NEWS Brisbane to Bennett: it's not you, it's us

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Anyone else ever noticed Wayne kind of looks a bit like Admiral Tarkin? Would explain his dark side I suppose.
Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
There has been some talk of Wayne Bennett's comments today, so I thought I'd post them here instead of clogging up other threads. I may be accused of bias here, but given some of the decisions Bennett himself has had a hand in over the last decade or so, these comments seem a bit hypocritical

Wayne Bennett Says:

“Management of clubs has a huge result on performances at the moment. Clubs have got to take a hell of a lot more responsibility than they are taking for the way the game is being played. It’s as simple as that,”

“I’m not going to name names and not going to name clubs but if you look at some of the decisions they’ve made, some of the things that have happened to players... I wouldn’t want to be at that club and I know if I was in that club I wouldn’t be playing very well.

“Clubs and their management and things that are happening at clubs are absolutely adding to the scoreboards.”

“I listen to you guys… you keep blaming the players. You’re so off the mark it doesn’t matter. You’re not in clubland, you don’t understand how it works,” he said.

“Until the club itself gets their management in order, their whole ship, the club, the players will not be able to respond. But you keep blaming the players.

“You’re saying ‘they get paid so they should go out there and play.’ Not one of you guys go to a toxic environment to work and do your best work.

“You’re professional in your roles as journalists, it doesn’t happen for you. It’s no different in a football team.

“But the easy blame is to put the blame on the player because he’s not playing well, or the team’s not playing well. You’ve got to look deeper than that guys, because that’s where the problem is.

“It’s not the rules, rules may be part of it, you just look at some of the transfer and movement of players within clubs, in the last month even. It’s pretty ordinary stuff.”

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
There has been some talk of Wayne Bennett's comments today, so I thought I'd post them here instead of clogging up other threads. I may be accused of bias here, but given some of the decisions Bennett himself has had a hand in over the last decade or so, these comments seem a bit hypocritical

Wayne Bennett Says:

“Management of clubs has a huge result on performances at the moment. Clubs have got to take a hell of a lot more responsibility than they are taking for the way the game is being played. It’s as simple as that,”

“I’m not going to name names and not going to name clubs but if you look at some of the decisions they’ve made, some of the things that have happened to players... I wouldn’t want to be at that club and I know if I was in that club I wouldn’t be playing very well.

“Clubs and their management and things that are happening at clubs are absolutely adding to the scoreboards.”

“I listen to you guys… you keep blaming the players. You’re so off the mark it doesn’t matter. You’re not in clubland, you don’t understand how it works,” he said.

“Until the club itself gets their management in order, their whole ship, the club, the players will not be able to respond. But you keep blaming the players.

“You’re saying ‘they get paid so they should go out there and play.’ Not one of you guys go to a toxic environment to work and do your best work.

“You’re professional in your roles as journalists, it doesn’t happen for you. It’s no different in a football team.

“But the easy blame is to put the blame on the player because he’s not playing well, or the team’s not playing well. You’ve got to look deeper than that guys, because that’s where the problem is.

“It’s not the rules, rules may be part of it, you just look at some of the transfer and movement of players within clubs, in the last month even. It’s pretty ordinary stuff.”
Wayne pushing an agenda? Well, I never!

Meanwhile, the roster management got totally fucked by the spontaneous introduction of an entirely new rule system.

We're just going to ignore that to fire not-so-subtle shots at our ex, are we Wayne?

Of course, criticising the NRL earns you a fine these days, so why not take the opportunity to just sling some more shit?

edit: Broncos were 2-0 before the rule change AND draw change and multiple Thursday night "test" games where they were absolutely creamed with 6-agains. Fucking triggered

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
What is he even talking about?
Clearly referring to Broncos going to shit through bad recruitment and the TPJ situation, IMO. He got a bit roped in the other week following the post game interview with TPJ. TPJ came to Brisbane for Bennett, etc.
Honestly, I love Wayne for what he did with Brisbane, but he's taking this too personally for my liking now. Needs to just let that go.
Also, he is wrong. Clubs cannot just recruit on a whim when the game changes so dramatically, it actually does fall hard on the players to adapt their own physiques and playing style to fit the game. Lodge being an excellent example of that. Some players have lifted, others haven't. Aside from that, the evidence is pretty clear to me that when less 6-agains are called early, less blowouts occur. That's ref discretion, as most of the time those calls are borderline and not consistent across matches.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Just went and watched the interview, and I understand Bennett's point better. He says at the end it isn't the rules alone that's causing it, and there he comes closer to the point. The rules change basically caused a domino effect and while some clubs also have their deficiencies, possibly causing a "toxic work environment", the players themselves have clearly played some part in that with their own behaviour and response to issues. Bennett will always back the players, because that is who he is, but here he is still only partly right in the whole club being the issue thing. The club wasn't forcing the lads out onto the pokies the night before a finals game.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Look, Bennet is obviously driving home an agenda and his points about the rules are flat our wrong, but he does raise plenty of valid points too.

He's obviously talking about us, but it's not just us he's right about. There are several clubs out there who are refusing to make tough calls or are looking for an easy fix or a silver bullet to correct major structural and cultural shortcomings.

Our club WAS an utter shambles, and it clearly wasn't just the players not doing their jobs. I'd defy anyone to suggest otherwise, especially given what we've seen in just a few weeks since we appointed a competent and not senile CEO.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
WB needs to remember that souffs got beat 56-12 by the panthers in rd11 & 50-0 by Melbourne in rd9.
I have no doubt he was taking a stab at the Broncos. With Ikin now calling the recruitment shots, he would love nothing more to see the club fail more then ever. Add to that 3 of his favourites in Lodge, TPJ & Milford have been told they’re no longer wanted.
Ironically enough since those 3 have been told they’re no longer in the clubs plans, the squad goes out and puts in one of their best performances in the last 2yrs.
Bennett has an agenda (as always) and was a heavy pusher for the new rules.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Sounds like a classic Bennett deflection away from his teams fade out.
Wish we had fade outs like WBs team, one win behind Melbourne and Penrith. Didn't think he deflected much when he said he was unhappy with Souths second half. He actually seemed very pissed and didn't shy away from speaking about it.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Could you guys be a little more specific?

In just three lines could you accurately describe WB's 'agenda' . It will help me understand because so many of you keep mentioning it and clearly you all 'know' it so a quick summary would be great !

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Look, Bennet is obviously driving home an agenda and his points about the rules are flat our wrong, but he does raise plenty of valid points too.

He's obviously talking about us, but it's not just us he's right about. There are several clubs out there who are refusing to make tough calls or are looking for an easy fix or a silver bullet to correct major structural and cultural shortcomings.

Our club WAS an utter shambles, and it clearly wasn't just the players not doing their jobs. I'd defy anyone to suggest otherwise, especially given what we've seen in just a few weeks since we appointed a competent and not senile CEO.
We have always had clubs like that, the game was never this bad. The rules have eroded the contest out of the game, theres no battle for field position, it's all possession. One of the best things about rugby league was the ability for teams to tactically speed it up when they smell blood or slow it down when under pressure. Lockyer was a master at it. That's all gone, there's no more kicking for touch because the scrum is gone. It resembles touch more than rugby league. Try's were celebrated because they were rare, now they are monotonous, often scored just running through a gassed line. The fabric of the game is gone and because V'landys is a protected species the media are bending over backwards blaming everything & anything for the state of the competition except him. Bennett has V'landys ear, hes done the sell for him before around the high contact crackdown farce, he also needs expansion to happen or hes looking at being without a club next year.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Could you guys be a little more specific?

In just three lines could you accurately describe WB's 'agenda' . It will help me understand because so many of you keep mentioning it and clearly you all 'know' it so a quick summary would be great !
As stu9 said, Wayne was a big supporter of the new rules. Particularly the 6 again. The fact he gets to take potshots at us is just a bonus.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
He’ also saying in a roundabout way that if he were here we wouldn’t lose tpj, lodge, milf etc.

Unread

Active Now

• HVbronco
  • Jazza
  • Jedhead
  • azza.79
  • RolledOates
  • MrMoore
  • Mr Fourex
  • Ronald
  • Brocko
  • Galah
  • Tim K
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Dash
  • Scdeac
  • Morkel
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.