Brisbane Broncos 2019 Round 1 predicted team

I think easing Pangai back in is key for the first month or so of the season. Gives us some bench impact and experience (despite it being fairly limited as well)

1. Boyd (so long as he’s 100%, pulls his finger out and doesn’t defend in the line all the time)
2. Oates
4. Bird
3. Jet (he always gets named at 3 right?)
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Niko/SoS
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. Mago
11. Su’A
12. Gillett
13. Joe O

14. Glenn/Staggs/Niko
15. Pangai Jr
16. Fifita
17. Haas

There’s something about Mago I like. At the very least he’ll be a good stop-gap until the kids are ready to start. Alternatively if we do start Pangai, Joe to 10, Pangai 13, Mago bench. The 14 will depend on if Niko plays half or not. If he doesn’t, I still think bench hooker is his best position.

The second row bench spot is tricky, as if the team is as above with Niko at 14, you’ve got 3 guys battling for one spot, unless you push Pangai/Offa to prop etc. I’m not his biggest fan, but this is why I’d have preferred for Glenn to leave rather than see him get dropped, Staggs is good for another year or so of cameos but I’m not against him playing constantly either, and the way Fifita came in and played it’s nearly impossible to leave him out. But they may suffer from a bit of S-Y-S so a rotation may be good for all

We’ve got Carrigan ready to go too, but it’s the same deal - despite his impressive resumé he still hasn’t played FG yet, so it’s Haas, Patty or Flegler too that are all brand new basically. Rotation there too if nothing else

People are saying Tagataese, but I just honestly cannot see what positive he can bring to that side. Experience sure, but I highly doubt he’d be able to show that being beneficial over the raw talent of the kids in the short time he’d be on the field. He’s never struck me as a player to have in a crucial period compared to a rookie

1. Darbs
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Roberts
5. Isaako
6. Milf
7. Nik or an up and coming half
8. Offa
9. Macca
10. Lodge
11. Sua
12. Gillett
13. Bird

14. Tpj
15. Haas
16. Fifita
17. Glenn/mago

Tpj on the bench for his impact and utility bring able to play anywhere in the forwards. Glenn or mago depends on the size of the opposition pack.
This is definitely the Line-up yo go for. Everything about it says impact, ball players in the right places, strong defence and good opportunities for player development. Tricky times ahead having 3 super talented 2nd towers in gillo, Fifita and Su’a. Hope we can retain them all.

Tagatese is a tough one - on the one had, we desperately do need experience, and on the other hand, he just isn't particularly good. I think he's had like one good run all of last year?

2019 will be interesting. I don't think we have what it takes to win the whole thing, largely due to so many rookies. Hopefully they show enough to give us hope for 2020 though.

Tagatese is a tough one - on the one had, we desperately do need experience, and on the other hand, he just isn't particularly good. I think he's had like one good run all of last year?

2019 will be interesting. I don't think we have what it takes to win the whole thing, largely due to so many rookies. Hopefully they show enough to give us hope for 2020 though.
I don’t think Tagataese is in our top 17. He will be handy if injuries become a problem but I wouldn’t pick him just for his experience (although I am sure his experience has been valuable off the field).
Normally I would be worried about having so many young guys but this is a special crop. I have seen a lot of Haas and Carrigan and they are different to other young forwards. They won’t take a backward step I guarantee it. Mago impressed me last season and Fifita is the best second rower I have ever seen for his age. He will only get better. Su’A and Offa have been in and around first grade for a few years and Lodge and TPJ are as good as anyone in the competition.
Gillett and Macca will need to lead from the front but I think we have a forward pack that is very capable of doing the job.

England won the series. Nikorima had a blinder in the last match against a weaker English side and if you watched the highlights by playing around the ruck like a hooker

He played well in the second game as well and the Aussie test. Game 1 in England wasn’t great but he wasn’t poor by any means.

He also played that blunder like a five-eighth, certainly not like a dummy half. Which really bores well for Brissy since Milf really is the halfback now.

1. Darbs
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Roberts
5. Isaako
6. Milf
7. Nik or an up and coming half
8. Offa
9. Macca
10. Lodge
11. Sua
12. Gillett
13. Bird

14. Tpj
15. Haas
16. Fifita
17. Glenn/mago

Tpj on the bench for his impact and utility bring able to play anywhere in the forwards. Glenn or mago depends on the size of the opposition pack.
That's honestly the best one I've seen and the one I'd go with if it was my squad.
But with a genuine half, with Kodi to come on for impact like in 15. Glenn to miss out

The biggest standout in the majority of the squads i‘ve seen posted is definitely the inexperience on the bench. Personally I can see Glenn on the bench rotating with tpj at lock and someone experienced so most likely taga or possibly Mago or savelio (acknowledging they don’t have great experience either) coming in as a middle forward along with Payne Hass. Then finally Fifita on the bench coming on for Su’a in the final 10-15 mins when our starting props are back on the field.

That makes our interchange a little less vulnerable with Glenn, Hass and probably taga on while the starting guys take a breather then when they come back on you also have a fresh Fifita coming into the game for impact. To me that’s a far better arrangement then having Hass, Fifita and Su’a coming on to replace lodge, offa and tpj. Not saying those younger guys aren’t quality players but a few rough calls and 50/50 chances go the wrong way and their inexperience could really show.
This is definitely the go! Taga and Hass as the replacement props is perfect and I could see them absolutely ripping it up and keeping the momentum going, in fact Hass would up the tempo. You're right too about experience and it's value can't be overstated. I think we will have a very strong bench this year but I agree, it won't be long on experience unless you give an old hard nut like Tagatese a run.

It's funny and no offense meant but your statement shows you didn't watch Taga at all. He got limited chances and did not let anyone down but he also made good metres, had solid defence(in fact one tackle was an absolute belter) and he had more than just one good run. I'm expecting this year he will have a better season for us largely based on his public commitment to leave nothing in the tank. He knows retirement is close and as he said, he wants to finally have a season where he is maxed out in every way, his best ever effort. We all might benefit from that.

Tags still start. I don't think it'll be any other way. I predict a Blair type career resurgence ala 15 from him

Love to see Kotoni Staggs and Jet in the centres. Would certainly give us plenty of fire power. But that would mean Bird to lock and really can't see that happening. Fullback is not an option while Darbs wants to continue so I guess Staggs will have to wait. We are blessed with so many options, would put a smile on any coaches face. Already selling tickets for trial against Titans on 2nd Mar.

Last edited:
This probably won't happen, but I'd like to see it trialled...

1- Kodi Nikorima (I really think he could emulate Matty Bowen there)
2- Corey Oates
3- James Roberts
4- Darius Boyd (he was very good when he played there imo, both defensive and offensively)
5- Jamayne Isaako
6- Jack Bird (would make our right side much more solid with Gillo in the middle, with the added bonus of getting more ball)
7- Anthony Milford
8- Matthew Lodge
9- Andrew McCullough
10- Jo Ofahengaue
11- Jaydn Su'a
12- David Fifita
13- Matt Gillett (we need a solid experienced player in the middle of the ruck, and would benefit from his ability to offload and play ball)

14- Alex Glenn (covers almost every position bar prop, and is good cover for the second row)
15- Tevita Pangai Junior (shorter powerfull stints would provide heaps of impact)
16- Payne Haas (same as TPJ, but can build him up for longer minutes as he matures)
17- Kotoni Staggs (like Glenn, can play almost any position bar prop and is good cover for the backline)

Taga, Mago, Savelio all probably could interfere with the above, but I have doubts they will, unless Seibs thinks differently.
Carrigan and Flegler will get a look in soon enough I reckon.

Kahu (hate to leave him out, but he just can't beat the starters imo) would be next in line for the backline, although Staggs and the newcomers from Yawnion may have a say about that...

Pretty stoked with our roster, taking into account our one weakness (halfback), so I really hope Milford continues to improve hsi kicking game without neglecting his running and passing game.

Last edited:
Seconds

1. Tanah Boyd
2. Fanitesi Niu
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Gehemat Shibasaki
5. Jordan Kahu
6. Thomas Deardon
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Sam Tagataese
9. Jake Turpin
10. Thomas Flegler
11. Patrick Carrigan
12. Andre Savelio
13. Patrick Mago
17. George Fai

1. Boyd 2. Oates 3. Roberts 4. Bird 5. Isaako 6. Milford 7. Nikorima
8. Ofahengaue 9. McCullough 10. Lodge 11. Su'a 12. Gillett 13. Pangai Jr
14. Glenn 15. Fifita 16. Haas 17. Staggs

Think those are Brisbane's 17 best players. Probably a prop forward short though. Think Glenn will have to play that #13 role. Leave the more dynamic Su'a and Fifita for the edges. Also not averse to Turpin on the bench to keep McCullough fresher / get more out of him in attack.

Ofahengaue is going to be shouldering a lot of the grunt this season.

Also, hope Seibold rests some of the younger forwards through the year, so they're fit and firing come (hopeful) finals.

Last edited:
Seconds

1. Tanah Boyd
2. Fanitesi Niu
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Gehemat Shibasaki
5. Jordan Kahu
6. Thomas Deardon
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Sam Tagataese
9. Jake Turpin
10. Thomas Flegler
11. Patrick Carrigan
12. Andre Savelio
13. Patrick Mago
17. George Fai

15. Myles Taueli
16. 30th man in the squad

15. Myles Taueli
16. 30th man in the squad

Given the trouble Myles has gotten into during the off season he will be lucky not to be sacked.

Last edited:
b69b0533-a855-4efa-9b66-ab600019778e-jpeg.4231

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.