NEWS Brisbane chairman Karl Morris: 2019 unsatisfactory on every level

Of course we did, he had a win ratio of 59% and we got to the Preliminary final that year...

No-one would be saying diddly squat about Seibold if we had achieved that last year, except we came absolutely nowhere near it.

Hence the noise...

I think if you’re going to compare Seibs’ tenure to Henjaks you also have to take into account what sort of shape the club was in when they took over as well.

I think if you’re going to compare Seibs’ tenure to Henjaks you also have to take into account what sort of shape the club was in when they took over as well.

Fair enough, so if we ‘significantly changed the team’ according to Karl Morris, but not so significantly as to replace actual players because the same ones that were the problem last year, are still there this year, obviously the same approach has occurred with a board that has presided over such performance?

Because nothing has happened to them either...

“We have made significant changes to the team”

Oh really Karl? Care to elaborate on that?

Darius is still in the 17
Macca is still in the 17
We still don’t have a fullback
We have no depth in the hooker position
Kahu is back and in rehab
Bird injured for the season again

Looks more of the same to me. When we go 1/5 to start the season you had better hope you have a big marquee signing in the works otherwise the negativity will be at an all time high and the fans will be sharpening the knives

Ah-huh...

Henjak had a 56% win ratio with the Broncs and was given the arse.

Seibold has a 44% win ratio and is still here.

Interesting definition of ‘not tolerating’ mediocrity...

let's compare that win percentage after equal seasons (i.e. 2)

you also forgot to mention that Henjak missed the finals (with a team that had Locky in it, among other seasoned stars) ... Seibs hasn't

Macca is still in the 17

Looks more of the same to me. When we go 1/5 to start the season you had better hope you have a big marquee signing in the works otherwise the negativity will be at an all time high and the fans will be sharpening the knives

Pretty much. Nothing of note happened between the Parra smashing and today except signing Croft and retiring Gillett. That's a net gain of 0 players of note lol

Last edited:
Pretty much. Nothing of note happened between the Parra smashing and today except signing Croft and retiring Gillett. That's a net gain of 0 players of note lol

That’s what has really pissed me off about this whole situation. After that Parra embarrassment we were told we were going to see the mother of all dressing downs and how this was going to be the catalyst that makes the changes this side has desperately needed.

Yet Matt Gillett was the only card to fall and that was on his own accord. If he hadn’t of medically retired you can guarantee that the club would still be playing him week to week to try and get something out of him because of our lack of experience and leaders and be another burden we were still stuck with for another year. So you can’t even give the club credit for Gillett pulling the pin.

Croft was an astute signing but even then we nearly didn’t get him because we were fucking haggling with Melbourne over his salary which isn’t even that high to begin with. If Melbourne weren’t desperate to upgrade Papenhuyzen and free up funds we were never going to get Croft. That signing fell into our laps and was more a desperation signing than a calculated one. So again you can’t even give the club a lot of credit for that.

Literally the only calculated change they made proactively in the aftermath was stripping Darius of the captaincy but even a 6 year old could have figured that one out. But now we find ourselves in this peculiar position of having a 20 year old in his second NRL season as co captain for a Round 1 opener.

I saw through the bullshit early and have intentionally not bought into any of this recycled pre season garbage of how fit the players are looking. They’ve played the card one too many times and I will purely be judging the team on what I see on the field as everyone else should be. Until I see improvement and a sense of direction I won’t be attending any live games or purchasing any memberships. I’m sick of the club taking the fans for fucking fools.

I don’t expect us to win every game and I know we are short on troops, but one thing I’m going to do this year is not accept any excuse under any circumstances. Going to sound entitled here but I don’t think it’s wrong to expect a one team town with the resources and talent that the Broncos have to play well in more than 3 fucking games in a 24 game season. Only the Cowboys, Roosters and Souths home games I feel we actually played any decent football. Every other game was dreadful to watch. Although I’ll give them a pass for the Sharks away game considering the team we put out that day and the heart we showed at least made that game enjoyable even though it was scrappy.

If they truly want us to buy into this so called changing of the guard, they should be right now preparing and identifying who they need to recruit to make this team a challenger for 2021 and beyond. Boyd is retiring, Kahu will be off the books. They also should be finding a new home for McCullough. And depending on how Milford fares this season, I’d be also offering him a reduced contract that better reflects his value or show him the door.

Rip the babd aid clean off and start again. We have the foundations of a good side. All that is missing is some good coaching and structures as well as some decent signings in key areas. Get rid of the players above and they should be able to start rectifying the problem.

We have no excuses. We should be able to build a team around a young and upcoming forward pack with Haas, Fifita, TPJ, Carrigan, Flegler and Lodge well into the future. If Bird somehow comes back from this set back and stays at centre, we have a decent centre combo with him and Staggs. We have some great outside backs come by through and we still have Oates. Just need a fullback and another hooker unless Turpin develops into a top tier 9.

I think there's this illusion you need top tier players in every position. You don't. We have enough. A good half, good forwards, a solid backline is all you need in terms of players.
What we need and are missing is a solid defence, strategic finishing of sets (please say croft is the answer there), and most of all a game plan that accentuates our strengths and depending on its structure exposes our opponents' weaknesses. We haven't played round 1 so I have this faint hope (getting fainter every day) that all that is waiting for the whistle to kick off our season.
Without those last things, it does matter if we have Lockyer, cam smith and langer playing in their prime.

Macca is still in the 17

Give the guy a break. We have cleared out some pretty average contracts, finally got a half, about to make or break Milf and finally get our cap in order next year. Our cap was absolutely stuffed at the start of last season.

Macca and Paix are the backup and depth hookers for Turps.
Kahu was a WB special contract
Boyd was a WB special contract
Bird of Glass was a WB special signing.
We have plenty of young great backs coming through the ranks.

We are actually lucky that right now considering Lodge, Glenn and Bird are injured that we have Boyd and Macca in the squad as we literally would be totally stuffed.

Last edited:
But now we find ourselves in this peculiar position of having a 20 year old in his second NRL season as co captain for a Round 1 opener.

Who is the 20 year old co-captain? Carrigan is 22 and Croft is 23 in July.

Who is the 20 year old co-captain? Carrigan is 22 and Croft is 23 in July.

My bad I was getting Carrigan’s age confused with Haas.

As much as I rate Carrigan and think he is the future captain of the club, it’s a big ask giving him the C in his 3rd ever game as a starting player

My bad I was getting Carrigan’s age confused with Haas.

As much as I rate Carrigan and think he is the future captain of the club, it’s a big ask giving him the C in his 3rd ever game as a starting player
Some people are just born for it, it’s not like he hasn’t captained big games before.

Give the guy a break. We have cleared out some pretty average contracts, finally got a half, about to make or break Milf and finally get our cap in order next year. Our cap was absolutely stuffed at the start of last season.

Macca and Paix are the backup and depth hookers for Turps.
Kahu was a WB special contract
Boyd was a WB special contract
Bird of Glass was a WB special signing.
We have plenty of young great backs coming through the ranks.

We are actually lucky that right now considering Lodge, Glenn and Bird are injured that we have Boyd and Macca in the squad as we literally would be totally stuffed.

Bennett had very little to do with the financial side of the contracts. His role was mainly convincing the players he wanted to keep to sign up. Player agents have clearly outsmarted lanigan and White.

Bennett had very little to do with the financial side of the contracts. His role was mainly convincing the players he wanted to keep to sign up. Player agents have clearly outsmarted lanigan and White.

the way i look at it ... while people are still giving Bennett credit for the Haas deal, i'll still blame him for the Macca and Boyd deals.

the way i look at it ... while people are still giving Bennett credit for the Haas deal, i'll still blame him for the Macca and Boyd deals.

It's a fair point mate. No doubt Wayne is a big attraction to some players to play under him. He just doesn't have the power people think he did. It's more his reputation that gets people to play for him

It's a fair point mate. No doubt Wayne is a big attraction to some players to play under him. He just doesn't have the power people think he did. It's more his reputation that gets people to play for him

Really? Waynes reputation and history says differently in my eyes.

Just because you can get someone to play for your team, doesn't mean you should.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • Brocko
  • broncs30
  • Maddy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Alec
  • Broncorob
  • Santa
  • jd87
  • Allo
  • Strop
  • Financeguy
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.