Brisbane Broncos Auckland 9's Team?

• Thread starter BroncosFan_Corey
  • Start date
Why have we named 18 players when the squad size is supposed to be 16? Hopefully they drop two forwards because that team does not look like it's been tailored to the format.

I think the team looks pretty good for the 9's actually. Parker can attract 3 defenders easily and then offload to Ben Barba who then gives it to Hoffman to finish it off. Now if they do that 9 times a half then we are all good!

Everyone will say the team is too slow but I really hope that with an off season spent getting fitter under the Corvo regime instead of moulding every player to be a back rower the Broncos will be able to give this a good shot.

Good team for the 13 man game but not quick enough to win. I'm usually a positive one around here but we haven't named a good team for the 9s. Way too many slow players.. We're just going to get run around constantly.

Maybe, but on the other side, the smaller quick men are going to have their work cut out trying to stop our big men when they're charging. Either only one or two try to take them down and we get a quick PTB, or more have to get involved which will put nearly half of their entire defensive line either at marker or off-side. And hope the opposition can't hold the ball :)

Yeah what's the go with Vidot being left out? Is there more to this story cos he played well in the trial and to me he is the kind of guy that is made for nines

I'm sure Griffin wants to have some sort of strength in the Titans trial. If he's being considered for one of the outside back spots he might want him to have a run in a full 80 minute game rather than the 1/2 an hour or so he'd get in the 9s. It sounds like the 9s is more a gelling of the halves than anything else.

Wonder how many extras will fly over for the Warriors trial? Last year they spent the week in NZ for a camp from memory

The Broncos have taken the opposite approach to the Warriors ( experience V youth and speed ).

No one knows what this format will Look like for certain since the changes in the Modern game of Thirteens....past reference to Nines and Sevens have limited relevance.

Between the Warriors and the Bronco's approaches we'll find out.

NZ have gone for speed as I've said before and have based the team around the Assumption that the Nines will mean space and be similar to 7's

The old version of 9's was closer to 13's and teams who pick experienced line ups were far more likely to win.

The advantage Brisbane have is they will have a relative defensive familiarity which could prove the Winning factor.

barba won games on his own in 2012. i hope hes pumped up (im sure he will be), it could be pretty exciting stuff

Yeah we have few, but would we play them expecting success?

That depends on who from this forum you ask. A lot of people on here are under the impression our young fellas are bound to fail.

We are in the same pool as the Eels and they have named Corey Norman. Can't wait to watch that game :D

I think we have picked one of the better teams of the comp. It's pretty obvious half of the Sydney teams aren't taking it seriously.

Sharks look good.

Warriors look better. Shaun Johnson in a 9s comp...phwoar! He'll be in his element.

Interesting topic actually. If we were going for outright speed for a comp like this, what would the team list look like?

I posted this team yesterday. There's no major defensive problems but I think they'd be unstopped with the ball. I threw Thaiday in there because he was always going to be there but I'd prefer Vidot as a forward. I guess we had to name the big name players who hyped it.

Starters
Ben Barba
Elijah Alick
Stewart Mills
Josh Hoffman
Lachlan Maranta
Cameron Cullen
Jake Granville
Sam Thaiday
Alex Glenn

Reserves
Daniel Vidot
Marmin Barba
Matt Gillett
Todd Lowrie
Joe Ofahengaue
Ajuma Adams

I can't wait to see Ben Barba play for our team. The sky is the limit for us if he can get to somewhere close to his 2012 form.

so the "journalist opinion" yesterday morning on barba playing 6 appears to be completely wrong since he's been named at fullback...

It's the team named, but it's hardly the final side for every match of the competition either, I wouldn't be so quick to lock him in at 1 just yet, but that also goes both ways so who knows.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see Ben Barba play for our team. The sky is the limit for us if he can get to somewhere close to his 2012 form.
I just remember last year for the All Stars team where he scored 3 tries in such a short period and then all shit went down and his form dipped. I have no doubt he can get back to his best, I can't fucking wait to see him play for us.

Bring on round 1 please.

I have no doubt he can get back to his best, I can't fucking wait to see him play for us.

Bring on round 1 please.

We all know that Barba's form dips when he isn't happy.

All you have to do is follow the bloke on Instagram to realise he is happy as a pig in sh!t @ the broncs.

#carnthebroncs2014

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Old Mate
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  • phoenix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.