Macca would consider an early retirement as well, so this team's potential could be unlocked.

Last edited:
Anyone suggesting Macca should retire is well off the mark. Macca isn’t having the same regression issues as Boyd, in fact Macca is playing exactly as good as he has for a decade. The way he plays and his fitness level , I could see him playing at this standard until he’s 36. I could see him playing super league until he’s 40 like Menzies.
Retirement is very far off for Andrew but hopefully he’ll move to another club sooner rather than later.

Anyone suggesting Macca should retire is well off the mark. Macca isn’t having the same regression issues as Boyd, in fact Macca is playing exactly as good as he has for a decade. The way he plays and his fitness level , I could see him playing at this standard until he’s 36. I could see him playing super league until he’s 40 like Menzies.
Retirement is very far off for Andrew but hopefully he’ll move to another club sooner rather than later.

Well when you've gotten away with being bog average for as long as he has, you may as well cash in cause clearly he is untouchable.

Guys, come on. I didn't bring Macca up so he could be bashed again. Believe me, I'm with everybody else, he isn't what the team needs and is the very definition of average to very slightly above BUT he really hasn't been going that bad. The problem is though, at 9 not bad isn't good enough, you need great.

But credit where it is due, he is absolutely trying his guts out, it is just a shame he doesn't have the same natural abilities as a Smith or Cook. I also think he would be a very handy back up half, better than Turpin as a half and Boyd obviously.

Guys, come on. I didn't bring Macca up so he could be bashed again. Believe me, I'm with everybody else, he isn't what the team needs and is the very definition of average to very slightly above BUT he really hasn't been going that bad. The problem is though, at 9 not bad isn't good enough, you need great.

But credit where it is due, he is absolutely trying his guts out, it is just a shame he doesn't have the same natural abilities as a Smith or Cook. I also think he would be a very handy back up half, better than Turpin as a half and Boyd obviously.
Very fair point.

I think Macca has been good lately. He has certainly been trying to add things to his game. Isn’t that what you want to see? A player under pressure trying to get better?

There are still huge problems with his decision making and he’s too old to fix that now but credit where it is due, he has been good of late.

Still not better than Turps.

He does something decent once a month and secures his position for another month. His passing was very slow against Souths when we had quick play the balls.

I tell you who'd make a great backup half: a halfback. Not the most shithouse hooker we've ever had. But I agree with you that Macca's a great bloke.

Last edited:

well...TBF...who DOES currently have the credentials of Cook and Smith? Not just now but like the past decade or so? They are both outstanding rakes in their own right, one of them dare say is unique and cant/wont be replicated...

Macca is average; we can put up with average if we had NRL quality halves pairing...if that's the decision and direction the club wants to go i.e - keep a club legend at the 9.

This season still poses the same quandary; is the glass at the Broncos half full or half empty..?

Seems no matter what we do to address things and to place the club in a stronger position to make and influence the finals, its going to be at the expenses of cap space...at least in the short term...

This season still poses the same quandary; is the glass at the Broncos half full or half empty..?
More than half full:

Forwards: Best in class.

Hooker: Turpin, Segeyaro: better than average, room to improve. Macca: below average, end of life.

Halfback: Dearden, SOS: below average but room to improve.

Five eighth: Milford, Bird: below average. SOS: see above. Boyd: abominable, end of life.

Centres: Staggs, Bird: above average. Shiba: below average. Perese: too early to say.

Wings: Oates: best in class. Issaako: above average. Farnworth, Coates: too early to say.

Fullback: Milford: average. Boyd: abominable, end of life.

Bench: strong
Leadership: appalling.
Goal kicker: average.
Field goal kicker: below average.
Attack: below average

Defence: average
Morale: seems okay
Coach: COTY 2018

Our spine is the only issue, but it's a massive one.

Last edited:
More than half full:

Forwards: Best in class.

Hooker: Turpin, Segeyaro: better than average, room to improve. Macca: below average, end of life.

Halfback: Dearden, SOS: below average but room to improve.

Five eighth: Milford, Bird: below average. SOS: see above. Boyd: abominable, end of life.

Centres: Staggs, Bird: above average. Shiba: below average. Perese: too early to say.

Wings: Oates: best in class. Issaako: above average. Farnworth, Coates: too early to say.

Fullback: Milford: average. Boyd: abominable, end of life.

Bench: strong
Leadership: appalling.
Goal kicker: average.
Field goal kicker: below average.
Attack: below average
Defence: average
Morale: seems okay
Coach: COTY 2018
I'd need to disagree with average goal kicker. I think Isaako is above.

Considering his slow start to the year as a GK, he’s doing a pretty damn good job in that department, really. Though, we do have Staggs and Farnworth now.

Staggs has kicked at 68% (15 goals) ... Macca has kicked at 100% this year, lol

This season’s goal kicking stats. What I originally said was probably right. He’s about average:

People bagging Macca against South's clearly didn't see that Seggy was even worse, but he seems to escape criticism. Seggy has been nothing but bang average apart from one game against the roosters.

Yeah that’s the read I had a couple of weeks ago. Someone spouted some stats that painted a different picture but he’s been bog ordinary since.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.