NEWS Brisbane to Bennett: it's not you, it's us

Is he still going to be the Australian #9. Same with Murray. Will they lose opportunity?

I sincerely don’t know.

I agree that I wish these were our problems.
As Jay Z so aptly put it: we’ve got 99 problems, but representative players being out ain’t 1.

Yeah. And those players left, and Bennett was able to attract like for like players in their position.

I get we have fallen off a cliff since Bennett left but how can people put that on him? There was an article about our round 1 team for next year and saying that only 1 player (Staggs) is likely to remain from Wayne’s last team.

I don't think there's been a club that prospered in the short-term after his departure, us with Locky maybe?

I don't think there's been a club that prospered in the short-term after his departure, us with Locky maybe?
I don’t take that as a knock on him to be honest. He assembles team he knows he can get results with. If the next bloke comes along and shits the bed why is that his fault?

I don’t take that as a knock on him to be honest. He assembles team he knows he can get results with. If the next bloke comes along and shits the bed why is that his fault?

He usually takes his band with him and a key player or 2, he did a real number on Newcastle there

My theory on why it goes to shit when Wayne moves on from clubs is because he seems like he wants full control over every aspect of the organisation and then when you lose that (when he leaves), you get blokes who are found out for not being able to fulfil their role at a basic level. That's certainly what happened to us, we went from having Bennett to having Seibold who would be considered to be a rookie coach in a club that has people employed behind that scenes that weren't able to fulfil their role at a satisfactory level.

Imo Murray is a more complete player under Bennett, especially defensively. Cook has gone backwards but is that Wayne’s fault? Teams have figured him out. Bennett was definitely trying to add playmaking and kicking to his game. I would say it’s more on Cook. There’s only so much you can do for a player. This is all hypotheticals anyway - maybe the same thing would’ve happened under Seibold, who knows? Keleomatagi’s progress is definitely a credit to Bennett. Came into first grade last year and now around the origin squad

My theory on why it goes to shit when Wayne moves on from clubs is because he seems like he wants full control over every aspect of the organisation and then when you lose that (when he leaves), you get blokes who are found out for not being able to fulfil their role at a basic level. That's certainly what happened to us, we went from having Bennett to having Seibold who would be considered to be a rookie coach in a club that has people employed behind that scenes that weren't able to fulfil their role at a satisfactory level.
Perhaps a factor is that succesful, long term coaches have a well balanced interest in both short term and longer term success so they plan well for both. Bellamy and Robinson are the prime examples. They can do this because they are secure in their positions. Usually the club itself plays a key role also with high performers throughout the organisation who have already set a path for sustained long term success.
Most coaches find themselves not in this position. They need short term success to avoid sackings or reputations damage and longer term planning suffers. What often seems to happen is there there is no short term success and the club is in a poor position when the next coach takes over, and this losing pattern continues for another cycle. It’s a tough pattern to break especially as change usually needs to start with the head office who don’t like to sack themselves.
Maybe in Wayne’s case he has found himself on the wrong side of this equation in his later career and his goals have mainly been short term at the expense of a club’s longer term interests.

Perhaps a factor is that succesful, long term coaches have a well balanced interest in both short term and longer term success so they plan well for both. Bellamy and Robinson are the prime examples. They can do this because they are secure in their positions. Usually the club itself plays a key role also with high performers throughout the organisation who have already set a path for sustained long term success.
Most coaches find themselves not in this position. They need short term success to avoid sackings or reputations damage, and longer term planning suffers. What often seems to happen is there is no short term success and the club is in a poor position when the next coach takes over, and the losing pattern continues for another cycle. It’s a tough pattern to break especially as change usually needs to start with the head office who don’t like to sack themselves.
Maybe in Wayne’s case he has found himself on the wrong side of this equation in his later career and his goals have mainly been short term at the expense of a club’s longer term interests.

Imo Murray is a more complete player under Bennett, especially defensively. Cook has gone backwards but is that Wayne’s fault? Teams have figured him out. Bennett was definitely trying to add playmaking and kicking to his game. I would say it’s more on Cook. There’s only so much you can do for a player. This is all hypotheticals anyway - maybe the same thing would’ve happened under Seibold, who knows? Keleomatagi’s progress is definitely a credit to Bennett. Came into first grade last year and now around the origin squad
I’m honestly not trying to be snarky, but this does read a little like you’re saying that when his players improve it’s because of Wayne. When they decline it’s not because of Wayne, it’s the player. I just don’t think that can be accurate. The reality for me is that the credit / responsibility for player improvement / regression probably sits somewhere in the middle between both parties (which I think you might be trying to say and I’m just not seeing).

On a different note; I absolutely do agree there is only so much a coach can do for a player (improving or stopping a regression). I just wish others on here would consider that when they’re critiquing Walters so far.

As far as I am concerned, whether Walters can coach or not is not what we should really be worrying about at this moment in time (and who knows, maybe he really is a dud…).

Our squad is so down on confidence, so accustomed to hidings, so poor at the fundamentals that they should have learnt well before they entered an NRL system and so disconnected from reality and the expectations on them as professional athletes. A coach like Bennett can come in and have his few project players that he either turns into stars or gets back on the right path, but I doubt any coach could come in and fix 30 plus blokes who have just pumped out one of the worst seasons in NRL history and claimed a strong clubs first ever wooden spoon.

I truly believe some of our blokes, and more concerning, some of our key (lol) players, are cooked and almost beyond repair. From the outside looking in, it seems the club may agree, which is why we are seeing a big fucking broom being put through the place.

Anyway, I probably just hijacked this and went off on a tangent, sorry 😑

I’m honestly not trying to be snarky, but this does read a little like you’re saying that when his players improve it’s because of Wayne. When they decline it’s not because of Wayne, it’s the player. I just don’t think that can be accurate. The reality for me is that the credit / responsibility for player improvement / regression probably sits somewhere in the middle between both parties (which I think you might be trying to say and I’m just not seeing).

On a different note; I absolutely do agree there is only so much a coach can do for a player (improving or stopping a regression). I just wish others on here would consider that when they’re critiquing Walters so far.

As far as I am concerned, whether Walters can coach or not is not what we should really be worrying about at this moment in time (and who knows, maybe he really is a dud…).

Our squad is so down on confidence, so accustomed to hidings, so poor at the fundamentals that they should have learnt well before they entered an NRL system and so disconnected from reality and the expectations on them as professional athletes. A coach like Bennett can come in and have his few project players that he either turns into stars or gets back on the right path, but I doubt any coach could come in and fix 30 plus blokes who have just pumped out one of the worst seasons in NRL history and claimed a strong clubs first ever wooden spoon.

I truly believe some of our blokes, and more concerning, some of our key (lol) players, are cooked and almost beyond repair. From the outside looking in, it seems the club may agree, which is why we are seeing a big fucking broom being put through the place.

Anyway, I probably just hijacked this and went off on a tangent, sorry 😑
That’s a good point, I didn’t realise how biased I was being so thanks for pointing it out. It does concern me that Kev isn’t improving any of our players. But like you said, given they’re putting a broom through the place maybe we can’t judge that too much this year? I don’t know, it’s definitely a concern. Lot of pressure on Walters next year

That’s a good point, I didn’t realise how biased I was being so thanks for pointing it out. It does concern me that Kev isn’t improving any of our players. But like you said, given they’re putting a broom through the place maybe we can’t judge that too much this year? I don’t know, it’s definitely a concern. Lot of pressure on Walters next year
👍

To be fair, I probably lean toward the defend Kev side of the equation more, so we definitely all do it 😂

I really do hope he can deliver though. For him personally but even more importantly the club. I just can’t imagine another new coach in 2023 can be a good thing.

Time will tell though of course.

Anyone else ever noticed Wayne kind of looks a bit like Admiral Tarkin? Would explain his dark side I suppose.

Look what he’s done to the Qld team: it’s criminal. He was here and we won, and then he left us and we’re possibly the worst origin team ever.

#saltedtheearth

Origin coaching is completely different scenario ... hell QLD should sack Green and give him a long term deal. perfect way for him to finish his career

Origin coaching is completely different scenario ... hell QLD should sack Green and give him a long term deal. perfect way for him to finish his career
I think if he had that job and a consultancy role with us it’d be a good way for him to go out for sure

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.