Broncoman's State of Origin thread of hope and despair

I just finished watching the first game from 1998. Thanks to this thread and the Australian cricket team's collapse I was motivated to watch it. I still believe that the Blues could've easily won the game if Johns had brought his kicking boots with him and if the Blues didn't fumble Langer grubber kicks in the in goal that gifted QLD 2 tries. I'm not going to take anything whatsoever off the Maroons who showed tremendous character and belief to win when it all looked lost. Despite the Blues loss that was a wonderful and enjoyable game that I got great pleasure out of watching and would recommend it to anyone.

I'll have a review up sometime tomorrow

So to paraphrase, if a bunch of things had been completely different, the result would have been different

Welcome to every game of every sport

So, the battle for Keary is over. Blues won.

I wonder if he will actually play, though. I can see him doing exactly what Jamie Lyon did.

Of course he'll play if he's picked. They pay you a truckload for Origin matches now, plus players seem to have rep clauses for salary boosts in their contracts.

Will believe it when I see him at the camp.

This has actually been news for a couple of days. I like Keary and think he has the potential to be a very good player so its good to see his name in the camp. He would have a better chance of playing for NSW than Queensland. I think injuries would be the only way Keary would play origin for the Maroons as their best future halves pairing would be Milford/Hunt.

Keary would have a better chance with NSW because of a guy who is currently a fullback and another guy who's only had 1 good season and currently has a very limited skillset?

On the other hand NSW has some fairly retarded criteria when it comes to halves seletion, so maybe he does have a better chance there, since he's playing for a popular side.

So what's the deal with the eligibility rules, I just read an article saying he was born in Qld?

I think injuries would be the only way Keary would play origin for the Maroons as their best future halves pairing would be Milford/Hunt.
I think it's far too early to be saying that Milford/Hunt is the QLD future halves pairing. Hunt has had one great year along with 100 nothing great matches before that, and is already 25. Daly Cherry Evans is one of our future halves and is basically the same age, so I can't see Hunt taking his spot. Milford has played all of 4-5 games in the halves and was better at the back.

I love both players, but they are far from cemented as our best future halves pairing.

This has actually been news for a couple of days. I like Keary and think he has the potential to be a very good player so its good to see his name in the camp. He would have a better chance of playing for NSW than Queensland. I think injuries would be the only way Keary would play origin for the Maroons as their best future halves pairing would be Milford/Hunt.

Because that's what origin is all about right?

FWIW I couldbt give a **** about who keary plays for. He is a good player but I think he is being majorly over rated at the moment and agree with you that he would be behind hunt and Milford for qld Anyone.

But this 'make them play for us because we got him in a loophole' bullshit is pathetic and is ruining what origin is all about. Th heart of origin is pushing yourself to levels you shouldn't because of the passion for your state. Forcing players to play for a state they feel nothing for will ruin everything that has been built

Forcing players to play for a state they feel nothing for will ruin everything that has been built

This is what the NSWRL have become. A totalitarian entity that has to conscript young players to join their shitty team.

NSW have effectively handed Luke Keary a prison sentence, rather than a rep honour.

I just saw a meme on facebook that easily shows my point about Keary. It's a photo of Laurie Daley with the caption "we've got Luke Keary to play in our camp" with an image below of Milford and Hunt below also adding DCE as backup. As I've said if Keary was in the Maroon camp he would be behind Milford, Hunt and DCE in the future and Cronk and Thurston in the present day.

I could see Laurie picking Keary as a bench utility just to lock him in, whether he's deserving or not.

NSW have plenty of talented halves coming through in Luke Brooks, Mitchell Moses, Jackson Hastings & Mitch Cornish.

I just saw a meme on facebook that easily shows my point about Keary. It's a photo of Laurie Daley with the caption "we've got Luke Keary to play in our camp" with an image below of Milford and Hunt below also adding DCE as backup. As I've said if Keary was in the Maroon camp he would be behind Milford, Hunt and DCE in the future and Cronk and Thurston in the present day.
That's speculative at best... we may hope Hunt and Milford will get there, but there's no guarantee of it happening.

Keary may or may not become better than them, but the fact is that they are so desperate in NSW'king land, they are trying to force a guy who clearly wants nothing to do with them, to play for them anyway. And before you even try to mention Inglis, let me remind you that Inglis actually wanted to play for Qld.

The fucking blews have totally lost the plot and have no clue what Origin is about.

nswhitlers_zps02ada4db.jpg

could the (only) silver lining of this be that people shut the **** up about Inglis or any other QLDer with semi-debatable eligibility. if you're going to nick Keary then you can't possible whinge about anything that has happened before

could the (only) silver lining of this be that people shut the **** up about Inglis or any other QLDer with semi-debatable eligibility. if you're going to nick Keary then you can't possible whinge about anything that has happened before

Haha as if. Sterlo was from QLD and that argument stopped nothing. There's no getting through to them. Superior education system, my ass!

Sterlo is a poor example since he's a Blue through and through as per the criteria.

If you were to hold place of birth against anybody, then Billy 'QUEENSLANDER' Moore is a Blue - which is plain stupid.

No, the example to use is Steve Rogers who played his junior footy for the Gold Coast Tigers but ended up representing the Blues in the very first game of Origin.

That was 30 odd years ago tho and Steve was never particularly that great in this arena but the point still stands.

Both Inglis and Keary wanted to play for QLD. That's what Origin is about.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Midean
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Justwin
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • lynx000
  • davidp
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • FGfrom50
  • dasherhalo
  • Painin the Haas
  • Johnny92
  • Maroon4life
  • Wolfie
  • Jedhead
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.