NEWS Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold is optimistic about Broncos’ future

The biggest criticism I have of Seibold last year was that he benched Turpin after 1 quiet game and 4 or 5 previous great ones. Like he was the only bloke being held accountable for his performances, everyone else was welcome to stink it up as much as they pleased but the second Turps had a quiet game it's nope you're benched..
[automerge]1572745231[/automerge]

Honestly......probably.
That's what annoyed me too.

It's not that I don't have criticisms of Bennett myself, he also picked that dud 9 every week, although Boyd was never this bad under Bennett so I'd only be speculating what would happen there. Macca though, he's been the same dud for 10 years.

Seeing Seibold was willing to drop an actual top tier 9 in Farah to promote a then youngster in Cook I thought surely we have a coach who will drop Macca but nope. Safe as a house. Picked on the bench after injury, surely that's it now, he finally gets replaced. Nope. FFS.

I'll give Seibold till the mid way mark of this year before I call for his sacking but Boyd and Macca are time bombs and if he doesn't grow a pair and make some tough decisions there, he won't last as coach. It's all good and well to be mates with the boys but he's not their mate, his loyalty is to the club and having the best 17 each week.

I don't think anyone believes a spine of 1. Isaako 6. Milford 7. SOS 9. Turpin isn't better than the joke of 1. Milford 6. Boyd 7. Turpin 9. Macca. WTF, it hurts to write that, that's a shocking fucking spine. You could pull names out of a hat and come up with a better combo.

Last edited:
Yes it is, and it is a legitimate excuse. You can't reverse years of ingrained, endemic decay in less than a season, especially when part of that shit is a team as spineless as spaghetti. To reverse a corrosive culture takes a lot longer than a year. In any case, as we all know, all the cards are on the table and Seibold will live or die by the sword he has been handed, and by the skills he is purported to have.
But we couldnt even manage to change simple things like running onto the ball with depth or having the halves challenge the line. You can implement those changes in an U/8s team in a year, how could this not be achieved by a first graders and the reigning dally M coach?

The biggest criticism I have of Seibold last year was that he benched Turpin after 1 quiet game and 4 or 5 previous great ones. Like he was the only bloke being held accountable for his performances, everyone else was welcome to stink it up as much as they pleased but the second Turps had a quiet game it's nope you're benched..
I'm thinking you are referring to when Turps was given the starting role and then benched soon after??

From memory he was given the starting role against the tits... 7mins in Dearden goes down injured and he is moved to 7.

The next week we play parra in bankwest with Turps starting 9 and SOS as 7, and proceed to get towelled up... both those guys were pretty poor, but I don't really blame them for the loss. Overall parra just out enthused us which is typical of them playing at home.

The week after that was in Newcastle, which saw Milf return to 1 and Darius moved to 6 (sigh), but also saw Turps moved back to the bench. Another game we proceeded to lose.

In that game Milf got injured, and after that was sharks where Turps was moved to 6, SOS returned to 7 and Darius back at 1. We win that game with Turps scoring the game winner, and we then lose SOS to the hamstring injury.... so Turps plays starting halves for the majority of the season from then on primarily due to SOS and Dearden both being injured.

So ultimately Turps got dropped after two poor losses to Titans and Parra (although he was one of the only ones trying in the titans game), but we don't know if him getting dropped against Newcastle was just a kick in the ass to get him back on track and reinstated to starting hooker soon after, because he was moved to the halves based on the injury crisis that hit.

It's not like he was dropped after the titans and left on the bench for the rest of the season getting overlooked with no recourse on Macca... we just ran out of options in the halves and Turps flexibility saw him take up the slack

Yes it is, and it is a legitimate excuse. You can't reverse years of ingrained, endemic decay in less than a season, especially when part of that shit is a team as spineless as spaghetti. To reverse a corrosive culture takes a lot longer than a year. In any case, as we all know, all the cards are on the table and Seibold will live or die by the sword he has been handed, and by the skills he is purported to have.
Can’t teach them a set play if their culture sucks. Got it.

Siebs reminds a lot of Mickey Arthur, goodness I hope he does something next season to change that comparison, it isn’t a good one.

Instead of going to the states, he should've gone to Melbourne and live in Bellamy's garden shed for 2 weeks and learn how to recognise when a player is past it and let them go. What Bellamy did to chambers was ruthless yet necessary. It's what Siebold absolutley must do to Boyd and Macca. No more chances and no more pussy footing around. It's the only way he will make any real headway and it sends a message to the other players to shape up or ship out. Come on Siebold your job is simple, cut the dead weight, set a no bullshit and no excuse environment, show these players who is boss and learn how to deliver a good spray when it's deserved.
The problem is Chambers still has something to offer another club or to union. Boyd abd Macca have nothing. Its hard to offload players nobody wants.

All Siebold did this year was give excuses. Always someone else’s fault. The excuse for next year have already been set up.

No money, no halfback, too many dodgy contracts, etc.

All those things are correct though. we have Boyd, Macca, and Kahu on about 1.5 mil when all three shouldn't be in first grade next year. Throw in Bird on 800kish who can barely take the field (remember that he was chosen over Moses, a guy who had, what, 30 try assists in 2019?) and our roster and cap is absolutely fucked. The position we're in is Knights-esque, the only glimmer of hope we have is in our young brigade, particularly Haas and Fifita, who are on severe unders and saving us from the wooden spoon.

EDIT: The media and fans talk about cutting players and making signings etc but this isn't the fucking EPL, we're stuck with three peanuts and/or overpaid players (milf and Bird) for the next year or two. We can't do anything until they're gone.

EDIT 2: imagine if Seibs hadn't gotten rid of Niko, Roberts, and McGuire we'd be waving goodbye to Fifita and Carrigan at a bare minimum.

Instead of going to the states, he should've gone to Melbourne and live in Bellamy's garden shed for 2 weeks and learn how to recognise when a player is past it and let them go. What Bellamy did to chambers was ruthless yet necessary. It's what Siebold absolutley must do to Boyd and Macca. No more chances and no more pussy footing around. It's the only way he will make any real headway and it sends a message to the other players to shape up or ship out. Come on Siebold your job is simple, cut the dead weight, set a no bullshit and no excuse environment, show these players who is boss and learn how to deliver a good spray when it's deserved.

Was Chambers off contract or did he walk away from his contract? The difference with our situation is that Boyd, Macca, and Kahu do not give a single **** and are going to stick around and collect their cash even if they're dropped to QCUP. There's nothing the club can do to make them leave.

Last edited:
The few games I watched live this year I was amazed at the lack of attacking structure, or anything resembling a set play, the attack was dreadful, surely this is a coaching issue to some extent.

Last edited:
The few games I watched live this year I was amazed at the lack of attacking structure, or anything resembling a set play, the attack was dreadful, surely this is a coaching issue to some extent.
I could probably say the same thing about last years attack ?

No wait, we had the 'Boyd out the back sweep play' ... almost forgot about that one.

No wait, we had the 'Boyd out the back sweep play' ... almost forgot about that one.
Got 15 wins didn’t it?

All those things are correct though. we have Boyd, Macca, and Kahu on about 1.5 mil when all three shouldn't be in first grade next year. Throw in Bird on 800kish who can barely take the field (remember that he was chosen over Moses, a guy who had, what, 30 try assists in 2019?) and our roster and cap is absolutely fucked. The position we're in is Knights-esque, the only glimmer of hope we have is in our young brigade, particularly Haas and Fifita, who are on severe unders and saving us from the wooden spoon.

EDIT: The media and fans talk about cutting players and making signings etc but this isn't the fucking EPL, we're stuck with three peanuts and/or overpaid players (milf and Bird) for the next year or two. We can't do anything until they're gone.

EDIT 2: imagine if Seibs hadn't gotten rid of Niko, Roberts, and McGuire we'd be waving goodbye to Fifita and Carrigan at a bare minimum.

Was Chambers off contract or did he walk away from his contract? The difference with our situation is that Boyd, Macca, and Kahu do not give a single **** and are going to stick around and collect their cash even if they're dropped to QCUP. There's nothing the club can do to make them leave.

Where does this keep coming from that we chose Bird over Moses? Its a complete myth. We signed Bird in April 2017. We kept chasing Ash Taylor until late October 2017, so it was clear we were after Ash for halfback, not Moses. Bird had nothing to do with it.

We also signed Carrigan to an extension before we released Roberts, and Nikorima. Truth be told his contract was practically tied up when we released Moose as well.

There was a Milford to Oates passing play and a Broncs try which kind of made me think why not try that again? Apart from that it was Bird crabbing across the field trying to ad lib something which was somewhat effective, pass it to the big but dumb boppers like Lodge etc and see if they could score somehow, a harmless bomb on the 5th and nothing else, painful to watch.

Got 15 wins didn’t it?
Once again, 2 of those wins should not have been, due to a ref error against the Tigers and the goalpost saving us against the Cowboys. So that would have dropped us down to 13 wins and probably 8th place.

In any event, if you are satisfied with just making the bottom half of the 8, getting knocked out week one of the finals with a whimper, that is the trajectory that we were on (if not missing the 8 altogether).

A change of coaching was required. Whether they have chosen the right coach we will discover in due course. I and it seems a number of other informed posters are willing to cut him some slack and give him some time to see if he can turn our fortunes around. He did inherit a weak spine.

In saying all of that, he is under the pump, and Seibold's failure to have the side playing to some form of consistent system in both attack and defence was concerning, and some of his selections were bewildering. If things do not show a definable and noticeable improvement this year, you can be sure that there will be a lot more joining you calling for him to be replaced. But given, we are all supposed to be Broncos supporters, I guess we should be hoping he succeeds and the club gets back to where it once was. As opposed to deathriding him at every turn and hoping if not expecting that he fails.

It is not that simple to reverse what, 5 years if not more, of ingrained decay. He is on notice for this year and he knows it.
He shouldn't be on notice while he has Boyd / Bird / Kahu on the cap. He didn't want any of them, didn't sign any of them, and certainly could do better with the 2m they occupy on the cap.

Honestly, Giving Tedesco $1.5m and getting two numpties on $200k would be better. We have the worst use of the cap of any team other than the Titans.

Broncos ready to rip into Anthony Seibold’s pre-season plan
Rising stars Patrick Carrigan and Tom Dearden and a host of youngsters have already hit the ground running for a pre-season coach Anthony Seibold says will be much improved on last year.
The NRL pre-season is in full swing across Queensland as the Titans and Cowboys join the Broncos in preparing for the 2020 season.
A number of North Queensland and Gold Coast players will on Monday officially start their pre-season training, while several Broncos players began on Friday.

It will be Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook’s first pre-season training session as an NRL head coach, while Cowboys mentor Paul Green will be aiming to make amends for his side’s poor 2019 season.

Rising Brisbane stars Patrick Carrigan and Tom Dearden joined a host of young players in Friday’s first training session before the more experienced players join them over the coming weeks.

Coach Anthony Seibold said the upcoming pre-season was much better organised than the last which followed his sudden arrival at Red Hill.

“We’ve got a very well planned program,” he said.

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold. Picture: AAP
Broncos coach Anthony Seibold. Picture: AAP
“The beauty of this pre-season is that we’ve been able to plan it over the off-season.

“We came in late last year.

“In any case, we had some small wins (in 2019) but, ultimately, we were disappointed with our final performance but we’ve reviewed that, held on to it for a while and moved on from it.”

He said the club was “setting the standards early” as they looked to end Brisbane’s longest premiership drought.

Young gun Jake Turpin said several players had trained during the off-season. He will start his pre-season on November 13, along with the more experienced squad and representative players.

“We’ve done a few training sessions together through the off-season,” Turpin said.

Broncos young gun Jake Turpin is ready for a big pre-season. Picture: AAP
Broncos young gun Jake Turpin is ready for a big pre-season. Picture: AAP
“There’s a really good vibe around us boys and we’re really keen to get back together and work hard.

“It’s an eager young group.

“The boys just want to be the best they can be and that’s all we can do in the off-season.

“When November 13 comes round, the boys are ready to go.”

The Broncos will hope to make amends for their 2019 finish, while both the Cowboys and Titans have plenty to improve on following their season standings last year.

Holbrook last week spoke of setting the standards at the club as he begins his tenure at the struggling Titans.

“We get to start fresh Monday and lay down some standards and behaviours that we’ll work in with the players over the next few months,” he said.

Everything’s gonna be alright...

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Broncosarethebest
  • MrMoore
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • mystico
  • broncsgoat
  • Redux
  • Fitzy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Dash
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.