Brisbane Broncos Draw 2021

I think it's a positive..makes the boys want it more, they are going to be written off and they might just shock us all
I agree. This draw doesn't phase me at all. Either they will be good enough or shit like the last two seasons. The make up of the schedule is secondary.

I don’t remember anyone complaining about the draw when Milford was killing it under a good coach, isn’t that right ?
That maybe the sentiment, but 2017 was a horrible draw for Brisbane as well. With Ben Hunt already shaping to leave the club, it turned what should have been a legitimate shot at a premiership into making up the numbers.

2018 was supposed to be a good draw and Brisbane struggled through out the season.

2020 was originally a tough draw then upon resumption it was somehow even worse. Flogged with the four hardest games to try and help boost ratings and by the time Brisbane got to the easy teams they were shot mentally.

Last edited:
This doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things. We could have the easiest draw of all the teams and still miss the finals next year by a wide margin. Sadly it makes our second straight spoon a bigger likelihood, and if I were conspiratorial minded, I would suspect V'Landys fucking hates us and is quite happy to exert his authority to sink us. Just more arrogance within the NSWRL bubble thinking they can survive the immediate post COVID period with a struggling Broncos without doing serious damage to the comp. That might come across as arrogance itself, but that's the difference between us and them: our arrogance is based in facts, like our ratings propping up the value of the T.V deal which filters down as a net benefit to the rest of the comp, while theirs is based in resentment and incompetence.

No sporting comp in the world knows how to shoot itself in the foot for the sake of cynical agenda more than this one.

We could just get good instead of incessantly whining about the draw every single fucking year.
Let’s not act like being the best team guarantees a premiership though, not when you’re the Broncos.

2018 was supposed to be a good draw and Brisbane struggled through out the season.
We went 15/9 and 6/2 against top 8 sides
I don’t remember anyone complaining about the draw when Milford was killing it under a good coach, isn’t that right ?
I dont remember anyone actually talking about milford until you just did.

We went 15/9 and 6/2 against top 8 sides

It was a struggle though, a lot of those wins were far from convincing and a lot of those losses were disappointing.

Round 1 vs. St George - Brisbane were in the game but can't take any advantages because Thaiday was an awful pick at hooker. A combination of Oates' error and Lodge's intercept spells a long night for the Broncos.

Round 3 vs. Wests Tigers - Brisbane couldn't score a single try, win it off the boot of Isaako in a controversial penalty in golden point.

Round 4 vs. Gold Coast - Get absolutely embarrassed by the Gold Coast on Easter Sunday. One of the worst performances under Bennett.

Round 5 vs. Newcastle - Brisbane blow opportunity after opportunity allowing the Knights to hold a 15-0 lead. Brisbane cut the deficit late, but it should never have been a loss.

Round 9 vs. Bulldogs - One of the least convincing wins I can remember. Brisbane give up two tries through their own sheer incompetence and one of the real signs that Darius is completely out of his depth. In the end, Darbs milks a penalty to win a game that should never have been so close.

Round 10 vs. Manly - Smashed by a Manly side that couldn't get along. Brisbane put on some late points, but like the Knights game they couldn't get into it.

Round 16 vs. Canberra - They played just as poorly as they did against the Gold Coast in the first half and were absolutely diabolical. Fortunately they played the Raiders who went off the boil big time and Brisbane were able to struggle out a victory.

Round 18 vs. Warriors - Oates blows an early try and Brisbane get creamed against a Warriors side that was beginning to run out of juice. A very lethargic nothing doing performance.

Round 21 vs. Bulldogs - Brisbane get absolutely smashed by an awful Bulldogs outfit. Kahu gets shown up on the wing, Pangai gets snapped by Lewis and Boyd bombs an easy try. BHQ goes into meltdown.

Finals Week 1 vs. Dragons - Embarrassing, what a waste.

That's not even taking into account the close wins that could have easily gone the other way. I'll pay wins like Round 2 vs. Cowboys, Round 8 vs. Souths, Round 11 vs. Sydney, Round 15 vs. Cronulla and Round 20 vs. Cronulla but they rarely produced the type of efforts like they did against the Roosters in Round 24 or Panthers in Round 19, it was always a struggle. Even against a depleted South Sydney line-up in Round 23, Souths almost chased Brisbane down after Brisbane had a big lead.

I'm not even counting the games against Melbourne, although Brisbane gave themselves chances to win and lost it through their own incompetence (and some questionable reffing, Cummins in particular down in Melbourne...)

Last edited:
It was a struggle though, a lot of those wins were far from convincing and a lot of those losses were disappointing.

Round 1 vs. St George - Brisbane were in the game but can't take any advantages because Thaiday was an awful pick at hooker. A combination of Oates' error and Lodge's intercept spells a long night for the Broncos.

Round 3 vs. Wests Tigers - Brisbane couldn't score a single try, win it off the boot of Isaako in a controversial penalty in golden point.

Round 4 vs. Gold Coast - Get absolutely embarrassed by the Gold Coast on Easter Sunday. One of the worst performances under Bennett.

Round 5 vs. Newcastle - Brisbane blow opportunity after opportunity allowing the Knights to hold a 15-0 lead. Brisbane cut the deficit late, but it should never have been a loss.

Round 9 vs. Bulldogs - One of the least convincing wins I can remember. Brisbane give up two tries through their own sheer incompetence and one of the real signs that Darius is completely out of his depth. In the end, Darbs milks a penalty to win a game that should never have been so close.

Round 10 vs. Manly - Smashed by a Manly side that couldn't get along. Brisbane put on some late points, but like the Knights game they couldn't get into it.

Round 16 vs. Canberra - They played just as poorly as they did against the Gold Coast in the first half and were absolutely diabolical. Fortunately they played the Raiders who went off the boil big time and Brisbane were able to struggle out a victory.

Round 18 vs. Warriors - Oates blows an early try and Brisbane get creamed against a Warriors side that was beginning to run out of juice. A very lethargic nothing doing performance.

Round 21 vs. Bulldogs - Brisbane get absolutely smashed by an awful Bulldogs outfit. Kahu gets shown up on the wing, Pangai gets snapped by Lewis and Boyd bombs an easy try. BHQ goes into meltdown.

Finals Week 1 vs. Dragons - Embarrassing, what a waste.

That's not even taking into account the close wins that could have easily gone the other way. I'll pay wins like Round 2 vs. Cowboys, Round 8 vs. Souths, Round 11 vs. Sydney, Round 15 vs. Cronulla and Round 20 vs. Cronulla but they rarely produced the type of efforts like they did against the Roosters in Round 24 or Panthers in Round 19, it was always a struggle. Even against a depleted South Sydney line-up in Round 23, Souths almost chased Brisbane down after Brisbane had a big lead.

I'm not even counting the games against Melbourne, although Brisbane gave themselves chances to win and lost it through their own incompetence (and some questionable reffing, Cummins in particular down in Melbourne...)
I cannot wait to see the response, if any, to this.

I cannot wait to see the response, if any, to this.
While appreciate the effort he went to, fact remains we were one win from the top of the ladder and were as good if not better than the majority of the top 4 sides that season which doesnt really indicate a side that was struggling.

While appreciate the effort he went to, fact remains we were one win from the top of the ladder and were as good if not better than the majority of the top 4 sides that season which doesnt really indicate a side that was struggling.
As expected, you didn’t disappoint.

What it shows is that results can be deceptive and performances have to be taken into account. Brisbane struggled to get a lot of those wins, even against sub-par opposition.

Brisbane's capitulation in Week 1 was not surprising at all.

geez that west tigers game was one of the worst i'd ever seen and we sucked out hard on it.

What does that even mean? He picked apart our losses without any reference to our wins (which we had far more of). Really balanced post.
You don’t even need to read past the first sentence of @Big Pete post to understand what he meant:

“It was a struggle though, a lot of those wins were far from convincing and a lot of those losses were disappointing.”

BP suggested Brisbane struggled in 2018. Yet, through (what surely can’t be denied at this point) your Bennett / Milford POTY rose coloured glasses, you declared that wasn’t a fair reflection of our season, citing our 2018 W/L record as evidence.

BP then provided a detailed (and, I personally think, pretty measured) explanation as to why that wasn’t a true reflection of the season. (Which, as an aside, I think most would agree with, as anyone who watched season 2018 could see we were far from a consistent team, let alone a likely contender.)

Then, in very predictable fashion, you refused to acknowledge, let alone consider, that perhaps BP’s analysis of 2018 may hold some truths.

So what does my post mean? It means that, as per what has come to be expected, your response was very predictable. Indeed, I imagine any number of posters could have had a go at guessing what your reply would be and have gone pretty damn close to getting it right.

Last edited:
Wow we were a struggling bunch at 15/9...tsk tsk tsk, god help BHQ. Sometimes I think @broncsgoat is the only sane one here 😆

Last edited:

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.