NEWS Brisbane turned down Brodie Croft

bunn is the best around, closely followed by zammit i reckon.

brandon smith was one that i definitely had my doubts on, but bunn seen something. i guess that why he is in his job and me in mine.
i think the overall storm package as far as finding value for $ is why they are the pinnacle now.

Guess we hope that Paix and Fifita can develop into the stars the Broncos think they can be.

Are there any other guys coming through to watch out for?

gif-surprised-13.gif
Milford, is that you?

The same could be said of your rewriting of Taylor's history. You death-rode Bennett & Boyd from the moment they were announced to come here, and have used your love affair with Taylor (and other select kids that you've emotionally invested in) to justify your stance.

When did Ash Taylor ask for a release? Oh yeah, it was about the time that Milford was being touted as a future rep player and Hunt was playing so well that only months later he was playing for Australia.

As for Milford being recruited to partner Hunt, um, where is the confusion coming from? Hunt was already playing as our halfback in late 2013, after Wallace was confirmed to be going back to Penrith. Talk of Milford didn't start until Hook tried to recruit him in the off-season. We couldn't get him out of the Raiders for that 2014 season but by the time he got here Hunt was killing it. There was never any confusion about who Milford would be partnering.
You're the one trying to re-write history. You're confusing love affair and emotional investment with vision, but I'll forgive you that, because you're using your love affair with Bennett and emotional investment with Boyd, to excuse their failures.
Go ahead, please deny that I predicted exactly what is happening now!

BTW, here's the list of players I'm supposedly emotionally involved with, which I've talked up in here before they had a chance to prove me right or wrong:
- Matt Gillett
- Jordan Kahu
- Ashley Taylor
- Jayden Nikorima
- Joe Ofahengaue

Shock, horror!

As to Milford. He was recruited well before Hunt had established himself, BECAUSE all our halves experiences were absolute poo. We had Prince as halfback, and fucking Hoggman as 5/8 at the time FFS! Bennett had ZERO involvement in Milford's recruitment.

But even when Hunt did establish himself in the desert that was our halves roster, and made a good fist of it, plenty of people still had doubts about a partnership between the two.
2015 made it look much better than it really was, but even then, we had no game management or kicking to speak of, but Hunt was never spoken as the future Australian 7 by any expert. However, he was definitely spoken of as a potential utility, which I still believe he can become, both in the Qld and Australian teams.

Brandon Smith was a great pickup but he wasn't really a hidden gem like a Munster or Croft. The Storm just went out and got the best player in that situation. He was a Qld U16 rep, probably the best hooker in the NYC in 2016 and a Junior Kiwi. The Cowboys had him since he was 15. A couple of clubs were chasing him and the Cowboys wanted to re-sign him but Storm's 3-year deal and the chance to learn under Cam was too good.

I don't think too many people thought at the start of the year he will dominate for Falcons, be leading the CM Medal (We know now) and play NRL and go very close to a Test spot.

Promising 20's hooker is as far as you would have got.

My opinion of him certainly developed watching him play ISC, he was sensational last year. He's more Steve Walters than Cam Smith.

You're the one trying to re-write history. You're confusing love affair and emotional investment with vision, but I'll forgive you that, because you're using your love affair with Bennett and emotional investment with Boyd, to excuse their failures.
Go ahead, please deny that I predicted exactly what is happening now!

BTW, here's the list of players I'm supposedly emotionally involved with, which I've talked up in here before they had a chance to prove me right or wrong:
- Matt Gillett
- Jordan Kahu
- Ashley Taylor
- Jayden Nikorima
- Joe Ofahengaue

Shock, horror!

As to Milford. He was recruited well before Hunt had established himself, BECAUSE all our halves experiences were absolute poo. We had Prince as halfback, and fucking Hoggman as 5/8 at the time FFS! Bennett had ZERO involvement in Milford's recruitment.

But even when Hunt did establish himself in the desert that was our halves roster, and made a good fist of it, plenty of people still had doubts about a partnership between the two.
2015 made it look much better than it really was, but even then, we had no game management or kicking to speak of, but Hunt was never spoken as the future Australian 7 by any expert. However, he was definitely spoken of as a potential utility, which I still believe he can become, both in the Qld and Australian teams.

We didn't have Hoffman at 6 at the time. You've got your timelines all muddled. The Hoffman / Barba clusterfuck happened during the 2014 season, AFTER Milford had already confirmed he was coming here. That's because Hook wanted Milford here for the 2014 season. His Plan B was Kahu at five-eighth, but that idea was snapped in a Redcliffe trial game IIRC.

Hunt may not have been at halfback role for very long by that time, but he was most definitely the one slated to play the role from that point on.

We didn't have Hoffman at 6 at the time. You've got your timelines all muddled. The Hoffman / Barba clusterfuck happened during the 2014 season, AFTER Milford had already confirmed he was coming here. That's because Hook wanted Milford here for the 2014 season. His Plan B was Kahu at five-eighth, but that idea was snapped in a Redcliffe trial game IIRC.

Hunt may not have been at halfback role for very long by that time, but he was most definitely the one slated to play the role from that point on.
Yes, I was confused about Hoggman. Prince and Kahu were slated first, then Norman came in the picture after Kahu got injured. Hunt was definitely just a utility at the time, as he could never affirm himself to get a half spot when people (including myself) were wishing he would prove himself to Hook as a valid halves alternative during the whole 2013 season. Hunt only affirmed himself in 2014, and that was practically also by default, as Prince had retired, Norman was gone and Taylor was too young.

He was definitely NOT in the picture as the half to be partnered to Milford at the time Anthony was recruited, because none of them was doing anything worth mentioning. Need I remind you of how bad 2013 was in Broncos history?

Regardless, this does not invalidate anything else I've said, and you're just nitpicking at details to try keep your agenda about my anti-Bennett/Boyd bias going.

Yes, I was confused about Hoggman. Prince and Kahu were slated first, then Norman came in the picture after Kahu got injured. Hunt was definitely just a utility at the time, as he could never affirm himself to get a half spot when people (including myself) were wishing he would prove himself to Hook as a valid halves alternative during the whole 2013 season. Hunt only affirmed himself in 2014, and that was practically also by default, as Prince had retired, Norman was gone and Taylor was too young.

He was definitely NOT in the picture as the half to be partnered to Milford at the time Anthony was recruited, because none of them was doing anything worth mentioning. Need I remind you of how bad 2013 was in Broncos history?

Regardless, this does not invalidate anything else I've said, and you're just nitpicking at details to try keep your agenda about my anti-Bennett/Boyd bias going.

You mean like nitpicking at how you believe Hunt wasn't intended to partner Milford, events dating back to late 2013, in relation to how Hunt was performing at the end of 2015 when Bennett released Taylor?

Claiming it was a mistake to release Taylor wasn't "vision". It was nothing more than petty death-riding. We know how you felt about Bennett and Boyd, and how painful it was to admit that the 2015 season was a rousing success largely because of Bennett, Boyd, and the halves that weren't Ashley Taylor.

I don't think too many people thought at the start of the year he will dominate for Falcons, be leading the CM Medal (We know now) and play NRL and go very close to a Test spot.

Promising 20's hooker is as far as you would have got.

My opinion of him certainly developed watching him play ISC, he was sensational last year. He's more Steve Walters than Cam Smith.

That's fair enough but anyone who had seen him in the NYC wouldn't think playing great in ISC and playing NRL were some unreal possibility for him. He was the best hooker in his age group and probably by a bit. The near-Test spot was unexpected certainly. But my point is, he wasn't an unknown uncovered by the Storm. He'd be performing great wherever he went. The Cowboys knew it too. Josh Chudleigh (who won the CM Medal in 2016) wasn't going to be re-signed until Smith told the club he was taking the Storm's offer. He would've been Granville's backup and most likely played NRL for the Cowboys last year.

You mean like nitpicking at how you believe Hunt wasn't intended to partner Milford, events dating back to late 2013, in relation to how Hunt was performing at the end of 2015 when Bennett released Taylor?

Claiming it was a mistake to release Taylor wasn't "vision". It was nothing more than petty death-riding. We know how you felt about Bennett and Boyd, and how painful it was to admit that the 2015 season was a rousing success largely because of Bennett, Boyd, and the halves that weren't Ashley Taylor.
I didn't death-ride anyone or anything, I gave my opinion before anything happened.
Unlike you, I give credit when it's due, which I did for Bennett and the 2015 season, including never blaming Bennett for his decision to allow Taylor to go given the circumstances.

The fact my that my earlier fears ended up coming true a year later is something I am far from happy about.
I'd love to eat my words (which I did in 2015 publicly) and be celebrating Broncos success with Bennett at the helm and Boyd as captain, whom I praised and endorsed as the next captain after his stellar 2016.

Feel free to keep up your petty agenda, but as far as I'm concerned, you're just filthy I ended up being right with my predictions after all the discussions we had at the time, and I'm not going to keep derailing this thread because you can't see any further than your nose and are too butthurt to admit it.

This is pretty old, but absolutely on point here... so, please "Talk to the hand".

Are you sure about that?

Milford was recruited after Prince was told he would play the next season in QLD Cup if he chose to stay and after Wallace was told he would no longer be required beyond 2013.

There was a plan of moving Milford to halfback, but putting him in the halves with Hunt was in the picture.

I didn't death-ride anyone or anything, I gave my opinion before anything happened.
Unlike you, I give credit when it's due, which I did for Bennett and the 2015 season, including never blaming Bennett for his decision to allow Taylor to go given the circumstances.

The fact my that my earlier fears ended up coming true a year later is something I am far from happy about.
I'd love to eat my words (which I did in 2015 publicly) and be celebrating Broncos success with Bennett at the helm and Boyd as captain, whom I praised and endorsed as the next captain after his stellar 2016.

Feel free to keep up your petty agenda, but as far as I'm concerned, you're just filthy I ended up being right with my predictions after all the discussions we had at the time, and I'm not going to keep derailing this thread because you can't see any further than your nose and are too butthurt to admit it.

This is pretty old, but absolutely on point here... so, please "Talk to the hand".

But I'm not butthurt or filthy, and I have no reason to be. Bennett and Boyd coming here have most certainly been a success. We haven't won a premiership but we were fucking close, and none of what's happened since has been the fault of Bennett or his decision-making. Like I said to @Nashy, shit happens.

The bolded bit is what's laughable. What you're saying though is "well well well". You're saying that the Broncos should have kept Hoffman because with Boyd doing an achilles, he could actually be really useful. What I mean by that is you're taking two unrelated scenarios and twisting them together to make yourself look like some kind of visionary. But in reality, those two scenarios are unrelated. Choosing Hunt over Taylor is completely unrelated to Hunt leaving. Claiming to have foreseen Hunt's "shortcomings" and advocating for keeping Taylor is missing the point completely. In reality, Hunt could have been Thurston and the situation would play out exactly the same. We could have chosen Thurston over Taylor, and it would have been the right choice at the time. Just because "Thurston" chose to leave for a payday doesn't change that fact. It doesn't prove that keeping Taylor was the smart choice, unless of course you're claiming your "vision" was based on the fact you foresaw Hunt leaving for better money.

On the ones we missed, like DCE and Keary, should we have been doing a Roosters and gobbled up all of the young promising halves? Wallace and Lockyer starting, Hunt and Norman developing, and then also scouring the globe for a DCE? Then Hunt, Norman, Wallace starting, a couple of Niks developing, and busting our guts for a Keary? And these don't even include the lesser names that we don't hear much about that were also being developed but never made the headlines.

The deeper we expand our search for where it all went wrong, the more we begin to unearth the root cause.

Yes our talent scouts have been blind to what the others see.

But Peter Wallace successfully cockblocked a bevy of junior talent that might otherwise have been offered the chance to play grade. His re-signing in 2010 was a dark day in our history. If we had of cut Wallace then, much of what ails us now would not be anywhere near as troubling.

Are you sure about that?

Milford was recruited after Prince was told he would play the next season in QLD Cup if he chose to stay and after Wallace was told he would no longer be required beyond 2013.

There was a plan of moving Milford to halfback, but putting him in the halves with Hunt was in the picture.

especially given the way Hunt finished 2013 after finally winning the jersey from Wallace

The deeper we expand our search for where it all went wrong, the more we begin to unearth the root cause.

But Peter Wallace successfully cockblocked a bevy of junior talent that might otherwise have been offered the chance to play grade. His re-signing in 2010 was a dark day in our history. If we had of cut Wallace then, much of what ails us now would not be anywhere near as troubling.

giphy.gif

lol

Active Now

• westy316
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brotherdu
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • IceWorks
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • Strop
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • Maroon4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Santa
... and 39 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.