NEWS Brisbane turned down Brodie Croft

Imagine if my response to the other poster involved was simply shit happens. Wouldn't have got a post like, that's for sure. You're 100% right, it is what it is, we deal with what we have, but that doesn't make the opinion that the Broncos fucked up void. They did, if they didn't, we would have a half back.

The Broncos didn't **** up. Shit happened.

But if that list is the epitome of what Bunn can bring to a team, I'm not overly impressed.

You're not impressed by a guy that brings 12/17 of a premiership side before they're 19? Cryil did 15/17 in 2006 so I'd say Bunn has learned pretty well.

The Broncos didn't **** up. Shit happened.

That's fine for you to think that, but if our club didn't **** up, we'd have a halfback. Someone fucked up, maybe it was someone who's not part of the Broncos that completely screwed up with the Broncos recruitment and retention. But I doubt that shit happened external to the club.

If Hunt does choose to leave for a ridiculous offer the this article isn't even written ...

and the decision by Wayne Bennett to release Taylor early remains a decision made in the best interests of the player...

hindsight is 20/20 ... if Bennett was able to foresee the future and foresee the size of the Dragons offer, maybe he keeps Taylor or maybe he is able to go to the market and grab Croft before Cronk made his announcement.

You're not impressed by a guy that brings 12/17 of a premiership side before they're 19? Cryil did 15/17 in 2006 so I'd say Bunn has learned pretty well.

Not when those 12 guys can be interchanged with another 12 that will do exactly the same job.

What's the excuse for the ones who never entered the system? The ones the "scouts" completely and utterly missed?

I am not sure what you mean really?

Not attacking you, but are you expecting scouts to be standing at the local park watching kids in suburbia playing tip and run footy? They can only look at whats in front of them, and someone playing the game ie juniors. Can't just pull talent out of thin air.

I am not sure what you mean really?

Not attacking you, but are you expecting scouts to be standing at the local park watching kids in suburbia playing tip and run footy? They can only look at whats in front of them, and someone playing the game ie juniors. Can't just pull talent out of thin air.

The scouts only job is to watch players, use their brain, and say this kid will be good, make him good. If they haven't achieved that, they haven't done their job correctly. Perhaps the fact they were missed, and they weren't in front of them, means we don't have enough eyes on the local park footy.

But they all left because we had our halves sorted for years and nobody could have predicted how that would work out. But you’re also cherry picking very small parts of my response. Each case is different and while we might have let a few through our fingers, others were signed for more than we could offer or just had shitty attitudes and went to clubs that don’t have the same media scrutiny that we receive.
Yeah, nah. Pretty sure I actually did predict it, and it earned me your (and others) ire because it implied criticism of Wayne "can do no wrong" Bennett.

True - Nashy and I hail from Mackay tho so we know the culture well...
Well, that explains a lot! :p

So we bring in Milford to assist hunt and we have a partnership that experts believe will be the future Australian 6 and 7.
I'm sorry... what? In which parallel world did that happen? And who are these experts you speak of?

The extent you and some other people will go to, to excuse the absolute meal our recruitment and retention over the last 5-8 years has been, is something to behold.

Guys, Port guessed that Ben Hunt would be mentally broken by a mistake made in the grand final and didn't warn anyone about it happening. It's basically his fault

Well, that explains a lot! :p

hahaha its true, we suck

I'm sorry... what? In which parallel world did that happen? And who are these experts you speak of?

The extent you and some other people will go to, to excuse the absolute meal our recruitment and retention over the last 5-8 years has been, is something to behold.
to be fair a lot of people were going apeshit, not just us fans, about their combo at mid to back end of '15. just very short lived. few could've foreseen their downfall in this manner.

DCE most overrated player in the entire comp I’ll take Niko over him any day tbh.

gif-surprised-13.gif

I know a few people who grew up with him who say otherwise

each to their own opinions, but the dealings i had with him and seen how we was were no issue.
just a typical teenage lad

Bunn has become the master at finding those missed players. 12 of the starting Grand Final 17 he found for Storm before they were 19.

Suliasi Vunivalu- Playing for Easts six times last year- 19 in total in 2015/2016.
Tim Glasby- Playing for Capras and Easts 98 times.
Felise Kaufusi- Playing for Pride and then Easts and Falcons 45 times now including three ISC games just last year.
Dale Finucane- Dogs released him two years early they didn't want him.
Josh Addo-Carr- six tries in nine games last year- Storm this year 20 in 25.
Kenny Bromwich- 42 ISC games from 2012-2015 trying to get a run for Storm.
Slade Griffin- 10 ISC games in 2016.
Jordan McLean- 11 ISC games in 2015.

Even Munster was still playing ISC in 2015- 46 games in total.

Just guys no one else saw too much in. I would not have picked a single one of those to be an NRL player of note. Maybe Munster once he started to really play well and of course that try against the Bears.
Maybe that’s where clubs are falling down, they are not finding those missed players so well. Focusing on the star.
Even Smith- playing 20’s for Cowboys. Who cared about him. Now he’s in line to replace Smith along with Grant- missed all of 2016 with his knee- Thudnerbolts captain last year and one ISC game.

bunn is the best around, closely followed by zammit i reckon.

brandon smith was one that i definitely had my doubts on, but bunn seen something. i guess that why he is in his job and me in mine.
i think the overall storm package as far as finding value for $ is why they are the pinnacle now.

Brandon Smith was a great pickup but he wasn't really a hidden gem like a Munster or Croft. The Storm just went out and got the best player in that situation. He was a Qld U16 rep, probably the best hooker in the NYC in 2016 and a Junior Kiwi. The Cowboys had him since he was 15. A couple of clubs were chasing him and the Cowboys wanted to re-sign him but Storm's 3-year deal and the chance to learn under Cam was too good.

DCE most overrated player in the entire comp I’ll take Niko over him any day tbh.

If Hunt does choose to leave for a ridiculous offer the this article isn't even written ...

and the decision by Wayne Bennett to release Taylor early remains a decision made in the best interests of the player...

hindsight is 20/20 ... if Bennett was able to foresee the future and foresee the size of the Dragons offer, maybe he keeps Taylor or maybe he is able to go to the market and grab Croft before Cronk made his announcement.

Taylor ia going to be better than hunt. He needed to decide between hunt or Milford , he could've kept ash and brought him through like croft and many other youngsters. I blame wayne for that very big **** up !!

hahaha its true, we suck

to be fair a lot of people were going apeshit, not just us fans, about their combo at mid to back end of '15. just very short lived. few could've foreseen their downfall in this manner.
Yes, without a doubt. But that was for a relatively short period, and even then, their flaws were still being pointed.
Which is why they were never seen as the future Australian 6 and 7. Milford was definitely in the picture as the next 5/8, but Hunt... he didn't have the qualities required.

Plenty of people argued they didn't have a kicking game or management skills, even at their peak in 2015, where everything clicked.

But "Milford was recruited to help out Hunt". I repeat the question... in what fucking universe did that happen?
It was always going to be Milford + "someone", as Boyd came with the no. 1 jersey sowed to his body.

So where is Strasser now?

Prob still at Redcliffe. To be honest, I think he was trying to balance footy with a tradie job. If he concentrated on just footy and worked hard, he might have played some NRL games.

The same could be said of your rewriting of Taylor's history. You death-rode Bennett & Boyd from the moment they were announced to come here, and have used your love affair with Taylor (and other select kids that you've emotionally invested in) to justify your stance.

When did Ash Taylor ask for a release? Oh yeah, it was about the time that Milford was being touted as a future rep player and Hunt was playing so well that only months later he was playing for Australia.

As for Milford being recruited to partner Hunt, um, where is the confusion coming from? Hunt was already playing as our halfback in late 2013, after Wallace was confirmed to be going back to Penrith. Talk of Milford didn't start until Hook tried to recruit him in the off-season. We couldn't get him out of the Raiders for that 2014 season but by the time he got here Hunt was killing it. There was never any confusion about who Milford would be partnering.

Unread

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Broncorob
  • cento
  • Alec
  • Hurrijo
  • Rookie Alan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.