NEWS Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold is optimistic about Broncos’ future

Did you feel personally attacked by my post?

It is a fact - you called out people for 'scapegoating' Boyd and Macca every chance you had. That's not an insult.

Boyd is the captain. Shit attitude, shit results. Might be a connection? He gets held to a higher standard than even, gasp, million dollar milford! Fuckin' A.

Milf was pretty bad overall this year. That's down to him. He could have, and should have been much better.

But my point proves itself doesn't it? What positions did Milf play this year? Was Boyd moved to six because it would improve the team or cause less damage to it?

Macca taking the wrong option more than 50% of the time? I'd bank on that. Contributed to us losing a GF, and many games since.

Milf cleaning up constantly after Boyd? Go watch replays from this year and last, see how many times Boyd is out of position but Milf is having a go.

Wayne gave him the best kicking lol? So it took him three years to identify and sort out? What a master.

All this to say, I hope Milf gets it right next year. If he goes, I will accept that too. There were many times he looked like the only bloke out there who gave a shit. Maybe he's jaded, I don't know. I hope not. If he goes, Boyd and Macca sure as **** better follow.
No, but what’s the point of having a conversation if you’re just going to bring up old shit.That’s how this place used to work. If you need to repeat yourself 408 times then maybe you don’t have that good of a point to begin with. Enjoy your anti-Boyd, Macca and Bennett circle jerk. I’ll go back to talking about Milford maybe going to the Tigers.

Let's just put this to bed, am I correct in saying that your 2 main gripes with people on here in regards to player criticism is 1) Discussing it in multiple threads / repeating their opinion and 2) Not sharing the blame with other members of the team who under-perform just as much as the likes of Boyd & McCullough (previously Hunt)?

In regards to 1) I don't know why you have such a problem with this, if people feel like the performances of any player on the team warrant discussing in any post-game thread and any discussion thread in the Broncos sub-forum, that's completely up to them, we give people the right to share their opinion as many times as they want, as long as it's not specifically to get a reaction out of people (not naming names, but you know who).

In regards to 2) I don't agree with this part. There's no question that the more experienced members of the team are held to a higher calibre of performance, which is why the likes of Boyd & McCullough are the first and foremost to be blamed when things go south. And yes, there's probably been times where they've been blamed even if they weren't in our worst bunch of players. But with that being said, almost everyone on the team gets criticised at different points, Milford has copped it this year more than ever, plenty of people wanted Isaako playing QCUP earlier in the season, TPJ received almost as much criticism as anyone on the team this season because of his discipline and defensive efforts, Oates was copping it left and right post-Origin, nearly everyone has been against Ofahengaue since he re-signed.

My opinion is that you're just taking things personal that aren't personal. People are going to continue to criticise the under-performing players until they're either performing at an adequate level or they're no longer on the team, that's part and parcel of being on a Rugby League forum. If you feel that certain players deserve more criticism, criticise them. I think you'll find people would be more receptive to you giving negative feedback on the under-performing players than psuedo-defending players like Boyd & McCullough when they're also under-performing.
Basically just point 1. Certain people have been punished in the past for it and lately it seems like this place is a free for all. 2020 will be his 7th season. He’s a senior player, million dollar player and half for the Broncos. Yeah all those people haven’t been criticised in every single thread this year like Boyd and McCullough have been. It’s just shit to be involved in a forum that repeats the same thing over and over. The fact that it was allowed in the Gillett retirement thread says all you need to know about where this forum is headed.

Basically just point 1. Certain people have been punished in the past for it and lately it seems like this place is a free for all. 2020 will be his 7th season. He’s a senior player, million dollar player and half for the Broncos. Yeah all those people haven’t been criticised in every single thread this year like Boyd and McCullough have been. It’s just shit to be involved in a forum that repeats the same thing over and over. The fact that it was allowed in the Gillett retirement thread says all you need to know about where this forum is headed.
+1 for me on this, could not agree more.

Certain people have been punished in the past for it and lately it seems like this place is a free for all.

We deal in reports, if something is reported or any of us see it and report it, we deal with it on a case-to-case basis. If you think we haven't warned and aren't keeping a very close eye on certain individuals, you're mistaken, but we shan't discuss moderation in public.

2020 will be his 7th season. He’s a senior player, million dollar player and half for the Broncos.

I agree, I wouldn't be kicking stones if he were moved on, much like the rest of the under-performing players at the club.

Yeah all those people haven’t been criticised in every single thread this year like Boyd and McCullough have been.

Every thread? Nah.. They're certainly discussed at a more frequent rate in a negative context across more threads than the likes of Milford & such, but that's just life ay. If you think someone is breaking the rules by bringing up Boyd and/or McCullough in a non-relevant thread, report it, and we'll deal with it, it's that simple. We routinely clean up threads and move posts to the more appropriate discussion when we see things that our out of place, unfortunately we can't sift through every post each day and cross-reference it with the context of the discussion and so forth, so, reports are helpful.

It’s just shit to be involved in a forum that repeats the same thing over and over.

Unfortunately that's what most sporting forums are. I believe you were once criticised for something along those lines, no? You can understand that sometimes things bear repeating, especially when the same players are doing the same things every single week..

The fact that it was allowed in the Gillett retirement thread says all you need to know about where this forum is headed.

What was allowed in there? The only reports that we received from that thread were about some personal stuff, which was dealt with, and to move the "Best Broncos team" type of discussion in to a separate thread, which we did.

We deal in reports, if something is reported or any of us see it and report it, we deal with it on a case-to-case basis. If you think we haven't warned and aren't keeping a very close eye on certain individuals, you're mistaken, but we shan't discuss moderation in public.

I agree, I wouldn't be kicking stones if he were moved on, much like the rest of the under-performing players at the club.

Every thread? Nah.. They're certainly discussed at a more frequent rate in a negative context across more threads than the likes of Milford & such, but that's just life ay. If you think someone is breaking the rules by bringing up Boyd and/or McCullough in a non-relevant thread, report it, and we'll deal with it, it's that simple. We routinely clean up threads and move posts to the more appropriate discussion when we see things that our out of place, unfortunately we can't sift through every post each day and cross-reference it with the context of the discussion and so forth, so, reports are helpful.

Unfortunately that's what most sporting forums are. I believe you were once criticised for something along those lines, no? You can understand that sometimes things bear repeating, especially when the same players are doing the same things every single week..

What was allowed in there? The only reports that we received from that thread were about some personal stuff, which was dealt with, and to move the "Best Broncos team" type of discussion in to a separate thread, which we did.
Well said.

This is the internet, after all, and the moderators really can’t helicopter over the entire forum. A certain level of accountability must be expected of all members whereby people either report a post if they feel wronged by it or put up with what they maybe don’t like.

I for one still really enjoy reading this forum and with that, considering a raft of opinions that often don’t align with my own. I also recognise that, after such a bog-average year, tensions are high and emotions still very raw - hence the angst and infighting. Goes with the territory really.

Winners are grinners, and we haven’t won SFA for far too long.

Hopefully 2020 brings a change to that!

Oh. So in neither position was it Boyd's fault. Right.

I've made this point before, and confirmed it by watching 2018-2019 games on Kayo. Milf was constantly cleaning up messes that Boyd at fullback ought to have cleaned up.

Not saying Milford doesn't have his deficiencies - but it's basically beyond argument that he was covering for Boyd far too much. Stretched too thin, so to speak. You've made the silly argument time and time again, basically coming off as an apologist, for Boyd's poor efforts. No one buys it.
No where did I make apology for Boyd's poor form. You reason like a child.

Due to your simplistic reasoning you present my view as though I've argued it is either one or the other of two possibilities. I do no such thing.

Both Boyd and Milford were poor over the past season. The Broncos were soft through the middle and Milford was a substantial part if that. Boyd had to do his best to cover that deficiency and was found wanting. Milford was supposed to do his bit and was equally as poor.

After the role swap the only improvement was a slight gain in defence with Boyd being better in that aspect. Milford did not improve our defence in the fullback role. Boyd did not improve our attack either. The Broncos as a whole were terrible as a whole.

Seibold didn't appear to change anything from the previous few years. Boyd wasn't solely responsible for our bad showing and not casting a critical eye over all the players is plainly stupid. There were only four or five who can hold their heads up. Haas, Turpin, Glenn, Staggs and Lodge. Dearden, Fifita and SOS can also be forgiven. That said all bar Haas need to be better. Boyd was poor and McCullough was bog average.

Due to your simplistic reasoning you present my view as though I've argued it is either one or the other of two possibilities. I do no such thing.

Both Boyd and Milford were poor over the past season. The Broncos were soft through the middle and Milford was a substantial part if that. Boyd had to do his best to cover that deficiency and was found wanting. Milford was supposed to do his bit and was equally as poor.

After the role swap the only improvement was a slight gain in defence with Boyd being better in that aspect. Milford did not improve our defence in the fullback role. Boyd did not improve our attack either. The Broncos as a whole were terrible as a whole.

Seibold didn't appear to change anything from the previous few years. Boyd wasn't solely responsible for our bad showing and not casting a critical eye over all the players is plainly stupid. There were only four or five who can hold their heads up. Haas, Turpin, Glenn, Staggs and Lodge. Dearden, Fifita and SOS can also be forgiven. That said all bar Haas need to be better. Boyd was poor and McCullough was bog average.

Milford was not equally as poor - he actually put his body on the line to try and stop points. I agree Milf was poor this season, has his deficiencies - but it's also fair to say he was shouldering a lot more on field pressure than Boyd, and because of Boyd.

On the whole, Milford's game is suffering the most for inconsistency and lack of quality in the spine, which in turn affects the rest of the team. Put a better seven and nine next to him, and he plays much better. We saw that this season.

That's my two cents. Moving on.

Agree with just about all of this, but...

I feel Milford was an improvement over Boyd in defence at FB. I’m not saying he was great, but I feel he was easily better than Boyd.

Granted, Milford may have been out of position at times, but his attitude to defence and willingness to put his body between the defenders and the try line was far better than Boyd.

Otherwise you’ve pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Team was ordinary, most players were as well. Switching players around didn’t yield any benefits. Thankfully, the 2019 horror show is over.

Milford was not equally as poor - he actually put his body on the line to try and stop points. I agree Milf was poor this season, has his deficiencies - but it's also fair to say he was shouldering a lot more on field pressure than Boyd, and because of Boyd.

On the whole, Milford's game is suffering the most for inconsistency and lack of quality in the spine, which in turn affects the rest of the team. Put a better seven and nine next to him, and he plays much better. We saw that this season.

That's my two cents. Moving on.
Look, fair enough to have an opinion but I don't believe you're being as objective as you could be. Boyd was playing fullback and Milford was further forward so for half the season he was defending poorly (he wasn't alone) and allowing players to stream through. Boyd had more to contend with than most other fullbacks. Boyd could have been better but claims that he didn't put his body on the line or he was scared or a coward are not accurate.

I saw him make some absolute bell ringers during the season but it certainly was a mixed bag and he could and should have done better. It just seems as though people only remember poor efforts and act as though Boyd wasn't good or at least first grade standard for most of the year. After shifting to 5/8 his defence was pretty good but his attack, well that was crap.

I feel Milford was an improvement over Boyd in defence at FB. I’m not saying he was great, but I feel he was easily better than Boyd.

Granted, Milford may have been out of position at times, but his attitude to defence and willingness to put his body between the defenders and the try line was far better than Boyd.

Team was ordinary, most players were as well. Switching players around didn’t yield any benefits. Thankfully, the 2019 horror show is over.
You may be right about the defence. How about this for consideration then. When Boyd was out back Milford and co were letting a fair bit through with poor tackling and reading so Boyd had a lot to organise and contend with.

When Boyd swapped he was first contact, up front and putting his body 'on the line'. No one could fairly say he didn't commit in defence and therefore Milford had LESS to contend with and fewer occasions on which to look ordinary.

It's just worth considering. I'm not saying Boyd did well but I do think the swap improved the midfield defence but not the attack. I don't believe Milford was much of an improvement over Boyd defensively as a fullback but I could easily be wrong about that. I do agree Boyd needs improvement but he seems the focus and the vitriolic (not yours!) comments far too much.

No, but what’s the point of having a conversation if you’re just going to bring up old shit.That’s how this place used to work. If you need to repeat yourself 408 times then maybe you don’t have that good of a point to begin with. Enjoy your anti-Boyd, Macca and Bennett circle jerk. I’ll go back to talking about Milford maybe going to the Tigers.
Even you have to admit Boyd and Macca stinking up the spine is what's made this entire forum so unhappy. And not just us: it's the theme of every news story about the Broncos.

Next off the rank is Milford's failure to live up to the high expectations we had of him when he became the club's highest paid player. He's not even in the conversation for being captain. That says it all.

Then there's the dysfunctional back line, which includes the wildly inconsistent Isaako, the wildly overpaid and underused Bird, the wildly butterfingered Oates, and the wildly underwhelming Shibasaki.

Until we our playmaking brains trust has been completely overhauled and our speedsters are striking on all cylinders, we're all going to be hammering the same issues.

This is THE conversation we have to have. If you can't handle that, you should take the off season, off.

Even you have to admit Boyd and Macca stinking up the spine is what's made this entire forum so unhappy. And not just us: it's the theme of every news story about the Broncos.

Next off the rank is Milford's failure to live up to the high expectations we had of him when he became the club's highest paid player. He's not even in the conversation for being captain. That says it all.

Then there's the dysfunctional back line, which includes the wildly inconsistent Isaako, the wildly overpaid and underused Bird, the wildly butterfingered Oates, and the wildly underwhelming Shibasaki.

Until we our playmaking brains trust has been completely overhauled and our speedsters are striking on all cylinders, we're all going to be hammering the same issues.

This is THE conversation we have to have. If you can't handle that, you should take the off season, off.
It's been admitted already, why would I keep having to admit it? Saying it numerous times isn't going to fix anything and making jokes someone else has already made about it doesn't make it any more funny. We know where everyone stands now, including myself hopefully? Being the off season shouldn't mean this place falls into shitty habits. It's gone further than that one person talking about Seibold because there's like 10 people who do the same thing. Talk about fucking zzz, this topic has been done to death.

What speedsters?
That would be Payne Haas.
[automerge]1572999969[/automerge]
It's been admitted already, why would I keep having to admit it? Saying it numerous times isn't going to fix anything and making jokes someone else has already made about it doesn't make it any more funny. We know where everyone stands now, including myself hopefully? Being the off season shouldn't mean this place falls into shitty habits. It's gone further than that one person talking about Seibold because there's like 10 people who do the same thing. Talk about fucking zzz, this topic has been done to death.
Did you turn out the light when you left the Macca fanclub?

Last edited:

He was a huge improvement in defence at the back to Boyd. He showed desperation and speed to recover a lot of kicks and made several one on one saves.

You may be right about the defence. How about this for consideration then. When Boyd was out back Milford and co were letting a fair bit through with poor tackling and reading so Boyd had a lot to organise and contend with.

When Boyd swapped he was first contact, up front and putting his body 'on the line'. No one could fairly say he didn't commit in defence and therefore Milford had LESS to contend with and fewer occasions on which to look ordinary.

It's just worth considering. I'm not saying Boyd did well but I do think the swap improved the midfield defence but not the attack. I don't believe Milford was much of an improvement over Boyd defensively as a fullback but I could easily be wrong about that. I do agree Boyd needs improvement but he seems the focus and the vitriolic (not yours!) comments far too much.
Fair points.

I just never recall seeing the desperation at the back from Boyd that I saw from Milford. The strain on his face when trying to hold a person up.

That comes down to attitude, which is what I think a lot of people on here really dislike about Boyd.

Whether right or wrong, it’s easy to see why people think Boyd’s attitude stinks when you look at some of the things he’s done this year.

Anyway, you’re right, Boyd is an easy target. I guess that comes with being the captain though - the buck stops with him.

Unread

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.