Brisbane Broncos Auckland 9's Team?

• Thread starter BroncosFan_Corey
  • Start date
Canberra Raiders, he's better than Hodkinson so the Bulldogs, Cronulla Sharks, he eventually won his spot over Wallace so logically the Penrith Panthers. Oh and the Cowboys too. What about the Dragons?
Don't throw the Raiders in there, Campo, Cornish, Ahearn, Milf, McCrone and Wighton would all be ahead of him.

Campese has to be on the bloody field first.

Did you actually watch the game? Barba was running fine, fitter moved three steps to his right and tried his best to rip barbas head off.

Now of the players look like they have 'bulked up' in fact many look far leaner.

Criticism is fine but at least make it relevant

Take off those rose coloured glasses. Get a reality check whilst you're at it. Just because Barba was a superstar at another club doesn't mean he will be great at our once great club. Plenty of players have changed clubs and not lived up to the hype.

Take off those rose coloured glasses. Get a reality check whilst you're at it. Just because Barba was a superstar at another club doesn't mean he will be great at our once great club. Plenty of players have changed clubs and not lived up to the hype.

Maybe you need to put glasses on? Reality is, Freddy ran like 4 metres in the time Barba ran 15. Nobody is saying he's our savior except the media. We are expecting the whole team to step up and play their best and hoping Barba adds a spark we need.

Would like to have seen a little more of Nikorama(?)

Barba looked decent IMO, personally not expecting him to be outstanding straight away but I saw good signs. Copley looked good as did Mills. Lowrie's headgear is going to annoy the **** out of me this season. I also thought Macca played fairly well.

We're below par and I'd be surprised if we make it past the Qtr finals, but I'm certainly not going to try and predict our season based on a nines tournament.

That has nothing to do with my post. It is clear you didn't watch the game so instead of continuing the discussion you attack me instead. There is no point having a discussion with you

My concern is how we struggles to find space with only 9 on the field.
Parker was great in both games, Sam looks fitter, Glen will have a big year but we lack creativity.
Still it is only 9s

Guys, only going to say this one time in this thread.

Keep the personal stabs out of it.

Both positive and negative opinions are welcomed, but argue the point and not the person. Calling somebody a 'little bitch' or questioning somebody's perception just leads to mindless bickering and honestly, I'm tired of reading it.

With that said...

I want to start off by simply saying this - it's the Aucklund 9's game! It's meant to be entertaining and while the Broncos have fielded their strongest line-up given the circumstances, I don't think there's a lot you can take out of this competition.

I'll even expand on why for those wondering.

A few reasons

- First hit out for a team that's testing out a new spine

- The 9s favours certain type of players and with few exceptions, our squad doesn't suit that sort of format.

- How much time did the boys really spend coming up with an effective gameplan or structures that suited the 9s style of football? A week, fortnight tops? Honestly, wouldn't be surprised to hear if we only started running through the drills after last Saturday's trial and I'm perfectly fine with that.

That isn't to necessarily say that the squad gets a free pass from me either. I was concerned about our last tackle option a lot of the time - it seemed like there was a ton of second guessing and you can't afford to do that, especially at NRL level. You need to commit to the play, otherwise you just end up shooting yourself in the foot.

Now, I'm going to be interested in the Broncos response tomorrow - whether they'll stick with their conservative style of play or if they'll experiment with the side. My major problem was that I didn't like how we didn't have two wingers at opposite ends (Hoffman, Mills) and kept pushing Gillett or Barba out towards the right. I'd like to see some better organisation and would love to see Barba score a special try or two just to give us something to smile about.

I only saw our first game but I saw both Warriors games and how Tomkins used was light years different to how Barba was used. I know it's only a 9's game but if the purpose is to test out our combinations than Barba on the wing does not achieve that. At all. Unless Griffin envisions him as a winger, which would be a whole different kind of fail.

Frankly, the real question that needs to be asked IMO is why we bothered to send so many of our big names? We didn't play a very 9's type style of football and didn't look like we've had much rehearsed. Now it is just the 9's so in one sense that's understandable, but given how uncohesive our spine is I can't help but feel it was pointless to send them here.

Yeah, I was just thinking that too. It's definitely raised the fans expectations somewhat, so of course when we lose to a team that's clearly half assing it with a selection like Freddy, there is going to be disappointment.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe it has to do with our trial against the Warriors in Dunedin next week? Perhaps the idea was that, since we've got a trial out here anyways, let's fly out our best squad, let them play against NRL quality talent?

Purely just speculation on my part though.

Regular or 9's, it still evident Griffin doesn't strategise to the teams strengths.

Ari Gold mentioned the way Barba is used compared to Tomkins is spot on the mark. I don't want to see players playing out of position like last year. Even in todays games, I noticed Gillett on the wing most of the game. What was with that? You need speedsters on the wing not slow back rowers.

I also agree with Big Pete, yes its only 9's but we have the most regular first grader in our team and I would expect a better showing. The dogs fielded a second string team and didn't look like they wanted to play. It still took us 5 minutes to find room and score against them.

If Parra beat us tomorrow, it won't be a good start to the year even if its only 9s.

My concern is how we struggled to find space with only 9 on the field.
Parker was great in both games, Sam looks fitter, Glen will have a big year but we lack creativity.
Still it is only 9s

Last edited:
Well what an interesting days play. Parker and thaiday really led the way today and gilllett was also solid too. Sadly that is about where it ends. While barba and hunt were ok in game 1 we must remember it was against the bulldogs 5th grade side. The broncos really got found out against old man freddy and the chooks and when the tough got going hunt and barba went missing. I have bagged mcullough in the past but i will admit he played well today. I would suggest that everyone keeps an eye on the news over the next week or so, things are not real rosy in the club and it stems back to hoffman and now thaiday. Watch this space carefully.......

Well what an interesting days play. Parker and thaiday really led the way today and gilllett was also solid too. Sadly that is about where it ends. While barba and hunt were ok in game 1 we must remember it was against the bulldogs 5th grade side. The broncos really got found out against old man freddy and the chooks and when the tough got going hunt and barba went missing. I have bagged mcullough in the past but i will admit he played well today. I would suggest that everyone keeps an eye on the news over the next week or so, things are not real rosy in the club and it stems back to hoffman and now thaiday. Watch this space carefully.......

What are you intimating? I for one want to know exactly what you're saying, otherwise, STFU.

A simple, can you elaborate, would have been ok too

Nicely put dexter. I cant elaborate to much but if you look in the daily telegraph and courier mail this week you will find your answers.

Daily Telegraph... Courier Mail... Such reliable sources of information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • PETERN
  • sooticus
  • Fozz
  • johnny plath
  • Alec
  • Behind enemy lines
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.