NEWS Brisbane to Bennett: it's not you, it's us

The problems lie not so much with WB, but with the failure of those clubs to conduct proper succession planning. We have sucked at it for 15 years.
I'm hoping DD and Ikin can give Kev the support he needs to succeed because coaches aren't a plentiful resource and it's much cheaper to develop a good coach than to keep sacking every 2 years until you find the magic bullet.

I'd say WB saw that the Broncos organization had become toxic long before the end of his second stint there. My guess is that he was only welcomed back by most but not all of the powerbrokers in the shadows. It would require WB to have the patience of Job and the Wisdom of Solomon to not respond bitterly when asked about the Broncos after the disgraceful way he was both undermined and disrespected.

We should all understand that it wouldn't matter in the slightest what words WB uses when asked a question concerning the Broncos, the meaning of those words will be disregarded and another spin put on them which would doubless be some form of condemnation. Truthfully, is there anyone on here who would call the Broncos ' a smart club' ?? So, if WB calls it as it is should the messenger be shot?
When Wayne is asked a question about the broncos his response should be along the lines of- “none of my business, I don’t know what’s going on up there, my focus is on Souths” unless he wants to continue to look like a 70+ sook.

Bennett's quality is so evident at the moment with what's happening to the Qld side.

Obviously but he is up against Paul Green...who somehow managed to beat Bennett's side in 2015.

In fairness to Green though, Bennett wasn't up against next level TTurbo or a better balanced side as this NSW one is either. Plus Munster was in epic form, Grant was available and so was Collins, two of the best players of last year's series. Tedesco was also knocked out of the deciding match, so Bennett had a lot of fortune go right ON TOP OF being a far better coach than Green.

Obviously but he is up against Paul Green...who somehow managed to beat Bennett's side in 2015.

In fairness to Green though, Bennett wasn't up against next level TTurbo or a better balanced side as this NSW one is either. Plus Munster was in epic form, Grant was available and so was Collins, two of the best players of last year's series. Tedesco was also knocked out of the deciding match, so Bennett had a lot of fortune go right ON TOP OF being a far better coach than Green.

not to mention that Green still hasn't learned that coaching Origin is a different ball game to coaching in the NRL

oh, and selecting struggling Cowboys players isn't necessarily the best stategy

While I don't agree with his tone I 100% agree with his argument. It's conspiracy theory madness that a coach leaves a place worse off intentionally as some sort of evil master plan.

Let's all thank Seibold for the place being better off than last year, he obviously setup the foundations for a claim up the ladder.

Oftan the simplest explanation is the correct one. Searching for all these crazy theories like him being a master manipulator who sets up clubs to fail the second he leaves is just crazy theories not based in reality.

The reality is, he is often replaced by worse coaches so the joints go down.

I know a business that made 20k a week, they leased it out for 8k a week, within 12 months the people leasing it had profits shrink to below 5k a week. Within 2 years they had to break lease or face bankruptcy. The original owners took the place back and within 12 months profits were over 20k a week again, after 2 years, they would regularly make 30k a week net profit.

Coaching is a tough gig, very few coaches make it past 5-10 years, statistically anyone who replaces Bennett (or Bellamy/Robinson when the time comes) will almost certainly fail. That's just probability.

Yeah I agree that it is a fair argument and I am very much in the to and fro camp when it comes to Bennett, so I can genuinely say I see both sides of this argument.

Bennett is an excellent coach, far better than anyone bar Bellamy and I'd argue Robinson these days. That said, a good argument is very easy to lose in a tirade of childishness.

not to mention the Green still hasn't learned that coaching Origin is a different ball game to coaching in the NRL

oh, and selecting struggling Cowboys players isn't necessarily the best stategy

And that mistake is totally on Green, no one forced him to do that.

Even so, you take TTurbo, Mitchell and Tedesco out of major parts of this series and insert 2020 level Munster, Collins and a fit Grant, you have a FAR better Queensland team.

Bennett's quality is so evident at the moment with what's happening to the Qld side.
I'm absolutely inclined to agree with you. I'd only temper that a little bit by saying that Bennett absolutely was able to capitalise on the Blues arrogance and complacency to more or less ambush them.

The problem with an ambush is it's next to impossible to do a second time around and you can guarantee that complacency was not a thing this series after having their pants pulled down in 2020, so even with Bennett at the helm, I suspect he'd have found 2021 pretty hard going too.

I'm absolutely inclined to agree with you. I'd only temper that a little bit by saying that Bennett absolutely was able to capitalise on the Blues arrogance and complacency to more or less ambush them.

The problem with an ambush is it's next to impossible to do a second time around and you can guarantee that complacency was not a thing this series after having their pants pulled down in 2020, so even with Bennett at the helm, I suspect he'd have found 2021 pretty hard going too.
I think we'd still lose this year with Bennett but they'd go down to the wire. Green has to be the worst choice possible but I figure there's not many coaches willing to take the job and get pummeled next year so we may still run out with Green as coach next year too.

'And if you don't improve, son,' he said, after he'd carefully placed the phone back in it's cradle, 'well, you saw what happened to the Jet. You'll be dead to me. But the Tigers might throw you a lifeline.'
Milford and the Tigers would honestly be a wonderful fit for one another.

I think we'd still lose this year with Bennett but they'd go down to the wire. Green has to be the worst choice possible but I figure there's not many coaches willing to take the job and get pummeled next year so we may still run out with Green as coach next year too.
Yeah I absolutely agree the manner and margin of our defeats would likely have been much better under Bennett.

There is no circumstance where sending out Paul Green again would be acceptable. It's a joke that he was even appointed for this series. I think I'd almost rather have Seibold.

TBF, Meninga’s effect / impact on the 2020 team shouldn’t be discounted either.

That said, Green is still an awful coach.

TBF, Meninga’s effect / impact on the 2020 team shouldn’t be discounted either.

That said, Green is still an awful coach.
Yep, it was a Coaching/Morale Dream Team coaching what at the time was probably our weakest squad ever.

What a ridiculous reply to a respectful response. I don’t care if you believe what @Organix said or not and I don’t care if what he said is accurate or not and I don’t know if I agree with it or not but at least it is well thought out and articulated.

A response like yours just makes you look like a spiteful old man in the mould of Paul Kent. You love to correct people and then produce textual diarrhoea like this?

And of course you will most likely reply with your usual attacking garbage and claims staff shouldn’t act like whatever (this is my own view not representative of staff), so I won’t reply, I just want people to give Organix’s post the respect well written posts like that deserve.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Doesn't matter how well packaged garbage is, it's still garbage.

When Wayne is asked a question about the broncos his response should be along the lines of- “none of my business, I don’t know what’s going on up there, my focus is on Souths” unless he wants to continue to look like a 70+ sook.
Gee, I really don't know about that. So, if I've read this correctly WB should answer questions about a club he's coached twice with 'no comment'. Wonder what people would say then. I'm sure it would be just a constant stream of praise for him doing the silent thing🙄

You know, it's possible that many other people might not think he's done anything wrong. I'd say there's probably quite a few that aren't ageist pricks too. What exactly does his age have to do with his opinion?

Haha

Touché, this is a quality comeback, kudos to you my man.
It's all good. We are all passionate on here and I realise I hold unpopular views at times and yes, I could be better in the respect department. I kind of write as I speak, it's almost the same. The difference is the written word seldom reflects the nuance, the tone of the spoken word. Like the way I told Nashy 'hey ****' when he dissed Logan and my beloved Ipswich. He knew exactly how I would have sounded and reacted perfectly. Another person likely would have seen it very differently. So, if what I said to Organix had happened in the real world he'd very likely not been too offended.😀

Active Now

• Galah
  • Battler
  • NSW stables
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.