OPINION Broncos ‘Set to’ Win Cobbo's Signature. Badel warning.

The thing is, he loves the club, is a smart kid and is playing now in a really positive environment. We are no longer a basket case, in fact are currently contenders. It would take a lot to lose him.
$900k a year... would take a lot to lose him...

Warriors have entered the chat

I get the feeling Ikin, DD and Kev already have him locked up it's just a matter of a signature and finalising things.
If he's going to continue on this trajectory he's putting bums on seats like Ponga, Tedesco, Turbo and when the Dolphins come in next season we're not going to be loosing young fans to them because they all will want to be Selwyn Cobbo.
He's a jewel in the Broncos crown.

I get the feeling Ikin, DD and Kev already have him locked up it's just a matter of a signature and finalising things.
If he's going to continue on this trajectory he's putting bums on seats like Ponga, Tedesco, Turbo and when the Dolphins come in next season we're not going to be loosing young fans to them because they all will want to be Selwyn Cobbo.
He's a jewel in the Broncos crown.
I get the sneaky suspicion that he's LITERALLY already signed but they are waiting for a loss or right time to announce it. There was a dramatic change in his performances a few weeks ago..

I get the sneaky suspicion that he's LITERALLY already signed but they are waiting for a loss or right time to announce it. There was a dramatic change in his performances a few weeks ago..
First 5 games 18 errors last 6 games only 4 which probably have come from contesting kicks, massive turn around like a guy playing with confidence which would come from knowing your futures sorted..

I have a feeling we’re waiting for the bye to make some announcements/finalise decisions.

And if we’re 6 in a row we’ll have pretty good bargaining power.

Hopefully we’ll announce Cobbo Oatesy and Farnworth extensions

So every club bar Storm & Penrith are chasing Selwyn at $900k/season according to Fox. That's fullback coin. How many clubs would ditch their current fullback for Selwyn & be able to/want to pay that coin?
This lazy piece of shit journalism is what pisses fans off. So amateur. 14 clubs! Hahaha honestly. Even if every single club that has a bad fullback or centre (unlikely to pay a centre that much, especially when he's played less than 10 games there and his better games were on the wing, but let's EVEN leave that possibility open) were that desperate to get him it still only accounts for 8 clubs lol. That's being generous too! In this worst/best case scenario are 6 other clubs ALSO taking a punt and completely revolutionising their roster/spine?

Ffs, its so lazy and amateur. Sorry mchunt but journalism in this country is shockingly poor. It's like a gossip section of a high school newsletter in a poorly educated country

It is all guess work but in this case the figures could be accurate in terms of money even though unlikely. I could imagine the Dogs throwing it at him as they need a good news story desperately. I don’t think the Tigers would have the money but if they did they likely would and then there’s Redcliffe he need a marquee signing and will need to get creative to make it happen, I could see them starting to get desperate enough.

Almost every club would want him, he is arguably the best young talent in the game, so it is obvious if they could get him and fit him under the cap, anyone would want him. So it just takes simple logic and then a couple of hints of being in the know when you aren’t and hey presto, you have Badel’s MO in a nutshell.

To me, I just can't see him leaving the Broncos especially leaving his comfort zone of being close to his family and friends. He seems to me to be a young fella that would value family and friends way above a bit more money offered by another club. And he just looks so happy being in the Broncos environment, as do the other players.
Get it done DD and Ikin..

Ffs, its so lazy and amateur. Sorry mchunt but journalism in this country is shockingly poor. It's like a gossip section of a high school newsletter in a poorly educated country

Don't apologise to that ****...he and his "mates" are a large part of the problem.

$900k a year... would take a lot to lose him...

Warriors have entered the chat

I love Selwyn as much as any other Broncos fan but any club prepared to pay 900k for a rookie who hasn't really showed anything other than on the wing, going to be hard to convince me that's not reckless spending. Even Walsh, they got him for half of that.

I know we all think he will transition into fullback and be a great player for us when he does that but he hasn't done it yet and in the limited time he's been given, he's looked well short of the mark in the NRL.

I think he needs to develop his personality more so than his footy smarts, everyone tells you he's a quiet kid, probably needs to find his voice if he wants to be our fullback. That's being overly critical though, he's barely had half a season in the NRL.

I'd say the top offer from us will be around 550/600 for a couple of extra years. He gets to be a star at home without disruption and then after 12-18 months we'll talk about the real big money. Short term he turns down 6 to 7 hundred thousand and relocation etc.

I have little doubt he will get big offers over multiple years. Wouldn't surprise to see 3x850/900 k contracts from multiple clubs. He might be well advised and make a choice with all the facts laid out which most of us would hope is the case.

Nobody is paying 900k for a winger. We will get him for around 400k for a couple of years then reassess if he becomes our fullback in that time.

This lazy piece of shit journalism is what pisses fans off. So amateur. 14 clubs! Hahaha honestly. Even if every single club that has a bad fullback or centre (unlikely to pay a centre that much, especially when he's played less than 10 games there and his better games were on the wing, but let's EVEN leave that possibility open) were that desperate to get him it still only accounts for 8 clubs lol. That's being generous too! In this worst/best case scenario are 6 other clubs ALSO taking a punt and completely revolutionising their roster/spine?

It's come straight from Tas- his manager.

"I haven't had to pick up the phone, to create interest. All the calls are in bound and I've had 14 clubs contact me to express interest in wanting to sign Selwyn. The interest has come over the last three to six months.

"Some clubs have gone harder than others but the interest has really stepped up in the last two weeks."

So, Badel has increased the figures... there are now 14 clubs chasing Cobbo (only Melbourne and Penrith yet to express interest.) With unnamed rival clubs "revealing" (no quotes) they would be prepared to pay 900k a season for Cobbo

Ben Ikin says:

“I am pragmatic about the situation,” Ikin said.

“I can see how well Selwyn is playing and it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of smart recruitment minds at other clubs are seeing exactly the same thing.

“Simon Scanlan (Broncos Academy boss) has done a wonderful job developing our players and that’s always our issue as a development club.

“Ezra Mam made his debut against the Knights and he has been with us since he was 13, so clubs are always going to come after our best young kids.

“I know there is talk about Selwyn, but before that it would have been Reece Walsh or Sam Walker and even David Fifita. There’s been talk about Payne Haas’ contract and Herbie Farnworth has interest, so the talk about Selwyn is nothing new to us.

“It’s not an uncommon problem the Broncos face.”

Kevvie says

“We are very hopeful we can keep him here,” he said.

“Selwyn looks good in maroon and we intend on keeping him here for many years.

“We love what he brings, even at such a young age. He has played some great footy which is great for us as a team and great for Broncos fans and everyone involved in the club.

“We see Selwyn as a long-term player for our club.”

The 900k is also followed up with "as part of plans to move him to fullback."

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Painin the Haas
  • IceWorks
  • Ejbroncos
  • Fozz
  • NSW stables
  • barker
  • Santa
  • lynx000
  • broncotville
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.