NEWS Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold is optimistic about Broncos’ future

Well that severely discounts how many times he has also won us games off individual brilliance.

How are you going to blame him for Macca's shit game? Or Boyd's? Or Niko's?

Macca passes him the ball - he more than half the time passes it the wrong direction, while Milf is screaming for it.

Boyd is the fullback - yet Milf is constantly cleaning up after him.

Niko was our 7 - but was busted Hunt 2.0. Not a proper seven, and everyone knows it.

Put just about any quality six in that set up, you would get the same result I believe.

Yes, Milford should step up. His kicking game was just about the best in the comp last year, at the expense of his running game. He needed to improve, and did. He's capable - but it keeps being said, because it's true, he needs support. Wayne fucked up his progression, Seibs is dealing with it. Hopefully.

He also needs to just be his absolute best, even if the rest of the team sucks. Gravitate to Haas, Fifita, TPJ etc and stop shuffling it to Glenn every set.

Lest we forget your endless posts about scapegoating Boyd and Macca - turns out those of us saying it were 100% correct, and we would be a much better footy team if those two were moved on two years ago.
How many games have we won from Boyd’s sweep play? Being good sometimes doesn’t negate the times when you should step up does it? Because Boyd has won premierships. He doesn’t get a free ride because of that. I dunno man, because it’s a team sport and they’re all supposed to compliment each other? You’re using absolutes. More than half the time Macca passes the wrong way? Wrong. Milford is constantly cleaning up after Boyd? Wrong. Milford was playing 7 with the 6 on his back. Niko was basically playing 6. He was also being paid **** all to basically do the same shit Milford was doing. Why does he need to forget how to run to kick? That’s such a bullshit cop out. He could run and kick if he had the drive to do so.

Wayne fucked up his progression by giving him the best kicking game in the comp? Ok.. let’s we forget your endless posts scapegoating Boyd and Macca. My point was never that they weren’t a problem within the team, more so that you blokes didn’t have to talk about it in every thread. Not my fault you read what you want to read. Not supposed to “play the man” either, but those rules are obviously out the window these days.

How many games have we won from Boyd’s sweep play? Being good sometimes doesn’t negate the times when you should step up does it? Because Boyd has won premierships. He doesn’t get a free ride because of that. I dunno man, because it’s a team sport and they’re all supposed to compliment each other? You’re using absolutes. More than half the time Macca passes the wrong way? Wrong. Milford is constantly cleaning up after Boyd? Wrong. Milford was playing 7 with the 6 on his back. Niko was basically playing 6. He was also being paid **** all to basically do the same shit Milford was doing. Why does he need to forget how to run to kick? That’s such a bullshit cop out. He could run and kick if he had the drive to do so.

Wayne fucked up his progression by giving him the best kicking game in the comp? Ok.. let’s we forget your endless posts scapegoating Boyd and Macca. My point was never that they weren’t a problem within the team, more so that you blokes didn’t have to talk about it in every thread. Not my fault you read what you want to read. Not supposed to “play the man” either, but those rules are obviously out the window these days.

Did you feel personally attacked by my post?

It is a fact - you called out people for 'scapegoating' Boyd and Macca every chance you had. That's not an insult.

Boyd is the captain. Shit attitude, shit results. Might be a connection? He gets held to a higher standard than even, gasp, million dollar milford! Fuckin' A.

Milf was pretty bad overall this year. That's down to him. He could have, and should have been much better.

But my point proves itself doesn't it? What positions did Milf play this year? Was Boyd moved to six because it would improve the team or cause less damage to it?

Macca taking the wrong option more than 50% of the time? I'd bank on that. Contributed to us losing a GF, and many games since.

Milf cleaning up constantly after Boyd? Go watch replays from this year and last, see how many times Boyd is out of position but Milf is having a go.

Wayne gave him the best kicking lol? So it took him three years to identify and sort out? What a master.

All this to say, I hope Milf gets it right next year. If he goes, I will accept that too. There were many times he looked like the only bloke out there who gave a shit. Maybe he's jaded, I don't know. I hope not. If he goes, Boyd and Macca sure as **** better follow.

There is no issue with what Milf does at training. He is a very good trainer, and does all that’s asked of him.

His issue is what happens away from training at the club. Diet, lifestyle etc.

My biggest concern is his lack of willingness to ice games. He just doesn't seem to want to be the man to take charge when the game is on the line.
[automerge]1572931213[/automerge]
How fucking hard is it to eat clean Jesus Christ.

.... I say as I drink my 4th beer on a Tuesday lol. But seriously, you get paid near on a million a season it can’t be difficult to not drink gallons of coke.

Well that's been the problem, until now what has been the expectation set? The consequences for not adhering? That is what Seibs is bringing in.

Last edited:
My point was never that they weren’t a problem within the team, more so that you blokes didn’t have to talk about it in every thread.

Let's just put this to bed, am I correct in saying that your 2 main gripes with people on here in regards to player criticism is 1) Discussing it in multiple threads / repeating their opinion and 2) Not sharing the blame with other members of the team who under-perform just as much as the likes of Boyd & McCullough (previously Hunt)?

In regards to 1) I don't know why you have such a problem with this, if people feel like the performances of any player on the team warrant discussing in any post-game thread and any discussion thread in the Broncos sub-forum, that's completely up to them, we give people the right to share their opinion as many times as they want, as long as it's not specifically to get a reaction out of people (not naming names, but you know who).

In regards to 2) I don't agree with this part. There's no question that the more experienced members of the team are held to a higher calibre of performance, which is why the likes of Boyd & McCullough are the first and foremost to be blamed when things go south. And yes, there's probably been times where they've been blamed even if they weren't in our worst bunch of players. But with that being said, almost everyone on the team gets criticised at different points, Milford has copped it this year more than ever, plenty of people wanted Isaako playing QCUP earlier in the season, TPJ received almost as much criticism as anyone on the team this season because of his discipline and defensive efforts, Oates was copping it left and right post-Origin, nearly everyone has been against Ofahengaue since he re-signed.

My opinion is that you're just taking things personal that aren't personal. People are going to continue to criticise the under-performing players until they're either performing at an adequate level or they're no longer on the team, that's part and parcel of being on a Rugby League forum. If you feel that certain players deserve more criticism, criticise them. I think you'll find people would be more receptive to you giving negative feedback on the under-performing players than psuedo-defending players like Boyd & McCullough when they're also under-performing.

If you have a strong coach then under performing players just shouldn't even be an issue. They should be dropped. It's really as simple as that.

If you have a strong coach then under performing players just shouldn't even be an issue. They should be dropped. It's really as simple as that.

Except it's not though. In this case, Seibs walked into a political minefield.

It would have looked like he was spiting Bennett by dropping Boyd entirely. Add in our injury crisis and it looks tactful, despite being ineffective ultimately.

Would you have dropped Milf this year, Wolfie?

Was he genuinely bad or just not as effective as he should have been?

Except it's not though. In this case, Seibs walked into a political minefield.

It would have looked like he was spiting Bennett by dropping Boyd entirely. Add in our injury crisis and it looks tactful, despite being ineffective ultimately.

Would you have dropped Milf this year, Wolfie?

Was he genuinely bad or just not as effective as he should have been?

I wouldn't have played him at fullback. I'd have left him at 6. I don't think he was as effective as he should be though.

I'm not sure i believe in all this stuff about politics either. Maybe early on I could have believed it, but you don't keep picking players week in week out who don't do the job. It's madness. I also don't think a stronger coach would have cared if he looked like he was spiting another former coach. When he gave Bennett a serve he didn't care what anyone thought.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have played him at fullback. I'd have left him at 6. I don't think he was as effective as he should be though.

I'm not sure i believe in all this stuff about politics either. Maybe early on I could have believed it, but you don't keep picking players week in week out who don't do the job. It's madness. I also don't think a stronger coach would have cared if he looked like he was spiting another former coach. When he gave Bennett a serve he didn't care what anyone thought.

I definitely think there was some insecurity/inexperience that shone through this season with Seibs. Again, dropping the captain and Bennett's boy - would take some balls, no? Despite his performances. What other reason could there be for sticking by him? Ineptitude? Entirely possible (broncosgoat is hard as a rock right now).

I asked if you would have dropped Milf mate? I would have kept him at six also, dropping Boyd and trying someone else at FB, not sure who though. His move to fullback was exciting though, if not ultimately rewarding.

The politics would have been from the top and worried about ‘the look’ when the Broncos dropped their captain, their last ‘premiership winner’ and how the sponsors would have reacted...

The ‘spin’ seemed far more important to the club over the past few years than performance on the field and that is the very essence of politics...

Wayne gave him the best kicking lol? So it took him three years to identify and sort out? What a master.
To be honest that is more of a reflection on Milford then Bennett, Lockyer put up his hand to help develop Milford's game in general and he turned it down, I couldn't think of a better player to help develop his game in general. To me I have to question how motivated he really is, sure it may have improved over time, but other areas of his own game have declined as well and while you can argue that some of that is the product of the decline of our spine he has to own his share of that too.

Last edited:
I definitely think there was some insecurity/inexperience that shone through this season with Seibs. Again, dropping the captain and Bennett's boy - would take some balls, no? Despite his performances. What other reason could there be for sticking by him? Ineptitude? Entirely possible (broncosgoat is hard as a rock right now).

I asked if you would have dropped Milf mate? I would have kept him at six also, dropping Boyd and trying someone else at FB, not sure who though. His move to fullback was exciting though, if not ultimately rewarding.

I wouldn't have dropped Milf, that's why I said I'd have left him at 6, should have made myself clearer.

I'm not sure it would have taken balls to drop Boyd tbh. Probably would have been a big call early on, after 8 or 9 games I don't think it was much of a decision at all when you look back on the year. At the same time, he is paid to make this big decisions. Its his job. If he didn't want a high profile, highly scrutinised job he should never have come to the Broncos.
[automerge]1572935799[/automerge]
The politics would have been from the top and worried about ‘the look’ when the Broncos dropped their captain, their last ‘premiership winner’ and how the sponsors would have reacted...

The ‘spin’ seemed far more important to the club over the past few years than performance on the field and that is the very essence of politics...

Ive said it before, if he is being controlled and told what to do from people above him he is nothing more than a puppet coach. I personally don't believe he is, I think he is free to make his own decisions.

Last edited:
I think he played those choices pretty well actually...

There was a lot of internal politics not allowing him to drop Boyd. Macca was a little different but essentially the same, he had pressure on him to keep Macca in the side once Dearden and SOS dropped out of the race
If that is the case, then that may be different, but he is the coach, he should not be letting management dictate to him about football matters. Otherwise he is a coach in name only. Do you have evidence of that occurring or is it that just based on a rumour?

Okay, starting now my 2 scape goats from now on will be Lockyer and Langer. No more trash talk against the superstars Boyd and Macca and the super coaches Seibold and Bennett.

Lockyer for fucking up the board and recruitment/retention side of things.
Langer for his overcoaching of Milford on the field and not letting the young gen do their own thing instead of him being out there as 14th man every other set (it's embarrassing).

#Broncs4spoon_blameLockyer&Langer

To be honest that is more of a reflection on Milford then Bennett, Lockyer put up his hand to help develop Milford's game in general and he turned it down, I couldn't think of a better player to help develop his game in general. To me I have to question how motivated he really is, sure it may have improved over time, but other areas of his own game have declined as well and while you can argue that some of that is the product of the decline of our spine he has to own his share of that too.

Agreed. I was dumbfounded when I read that story - and that was a while ago. I've said Wayne was too easy on him, and I stand by that.

I wouldn't have dropped Milf, that's why I said I'd have left him at 6, should have made myself clearer.

I'm not sure it would have taken balls to drop Boyd tbh. Probably would have been a big call early on, after 8 or 9 games I don't think it was much of a decision at all when you look back on the year. At the same time, he is paid to make this big decisions. Its his job. If he didn't want a high profile, highly scrutinised job he should never have come to the Broncos.

That was about the time the injuries were hitting pretty hard yeah? Part of keeping Boyd at that point was forced - moving him from 1 was desperation imo.

Either way, despite the shitty end to the year, at the start I knew going in after the Wayne mess it might take a messy year to see improvement. Next year is make or break. I think just about everyone here is on the same page with that.

Moving Boyd was necessary he was an outright liability there, but moving him to 5/8th was also the wrong decision his future in the spine should have been over, it was at best a band aid solution to hopefully help Milford in attack and it didn't. If he had to remain in the team he should have played in the centres with Isaako at fullback and someone like Fanworth out on the wing.

Oh and how we lost both of our Halfbacks in the such a short period of time of the season, funnily enough reminds me of the start to the movie Any given Sunday, where the Sharks lose both their first and second tier quaterbacks in the same game, only difference is they had another. Kodi may have left but we still shouldn't have been in that situation.

Last edited:
Agreed. I was dumbfounded when I read that story - and that was a while ago. I've said Wayne was too easy on him, and I stand by that.

Nah, send him to Souths, Wayne will fix him!

Last edited:

Welp, there it is. To Milf, footy is just a job. If he ever cared at all about winning premierships, that evaporated in 2015. He just isn't the sort of personality that can recover from a disappointment like that.

As I said, if the Tigers want him, they can have him, and as of his next deal, it's a pay cut or nothing.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • bazza
  • Spoon
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.