NEWS Brisbane to Bennett: it's not you, it's us

Definitely partly sour grapes but if you look at the state of all the clubs Bennet leaves is having him as head coach for 2 years or so at the brith of your club really setting yourself up for success?

Giving him some Godfather role to set up systems and culture he’d be great but coaching could be setting yourself up for failure long term.

The independent report that states a 17th team is simply not sustainable might suggest Benny will go into full on retiremen.

Apropos that independent report: where the Broncos one of the clubs that are against the new team?
Furthermore, are these clubs just looking for their cut?

Apropos that independent report: where the Broncos one of the clubs that are against the new team?
Furthermore, are these clubs just looking for their cut?

who knows ... good chance since 12 of the 16 teams are reported to be against expansion. I'm sure the Broncos would like to keep the status quo, especially right now.

The Titans were reported to be spear heading the charge against the 2nd Brisbane team

If nothing else, Ikin's appointment as HoF is as strong a message as any to Wayne that he really isn't welcome back at the club ever. An expose on his second stint would be a very interesting read, because it seems like he really put himself offside with many figureheads at the club, and I honestly have no idea who I would side with in that regard.

Personally I think Bennett's ego has really taken the reins within his own head in the twilight of his career. His failure at Newcastle was the beginning of the rot, or maybe it was the premiership with Merge. Who can say with certainty, but he isn't the same coach that departed the Broncos in 2008.

It really was a bitter fall-out and the crazy thing was how quickly it turned sour. Bennett actually got along well with everyone the biggest stumbling block was his age. The Broncos couldn't see him coaching in 5 years time and Bellamy happened to just be coming off-contract. Bennett understood, he just wanted to be kept in the loop so he wasn't going to be publically embarrassed.

Remember this was when the media was waging war with Bennett. Bennett was a hot topic on a lot of their shows and they'd pick a part anything he did. They would even go back to his time at Newcastle when they didn't have any fresh material even when it was factually incorrect.

Anyways he was told no worries and he'd be the first to no only for the Daily Telegraph to break the news only a day or so later. That created a fracture but it would have been water under the bridge had they just moved on from missing out on Bellamy. Instead they kept going, more things were being leaked to the media and Bennett was beginning to fight fire with fire. In the end the Broncos just wouldn't back down which is why they went hard for Seibold.

Emotions are still raw and Bennett's preference is still to coach. If the Firehawks don't pan out, I would not be shocked to see him return to the Broncos in some development capacity.

I don't think Ikin was brought into spite Bennett. I think it was as simple as Nolan needed to be moved on, they had Ikin's credentials on file and Donaghy would have heard his critiques and been interested to hear his solutions. Based on their discussions, Ikin got the role.

It's always difficult to know how they'll go but Ikin has been spot on so far with his critiques of the club. A lot of fans understandably saw it as sour grapes but I genuinely thought he had a point and it's transpired exactly as he said it would.

If nothing else, Ikin's appointment as HoF is as strong a message as any to Wayne that he really isn't welcome back at the club ever. An expose on his second stint would be a very interesting read, because it seems like he really put himself offside with many figureheads at the club, and I honestly have no idea who I would side with in that regard.

Personally I think Bennett's ego has really taken the reins within his own head in the twilight of his career. His failure at Newcastle was the beginning of the rot, or maybe it was the premiership with Merge. Who can say with certainty, but he isn't the same coach that departed the Broncos in 2008.
Yet if he won in 2015 he’d be the chosen one

perspective.

It really wasn't.

Bennett bought in Boyd and Blair. Am I missing others? To do so he also punted Barba. Would Barba have been worse than Boyd who was excellent that year? I don’t know but history says he went on to be excellent at Cronulla post-injuries pre-idiocy. Blair did a lot of clean up work and by the end of the season was firing once McGuire went down but pre-McGuire injury, many were calling for his head.

If I'm going to be brutally honest, Bennett has failed at souths in his time. When he took that team over they were more then primed for a grand final tilt and he has fallen in the semis the last 2 years and I really cant see souths unseating the Storm or the panthers either this year. He has had Walker, Reynolds, Cook and Mitchell all in their prime with a more than capable backline and decent forward pack and hasn't looked like threatening to run away with a title.
Speak what you may with regards to our 2015 run, beside the very handily additions of Blair and Boyd on his watch, the team was pretty much Hooks mould in the lead up to that run.

If I'm going to be brutally honest, Bennett has failed at souths in his time. When he took that team over they were more then primed for a grand final tilt and he has fallen in the semis the last 2 years and I really cant see souths unseating the Storm or the panthers either this year. He has had Walker, Reynolds, Cook and Mitchell all in their prime with a more than capable backline and decent forward pack and hasn't looked like threatening to run away with a title.
Speak what you may with regards to our 2015 run, beside the very handily additions of Blair and Boyd on his watch, the team was pretty much Hooks mould in the lead up to that run.
Failed is a stretch. They're on their way to third consecutive top 4 spot and are head and shoulders the third best team (lol). Running into these two teams that are currently at the top and unable to unseat them doesnt make him a failure - the panthers are doing something that is fucking freakish and probably wont be replicated for a long time and the storm are just the storm.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • LittleDavey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Bronco bob
  • broncsgoat
  • pennywisealfie
  • Bish
  • whykickamoocow
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Volvo Driver
  • Mr Fourex
  • Morkel
  • mrslong
  • Wolfie
  • Broncs1459
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.