NEWS Brisbane to Bennett: it's not you, it's us

I don't know the answer to this 100% accurately, but I would say older family members knew Wayne a little bit way back when and never had a bad word to say about the man. From what I've been told the private and public personas are quite different and those close to him generally hold him in very high regard so it would generally align with Huge Huge's position.
Totally understand. Though I doubt he keeps many people closer than arms length. He doesn't have to throw people under the bus to get his way, but if you're on the outer with him I think you are just shut out. There are very few people who have the presence of Wayno and have a bad relationship with him. The only one that comes to mind is Tallis, who had a falling out. So, what can one take from this? Wayne looks after his own, but Wayne gets his way. Most respect him enough to accede to his wishes, and he is 99% of the time correct (through whatever machinations). So, those people are kept in his circle or wish to be in his circle. The other side of it are those that disagree, but they are typically not in the same position of power as Wayne. They do not have the same sway as Wayne, and to Wayne they are as flies or gnats. Those people are just ignored and kept at an understandable distance. Wayne does not engage. Wayne will make these side-mouthed comments that undermine his opposition's position, but he won't be direct.

Take, for example, Bellamy and the wrestle. Bellamy apparently brought wrestling coaches to the Broncos and Wayne booted them. Bellamy then started looking for a new job and a place where he could practice this. Wayne has never been a fan of the wrestle and has continued to try to remove it from the game. Bennett Ball was always his go-to. So, does it come as any surprise that Bennett prefers these new rules to effectively remove the wrestle from the game?

Bennett was ousted unceremoniously from the Broncos, and he was very crafty in his handling of that situation as well. His comments were never direct, but the meaning understood. However, the management here would never engage publicly and neither would Wayne. Right or wrong, Bennett was still aiming to be top dog.

I think it wouldn't behoove any person to be anything other than publicly amicable. It wouldn't do for him to be an outright arsehole. However, he is accustomed to getting his way, though his methods are quite subtle.

How to handle the media? Give them nothing. Don't engage. Public affair? Make it clear that you won't speak on it and the media would have to harass the ex-wife, left to care for his disabled adult children.

Now, is he entitled to do that? Yes. Has he dealt with it correctly? Who knows? Would it be smart for Ikin to engage in it any further than he already has? Probably not. But Ikin ends up outside the circle and Bennett continues to be Bennett.

edit: sorry that this is a bit of a ramble, but my intent was to simply point out that (while I respect him as a coach) he is perhaps quite egocentric and self-serving in his actions and statements.

There is a video with WB giving a speech on Youtube where he relays an Indian Cherokee fable.
It probably sums him up very well; as indeed, it does all of us.
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.”
He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

There is a video with WB giving a speech on Youtube where he relays an Indian Cherokee fable.
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.”
He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”
Nice. But here an idiom springs to mind: the road to hell is paved with good intentions - Madonna 😉

Sometimes we're also blinded by our own personal predilections. Bennett clearly wants to help people, but sometimes it is to the detriment of others. Right, Darbs?

All you had to do was ref according to the rules, they did it and it was glorious and then Gould complained and that was the end of that.

Then they bring in the six again on the theory of cutting down the wrestle but then forget to penalise the team that does it the most - Melbourne.
I was gonna bring this up... it targeted it PERFECTLY, but much to the media's disgust the storm and roosters struggled with it. Another mid-season rule change to suit those teams and surprise surprise which teams make the grand final that year......

No competition in the world is manipulated and dependent upon rule changes and rule interpretations from management. Its disgusting. I wish I didn't grow up loving the sport, honestly, it's shit, it really is.

I was gonna bring this up... it targeted it PERFECTLY, but much to the media's disgust the storm and roosters struggled with it. Another mid-season rule change to suit those teams and surprise surprise which teams make the grand final that year......

No competition in the world is manipulated and dependent upon rule changes and rule interpretations from management. Its disgusting. I wish I didn't grow up loving the sport, honestly, it's shit, it really is.
Yes! that final line really nails my sentiment too! If I had grown up watching anything else I would just chuckle, shake my head and go back to watching anything else. **** sake.

I can see this posted on a boomers Facebook feed as text over storm clouds.

So WB was the other person that saw The New Mutants.

Reckon it's time for the title of this thread to be changed to something like 'The Wayne Bennett agenda thread' .. interesting how its taken a turn since the Souths game up here a few weeks ago..

Prior to that time, he'd recommended the Broncos to Adam Reynolds for 2022 & beyond and had seemingly left the door ajar for an approach from the club re a return. Since the press conference after that game he's taken possible opportunity to describe the Broncos as a bad club for players to be involved with.

Apart from puffing his chest out to other clubs with job vacancies for next year, he's clearly pretty keen on twisting the knife into the Broncos. Today's comments re Milford are pretty interesting, given what he said about James Roberts a couple of years ago when he exited Brisbane and arrived at Souths.

Reckon it's time for the title of this thread to be changed to something like 'The Wayne Bennett agenda thread' .. interesting how its taken a turn since the Souths game up here a few weeks ago..

Prior to that time, he'd recommended the Broncos to Adam Reynolds for 2022 & beyond and had seemingly left the door ajar for an approach from the club re a return. Since the press conference after that game he's taken possible opportunity to describe the Broncos as a bad club for players to be involved with.

Apart from puffing his chest out to other clubs with job vacancies for next year, he's clearly pretty keen on twisting the knife into the Broncos. Today's comments re Milford are pretty interesting, given what he said about James Roberts a couple of years ago when he exited Brisbane and arrived at Souths.
What did he say about Milford? Talking about us again like a scorned lover.

What did he say about Milford? Talking about us again like a scorned lover.
“A smart club will sign Anthony Milford,” said Souths super coach Bennett, who mentored Milford for four seasons at the Broncos.

“If I was coaching next year and I had a chance to sign Anthony Milford, I would take him, that’s the best reference I can give to any NRL club.

“In a good system where he is appreciated for what he brings, Anthony Milford is a wonderful player, there is no doubt about that.

“But he needs to find a home that can benefit from what he brings and that club has to have a stable environment.

“He will find a club in the NRL, mark my words. He will have to take a major pay cut but it‘s not going to happen that he won’t get another contract.

“I coached him for four years, I know better than most what he can bring.

“The important thing for Anthony, like many players, is having the right environment around him.

“I don’t know if Souths can fit him in, there has been no discussion at this stage but I won’t be here next year.

“He has football ability, he hasn’t lost that. He has got skills most people don’t have and his kicking game is much improved.

“Anthony has more to offer, I really believe that. In the right club, Anthony will succeed.”

“A smart club will sign Anthony Milford,” said Souths super coach Bennett, who mentored Milford for four seasons at the Broncos.

“If I was coaching next year and I had a chance to sign Anthony Milford, I would take him, that’s the best reference I can give to any NRL club.

“In a good system where he is appreciated for what he brings, Anthony Milford is a wonderful player, there is no doubt about that.

“But he needs to find a home that can benefit from what he brings and that club has to have a stable environment.

“He will find a club in the NRL, mark my words. He will have to take a major pay cut but it‘s not going to happen that he won’t get another contract.

“The important thing for Anthony, like many players, is having the right environment around him.

“I don’t know if Souths can fit him in, there has been no discussion at this stage but I won’t be here next year.

“He has football ability, he hasn’t lost that. He has got skills most people don’t have and his kicking game is much improved.

“Anthony has more to offer, I really believe that. In the right club, Anthony will succeed.”

Haha even the former coach who screwed up his development blames everyone else bar Anthony.

And yea I say screwed up his development. Wayne loves to take the plaudits when they come but not own the mistakes. He said if he got it right with Milf, he could become the new JT, well it never happened. Wayne tried to turn him into something he never was. Seibold just accelerated it and Milf bought the destruction home.

Wayne is really cut he didn’t get Ikin’s job I think.

Haha even the former coach who screwed up his development blames everyone else bar Anthony.

And yea I say screwed up his development. Wayne loves to take the plaudits when they come but not own the mistakes. He said if he got it right with Milf, he could become the new JT, well it never happened. Wayne tried to turn him into something he never was. Seibold just accelerated it and Milf bought the destruction home.

Wayne is really cut he didn’t get Ikin’s job I think.
I think he’s cut that we didn’t grovel. I’m not sure he would’ve taken it but it probably burns the ego that they moved on.

Is there are 'dismissive wank' emoji?

Maybe just change the title to "The Old Man is yelling at clouds again"

Maybe just change the title to "The Old Man is yelling at clouds again"

297.jpg

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.